Hawkerpreneur ... Anyone ?

Bezbee

Had a friend who used to own and run a chicken rice stall all by himself. Not easy but can earn a low 5 figure nett income monthly. After 3 years,he gave up...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, CarNutz said:

Had a friend who used to own and run a chicken rice stall all by himself. Not easy but can earn a low 5 figure nett income monthly. After 3 years,he gave up...

有錢沒命花

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Angcheek said:

Also depends on location.  Open in many riches e.g GCB , orchard , newtown ... you can charge higher.  Just compare the kuay in geylang and orchard ... same kuay but hell alot more expensive in orchard. 😂😜

Afternote: kuay refer to kuay png ok 👌  dont think too much 😄

I know i know. hahaha. We same frequency one mah, Kuay png. I know. hahahahha.

• Haha! 1

44 minutes ago, CarNutz said:

why didn't he consider hire a helper ... with 5 figure nett income he can jolly well afford to hire a helper reduce his burden/stress .... alternatively reduce the  operating hours to just either lunch or dinner? ... not many can generate a 5 figure nett income wor ...   

Many can't even able to make decent income after deducting expenses. 

3 hours ago, Jusnel said:

I see the increasing % of FTs cooking our local hawker food 

You want to see until 100% cooked by FT? 

As long as the food is good, the place not atas, I go and eat 

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Would you want your kids to aim to be hawkerpreneurs? If not just have to accept more foreign labour cooking for us.

"A former army cook, he now helms a three-Michelin-starred restaurant in Seoul" https://cnaluxury.channelnewsasia.com/remarkableliving/gaon-three-michelin-star-restaurant-seoul-south-korea-13935818

As long as my kids like what they do, I have no objection. 

It's better than your kid earn a law degree and come home tell u that he's not interested to be lawyer. 

Being a hawker can lead to bigger things.

The most impt thing is to have a Growth mindset.

• Praise 5

8 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

After our hawker culture got listed in unesco, they wanna glamourize the whole industry.

Maybe the government scare that if there is no succession of hawker, we will be delisted.

Waiting for Amy Khor to come cut ribbon for my kuay png stall grand opening 😋

• Haha! 7

Just remember - everyone needs to eat. 

With enough salary, any job can become respectable. The problem is that business owners pay a pittance to the stall helpers, and the stall helpers get smart once they know the recipe. But this is part and parcel of surviving and thriving. But some businesses have surmounted this problem - those that have opened franchises and gone overseas, like Old Chang Kee, Song Fa, etc.

Around 5 years ago, several of my generation were quite into the F&B - opening restaurants and taking over bubble tea shops. It wasn't that they couldn't get enough business - it was because they couldn't get enough help, particularly during the peak evening and super peak weekend and ultra peak holiday evenings. 

As they say in Chinese, money can make ghosts push the millstone, i.e., with money, you can do anything you like. The problem is probably they didn't offer enough money because they cared too much about their profit. But what do I know, I never owned a business, and I don't think I ever will.

I just hope that i can continue to enjoy my true blue Singaporean hawker food into the twilight years of my life. As nice as it is, the gradual invasion of foreign food, Western/American/Japanese/Thai/Korean and most recently Mainland Chinese, though giving more options, is crowding out traditional local fare. 

• Praise 2

Likely he wanted to maximize earnings and also he can do it all alone. OMO. Remember this acronym?

Unfortunately it wasn't sustainable in the long run for him.

2 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

please wait a moment, will be coming over soon

inbound2112229845325552103.jpg.45d42c1a0f52395d1be955b8259bfecb.jpg

Edited by Staff69
  • Haha! 7

3 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

We are back to our Singapore problem 

We only want our kids to be doctors, lawyer, engineer and sit in office. 

but if u look at another way round.

if u dun want your kids to be a doctor lawyer engineer,  u want them to be a hawker instead, why spend so much money and pressure then to get a cert?

after sec and finish ns can ask them train to be a hawker already . 

• Praise 2

I understand this initiative but not many young locals would want to seek a career as a hawker, and the returns not that great for the hours, effort and environment. 

Maybe it will be more lucrative driving grab or delivering food for non-degree holders? 

• Praise 1

I can only say there's no short cut to serving up good food.
It can definitely be a good living for people who are lucky and do well.

It's definitely one of the toughest jobs in terms of hours, sacrifice and working conditions (hot, cramped space, prone to accidents like cuts and burns).

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

17 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

you are her egg supplier? 

On 1/12/2021 at 2:22 PM, Volvobrick said:

Would you want your kids to aim to be hawkerpreneurs? If not just have to accept more foreign labour cooking for us.

In the not too distant future, most of the 'hawker food' would be sourced from food factories with centralised kitchens staffed by lowly paid foreign labour

The hawkerpreneur is just a marketing guy who dresses up the factory food and collect $$

• Haha! 3

33 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

I understand this initiative but not many young locals would want to seek a career as a hawker, and the returns not that great for the hours, effort and environment. 

Maybe it will be more lucrative driving grab or delivering food for non-degree holders? 

In the old days, many ppl became hawker coz limited job opportunities due to limited education. And they were determined to succeed despite the hard work otherwise will starve

Can't see the same determination in society today 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3