Hawkerpreneur ... Anyone ?

Bezbee

30 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I can only say there's no short cut to serving up good food.
It can definitely be a good living for people who are lucky and do well.

this 1 totally true. 

i know a few stalls. or eatly  the food personally handle by the boss, business is very good. q every day ,

but once, they open branch and pass to their worker to handle, the standard drop.  (or they sell the business to other)

↡ Advertisement

10 minutes ago, Soya said:

In the old days, many ppl became hawker coz limited job opportunities due to limited education. And they were determined to succeed despite the hard work otherwise will starve

Can't see the same determination in society today 

nowadays youngsters are more worldly lah. They look at ROI also [laugh]

5 minutes ago, Beregond said:

this 1 totally true. 

i know a few stalls. or eatly  the food personally handle by the boss, business is very good. q every day ,

but once, they open branch and pass to their worker to handle, the standard drop.  (or they sell the business to other)

This one classic case:

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/kay-lee-trendsetter-hawkers-selling-recipes-now-down-original-store

• Praise 1

My guess is hawker centre culture will still survive in the future, but the stores will be run by a new generation of Malaysians, Chinese and Indians. 80 to 90% of the current older generation of local hawkers will just disappear then.

• Praise 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 1:11 PM, mersaylee said:

I donno man...many hawkers liked my parents couldn't do other trade...worked long hours to raise the children, scrimped on themselves but provided the best they could to send them to school for a better future...

Now? Send the children to school to be hawker? 🤔

i am with you man!!

My parents used to run a small stall in the wet market many years ago, long hours and scrimped and save to put us thru uni so that i dun have to work like them ....now I ask my son to go back to being a hawker.

My father will wait for me in the next life and spank me!![smallcry]….

not that i have any offence to anyone being a hawker...is a decent job and they are not robbing or cheating..

Edited by Spidey10
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

6 minutes ago, Beregond said:

this 1 totally true. 

Everytime i cook for my family and my kids keep asking, when is dinner ready. I'll tell them this [laugh]

• Haha! 1

Just now, Lala81 said:

nowadays youngsters are more worldly lah. They look at ROI also [laugh]

Exactly. The best ROI is to get the stuff from centralised food factories cooked by lowly paid bangla or PRC. They can just do the plating, collect $$ and appear in ST as a 'hawkerpreneur' success story.....lol

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

57 minutes ago, Beregond said:

but if u look at another way round.

if u dun want your kids to be a doctor lawyer engineer,  u want them to be a hawker instead, why spend so much money and pressure then to get a cert?

after sec and finish ns can ask them train to be a hawker already . 

Yeah, but that's another problem with our school system. It brainwash us so much that we only think in one direction. 

Look at EU and other countries. They have certified apprenticeship vocational schools, other than those universities path.  

And these apprenticeship are earning as much as degree holders, and climbed the corporate ladder. 

Many of their C level executives and academic professors went through the apprenticeship pathway. 

In fact, the system make them to work first and come back to vocational school for formal training 

It works so well for decades.  Why we think they are so good in engineering and R&D? From those degree holders? Nah!

• Praise 1

Just now, Jusnel said:

Yeah, but that's another problem with our school system. It brainwash us so much that we only think in one direction. 

Look at EU and other countries. They have certified apprenticeship vocational schools, other than those universities path.  

And these apprenticeship are earning as much as degree holders, and climbed the corporate ladder. 

must agree with u on this. we  look at amdk.

they hold their engineers and cook and mech in high respect ( dun know how to call it )

but here, engineer cooks  mech tyre man is a lower level of work.

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Soya said:

Exactly. The best ROI is to get the stuff from centralised food factories cooked by lowly paid bangla or PRC. They can just do the plating, collect $$ and appear in ST as a 'hawkerpreneur' success story.....lol

True. Everyone dreams of being the one that can scale it up to be a proper franchise. 

If it becomes more like that, then maybe we''ll become more like angmoh. jiak home made sandwich for lunch [laugh]

• Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Beregond said:

must agree with u on this. we  look at amdk.

they hold their engineers and cook and mech in high respect ( dun know how to call it )

but here, engineer cooks  mech tyre man is a lower level of work.

Maybe cos the Han Chinese have always had a high regard for scholars. It was always a way for a less than noble birth person to rise up the ranks.
Other than warriors/generals.
In a sense, at least in Northern asia and SG, it's not surprising why we hold degrees/scholarly achievement to be something noteworthy.

Not many people were university graduates in the 1970s and before.

Similarly restaurant chefs only became increasingly accepted as a desirable trade in the late 90s even in the west.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

True. Everyone dreams of being the one that can scale it up to be a proper franchise. 

If it becomes more like that, then maybe we''ll become more like angmoh. jiak home made sandwich for lunch [laugh]

Actually toast box and ya kun oredi living the hawkerpreneur dream....lol

Very soon we will see some young hawkerpreneur featured in ST standing beside their nice cars or condo...then many will follow to jump into this trade.

10 minutes ago, Soya said:

hmm first mover advantage mah. Got brand recognition liao.
Ok lah. Better they earn then give the consumer money to starbucks. [laugh]

29 minutes ago, Soya said:

cannot see like this.

u need see how many fail example also lol. the % of those that actually make it is extremely low.

how many teens in their 20s even have the fund to even attempt to be a erpreneur of any kind if without the help of the family. 

Seriously, the govt has ran out of ideas for locals. Hawkers, drivers, security guards, F&B, cleaners. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Letting in all the FTs do the office and higher end jobs.

Studied 3 years for diploma then asked people to be hawkers. Secondary school dropout also can be hawkers.

Why don’t ‘fry bee hoon without any fire’ Amy Khor asked her kids to be hawkers? Lead by example Mdm.

Just because got the UNESCO thingy then try to make it glamorous by giving it a fanciful name Hawkerpreneur.

What’s next? Cleanerpreneur? Securpreneur?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 4