Hawkerpreneur ... Anyone ?

Bezbee

image.thumb.png.8a432dc181a01eb9ae6c8f0649cf104a.png

Poly, ITE grads can train to be hawkers under new programme 

The programme can accommodate about 50 people over three years.

Adeline Tan

PUBLISHED

JAN 11, 2021, 10:24 PM SGTFACEBOOKTWITTER

WhatsappLinkedinFB MessengerTelegramRedditWeChatPinterestPrintPurchase ArticleCopy Permalink

SINGAPORE - A new work-study programme to help ease the entry of young people into the hawker trade will be launched in March.

The Work-Study Post-Diploma (Certificate in Hawkerpreneurship), which comes under the SkillsFuture Singapore work-study programme, is the first of its kind.

Announcing the programme at the second edition of the SG Hawker Seminar on Monday (Jan 11), Senior Minister of State for Sustainability and the Environment Amy Khor said: "With the increasing recognition and appreciation of hawker fare, setting up a hawker stall can be considered as a gateway into the F&B sector, and there could be budding food and beverage entrepreneurs who may aspire to join the hawker trade."

She said the National Environment Agency (NEA) and SkillsFuture Singapore (SSG) will work together with Temasek Polytechnic to launch the programme as a new track under the Hawkers' Development Programme (HDP), which was started in January last year to equip hawkers with the relevant skills and competencies to run a hawker stall.

The 12-month programme, which takes in its first batch in March, will be open to all recent graduates from polytechnics and the Institute of Technical Education.

Participants will undergo a two-month classroom-based training, followed by a four-month apprenticeship and a six-month mentorship with experienced hawkers.

The programme can accommodate about 50 people over three years, and both mentors and apprentices will receive a monthly training allowance of $500 and $1,000 respectively.

As at Jan 1 this year, more than 170 people have completed the training stage of the HDP, and 41 of them are moving on to the final stage of setting up their incubation stalls.

Due to the encouraging response, the number of training places under the scheme will be increased from 100 to 300 places over the next two years, said Dr Khor.

In line with that, the number of incubation stalls under the Incubation Stall Programme (ISP), will go up from the current 20 to 80 stalls in the next few years.

The ISP supports aspiring hawkers by providing them with pre-fitted stalls and subsidised rentals for over 15 months.

Dr Khor also said support has been given to hawkers to help them digitalise, in the form of a new module launched by NEA and SSG titled Adapt to Change - Digitalisation for Hawkers under the HDP.

The module, which began its inaugural run last month, is taught by Nanyang Polytechnic's Asian Culinary Institute.

She said: "To keep our hawker culture thriving, we cannot just do the same things (in) the same way. We need to adapt to change and do the same things in different ways, which is borne out by our experience with the Covid-19 pandemic."

Edited by Bezbee
added photo
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

I donno man...many hawkers liked my parents couldn't do other trade...worked long hours to raise the children, scrimped on themselves but provided the best they could to send them to school for a better future...

Now? Send the children to school to be hawker? 🤔

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

Internal Moderator

After our hawker culture got listed in unesco, they wanna glamourize the whole industry.

Maybe the government scare that if there is no succession of hawker, we will be delisted.

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I donno man...many hawkers liked my parents couldn't do other trade...worked long hours to raise the children, scrimped on themselves but provided the best they could to send them to school for a better future...

my sentiments as well ....   last time my parents warn me ... bo tak che  (no education) later shao tuo kar ( cleaner) ... or become hawker  ... but but  .... now our govt encourage our children be hawkers ?  Even come up with such atas term Hawkerpreneur 😰

then they can import FT to fill all the skilled  & office jobs isit  ?? 😡

win liao lo ... 

• Praise 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha! 3

6 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

After our hawker culture got listed in unesco, they wanna glamourize the whole industry.

Maybe the government scare that if there is no succession of hawker, we will be delisted.

If that's the case, they should encourage those who are retrenched / jobless , esp the group who drive Grab as they are not able to find job le ... instead of targeting the children / young ...

• Praise 6

the work hours of a hawker is extremely long. say u sell breakfast at 6. u need prepare food at 4? what time u need wake up?

hawker cannot rest on weekend and holiday or sat sun when there will be more customers

how many ppl can tahan this lifestyle, its not for 1 or 2 year or 5 years, 10 years??

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Liked our many forefathers... not enough food, too many mouths, few bowls, ownself cook ownself eat won't die one...

