Dechrome - Spray Paint vs Plasti Dip vs Wrap

MyCarMykar

Hey Guys,

Will be wanting to dechrome those emblems, side mirror body, grill of my car.

Spray Paint vs Plasti Dip vs Wrap

Please advise which options to go for various part of the car to dechrome.

1) side mirror

2) front grill

3) emblems

4) roof of car

On my previous ride, my roof is wrapped, my side mirror and grill is sprayed by workshop.

Was thinking about plasti dip but the lasttt time I tried it myself, didn't quite turn out well, seems to peel rather easily; like I use finger run through without effort can peel off already. (maybe I didn't apply enough coats).

Do recommend me places that does a good wrap / plasti dip services.

Edited by MyCarMykar
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

7 minutes ago, MyCarMykar said:

Hey Guys,

1) side mirror

2) front grill

3) emblems

4) roof of car

On my previous ride, my roof is wrapped, my side mirror and grill is sprayed by workshop.

Was thinking about plasti dip but the lasttt time I tried it myself, didn't quite turn out well, seems to peel rather easily; like I use finger run through without effort can peel off already. (maybe I didn't apply enough coats).

Why not try one small section again with more coats if you still have some leftovers...?

Internal Moderator
48 minutes ago, MyCarMykar said:

Hey Guys,

1) side mirror

2) front grill

3) emblems

4) roof of car

I recommend wrapping for your case. When you are selling the car, you still can return the car to the original state. 

Can try New Age Polish. They do PPF and also vinyl wrapping, I like how they will prep your car for the wrapping. They will thoroughly wash the car and clay it before wrapping.

36 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I recommend wrapping for your case. When you are selling the car, you still can return the car to the original state. 

Can try New Age Polish. They do PPF and also vinyl wrapping, I like how they will prep your car for the wrapping. They will thoroughly wash the car and clay it before wrapping.

Hi Bro,

but for those tiny areas like emblems cannot wrap right, these can only spray or plasti dip.

correct me if wrong haha 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, MyCarMykar said:

Hey Guys,

1) side mirror

2) front grill

3) emblems

4) roof of car

For big large areas, i go for wrap. Small little stuffs can spray.

i dechrome my window trim using plastidip. you need to spray a few mist layers first. Then maybe a coat or 2 wet layers. Then quickly peel of the tape. Esp in spore, the paint dries quite fast. 

Internal Moderator
36 minutes ago, MyCarMykar said:

Hi Bro,

but for those tiny areas like emblems cannot wrap right, these can only spray or plasti dip.

correct me if wrong haha 

Erm. Yah. emblem no need to worry lah. Just go taobao and buy. you want what color also have.

2 hours ago, MyCarMykar said:

Hey Guys,

1) side mirror

2) front grill

3) emblems

4) roof of car

U can try Vinylworks at WCEGA Plaza (Bt Batok). They can advise you fully on the various methods and their pros and cons. They can go through your car for each part that you want to dechrome what is the best way.

For goodness sake go to Youtube and watch how ppl do a proper plastidip. It's not as easy as your think.

If you do not use a primer and just "spray", you will fail and fail horribly. Before that you need to strip the surface of car wax, oil and water. Aiya, go watch lah. I have seen so much fail on cars doing the same thing you do. I have seen "holes" on the surfaces that ppl applied plastidip, black plastidip background with chrome "holes" due to "sandblasting" from rain and sand on our roads. LoL...why do ppl even bother?

Noobs will think plastidip very easy to apply so they will fail just as easily and peel. You have to treat it like car paint and apply the same basic know how. Nvm forget what I said. Be prepared to see "holes" on your plastidip paint job. LoL.

• Praise 1

22 hours ago, MyCarMykar said:

1) side mirror -  PLASTIDIP

2) front grill - PLASTIDIP

3) emblems - PLASTIDIP

4) roof of car -  WRAP

i did plastidip for side mirror n emblem last time. never do the grill though

done by a professional it should be ok lasted me till i sold my car

but went to msia kena stone so its normal t have some "chip" 

i cant recommend u plastidip place becuz the one i went to alr closed down lol

roof of car definitely wrap i did mine at Soh guan chuan many years ago at ubi

if u live in the east another to consider is johnson stickers

near SGC also

On 1/12/2021 at 12:29 PM, MyCarMykar said:

Hey Guys,

1) side mirror

2) front grill

3) emblems

4) roof of car

Definitely stickers. Avoid plastdip.

On 1/13/2021 at 10:38 AM, StreetFight3r said:

i did plastidip for side mirror n emblem last time. never do the grill though

done by a professional it should be ok lasted me till i sold my car

but went to msia kena stone so its normal t have some "chip" 

i cant recommend u plastidip place becuz the one i went to alr closed down lol

roof of car definitely wrap i did mine at Soh guan chuan many years ago at ubi

if u live in the east another to consider is johnson stickers

near SGC also

Isn't SGC Johnson? 

emblem, logo, grill, side mirror cover ... can buy from taobao especially for gloss black or matte black or CF

for window trim ... best is vinly wrap - risk is lower than spray (screw up)

Edited by Wt_know

Neutral Newbie

pretty old thread but I am here to realive this one. As Current answers on this thread are not enough to decide which one is best. According my observation mostly people are recommending vinyl wraps though I am a little reluctant to vinyl wraps but I would like to give it a try. When I Google midnight purple wrap to match my emblems with car paint this site vinyl frog pops up at the top of all but it doesn't have too much reviews/ in other words no people are talking about this brand. Is it recommended?

Edited by kaleb223

Neutral Newbie

For car owners who want a lasting change of style, a car wrap is a great alternative. Car wraps can last up to five years and protect the paint. In contrast, plasti-dip is perfect for car owners wanting to also protect the rims and have a more practical application process.

↡ Advertisement