That's why sprinkle salts...Unesco heritage...preserve this offshoot food culture...glamourize this and that to veil the...you all know lah...😁

Many Malaysia Street food at various malls...only one dedicated singapore food fare at seletar mall...which I hope but doubt it'll last...look at the offerings and the disconnected pricing...😅

Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, Bezbee said:

If that's the case, they should encourage those who are retrenched / jobless , esp the group who drive Grab as they are not able to find job le ... instead of targeting the children / young ...

You are right on this part. They should at least market this to the retrenched /jobless and grab driver. I think there will be an increase of chwee kueh stall.

Cuz that one no need to do much one, just dig the kueh out, and scoop the cai por. Very good for entry hawkerprenuer.

And I am also wondering, really got ppl wanna learn how to be hawker? My friend open a western stall at serangoon garden hawker centre, but less than 2 years he closes it off le. He says long hours, don't earn much and really tedious.

If got money, I think open cafe better. You go HC eat western the most you pay $8. But you go cafe eat a plate of carbonara also have $15.

• Haha! 4

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

You are right on this part. They should at least market this to the retrenched /jobless and grab driver. I think there will be an increase of chwee kueh stall.

Cuz that one no need to do much one, just dig the kueh out, and scoop the cai por. Very good for entry hawkerprenuer.

And I am also wondering, really got ppl wanna learn how to be hawker? My friend open a western stall at serangoon garden hawker centre, but less than 2 years he closes it off le. He says long hours, don't earn much and really tedious.

If got money, I think open cafe better. You go HC eat western the most you pay $8. But you go cafe eat a plate of carbonara also have $15.

To be food seller, it needs passion.  Not everyone has it especially those group you mentioned.

Cafe has higher chances of failure with higher overhead.

• Praise 3

57 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

I see the increasing % of FTs cooking our local hawker food 

You want to see until 100% cooked by FT? 

34 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

What's the cost to open a cafe compared to hawker stall?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Would you want your kids to aim to be hawkerpreneurs? If not just have to accept more foreign labour cooking for us.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Our new generation shld not study University degree . They should be hawker with better prospect. Degree can always be imported and cheaper too. We must have culture food ... for expats and rich elites  ??? 

😄🍻🍻🍻 

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 7

Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

What's the cost to open a cafe compared to hawker stall?

Okay. that is true. hahah. I am only comparing the same plate of food, from a hawker and from a cafe, the price has a vast difference.

8 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Okay. that is true. hahah. I am only comparing the same plate of food, from a hawker and from a cafe, the price has a vast difference.

Also depends on location.  Open in many riches e.g GCB , orchard , newtown ... you can charge higher.  Just compare the kuay in geylang and orchard ... same kuay but hell alot more expensive in orchard. 😂😜

Afternote: kuay refer to kuay png ok 👌  dont think too much 😄

Edited by Angcheek
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Jusnel said:

So long ho jiak no attitude...price wise, negotiable 😁

2 hours ago, Bezbee said:

The 12-month programme, which takes in its first batch in March, will be open to all recent graduates from polytechnics and the Institute of Technical Education.

Participants will undergo a two-month classroom-based training, followed by a four-month apprenticeship and a six-month mentorship with experienced hawkers.

The programme can accommodate about 50 people over three years, and both mentors and apprentices will receive a monthly training allowance of $500 and $1,000 respectively.

12 months to become a hawker? Thatz a very long time.

What can the hawker do with that piece of certificate in future? Is it recognised in the F&B industry? What will those chef trained in Shatec and major restaurants and hotel think of the cert when the hawker apply for job using that hawker certificate?

• Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

12 months to become a hawker? Thatz a very long time.

What can the hawker do with that piece of certificate in future? Is it recognised in the F&B industry? What will those chef trained in Shatec and major restaurants and hotel think of the cert when the hawker apply for job using that hawker certificate?

Different segment  ... I think SHATEC, they are taught the skills to serve / work in the F&B environment while  Hawkerprenuer , they train you up to be your own boss lor 

Perhaps next time we will see hawker displaying their certificate for Hawkerprenuership  (to show that wa wu tak che one)  ... HAHAHA  ... 

Maybe they will  be taught to have SOP to ensure consistent taste / quality & quantity ...   Project Management skills etc, they may even incorporate 6-Sigma to ensure no wastage ... however all these in the hawker environment whereby mostly self-service  ... that why need 12 months.   

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1