Where are u getting ur CNY goodies from this year?

StreetFight3r

11 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

This brand. 

7fe1be7579e90411aeb19d3f4ca73cdd.jpg

The funny thing is while SS is selling at $5.95 all year round, NTUC and other supermarket as well as online store are retailing at >$6 to $8+/-

Please don't fall into this "Nonya" shit branding. Everything that has the word NONYA is priced higher. Tell you something, REAL NONYA aka Peranakans won't buy off shelves one, they will make their own. Fedup with the usage of the word "NONYA" just to inflate prices and make people think it's REALLY NONYA, wait get the one from Bencoolen next to Kuan Im Temple, taste same same! :D:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

21 hours ago, Bezbee said:

Aiyo why delete ...  just turn off notification can liao....  else every few hours got some reminders ... very "stress" or irritating ?

too poisonous bro

if dont delete will go in to see when theres free time lol

17 hours ago, Lala81 said:

usually mass gathering on Day 1 (maternal), day 2 (paternal). Most flexible. But this year no big gatherings mah.

The older generation will probably meet up lor. Younger one like us, just listen to my mother's instructions [laugh]

n also covid still around

better not to mass gather

also better not to visit so many different family in a day

i am only visiting my parents house for day 1

other than that no

the rest can always arrange again other days. its good to be flexible this year.

if we complacent we may end up like msia, cb2

• Praise 2

(edited)
20 hours ago, Lala81 said:

what's good from Gin Thye?

I ordered pineapple tarts from home baker. 

This year I'm not visiting anybody more or less. No big gatherings.

if you like spicy their mala chicken skin is good

they also have "big rabbit flavor" pineapple tarts and cookies

i go there cos huge variety easy to pick from just 1 shop

location at sembawang

Edited by StreetFight3r

26 minutes ago, Mazdaowner said:

Everywhere sure got "people mountain, people sea" lor. Stay home, eat, go to club, swim, gym, play a bit of mahjong, relax with a movie. 1 month plus, yeah hor. Same thing lor, repeat above. :D Maybe take wife on a night drive go look see look see places never been too. 

Good to do what you have suggested. Better dont go to places where big crowds gathered. Even no choice have to go also dont loiter there too long.

15 minutes ago, StreetFight3r said:

if you like spicy their mala chicken skin is good

they also have "big rabbit flavor" pineapple tarts and cookies

i go there cos huge variety easy to pick from just 1 shop

location at sembawang

I live in the north so it's quite convenient for me. I guess nowadays no taste test, so looking for recommendations.

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Good to do what you have suggested. Better dont go to places where big crowds gathered. Even no choice have to go also dont loiter there too long.

I don't have family or relatives here. So the buck stops there. Old friends know we have to stay apart so no visiting or mahjong like before. Personally I find this to be a good thing, every CNY I'm on full alert with 100% deployment, CO break seal 1 week prior and I have to go full steam on the preparations of food for all my guys and their family. This year, I can take a break and relax, not spring chicken like before, have to cook for CNY Eve dinner for my family and friends, make a huge amount of acher acher to give to them as well. Again, to tell you the truth, I have to cook like 15-18hrs before the CNY Eve dinner, and during the dinner, I don't have the apatite to eat, as I'm all worn out, same happens on the 2nd day when old friends come over. So, this is somewhat a blessing in disguise for me. Don't get me wrong, my old friends are my brothers in arms, been thru thick and thin together, I sometimes wished I could have a peaceful CNY holiday, and now the wish has come through. After 30 years, can relax on CNY no heavy cooking until like siao. BTW, no one helps me out in the kitchen, it's all me from start to finish. This year's reunion dinner menu also planned by myself. 

Beef Rendang, Fried Pomfret, Peranakan Ngoh Hiang, Ayam Masak Merah, Babi Buah Keluak, Wontun chicken soup, Fried seafood noodles, Sambal Teloh, Sambal Udang Nanis, 

Otah Otah, Steamed Sui Mai, Acher Acher, Nasi Kunyet. 

I start preparations this weekend, vacuum pack and deep freeze. On that day, only need to cook one or two dishes, rest defrost and heat up. 

• Praise 8

12 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

This brand. 

7fe1be7579e90411aeb19d3f4ca73cdd.jpg

The funny thing is while SS is selling at $5.95 all year round, NTUC and other supermarket as well as online store are retailing at >$6 to $8+/-

Still has half a pack of this at home. Good stuff.

Supercharged
18 hours ago, Angcheek said:

I think the better ones are from bengawan . But kind of expensive.  I like the white cookie that melts in the mouth .... cant rem whats that call 😄

Kueh bangkit. My favorite too

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Tohto said:

Still has half a pack of this at home. Good stuff.

Never Lau Hong meh? When my aunts were alive, I used to help them hand make this and other kuays from scratch, now that they're gone, 

inherited their kitchen equipment, their children all couldn't be bothered to learn, and migrated overseas also, I'm getting old and my kids same same, couldn't be bothered to learn from 

me how to make all these kuey kuey. I guess it will leave with me when my time comes. Time consuming, one thing is fur sure, taste can beat any processed made ones. 

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Mazdaowner said:

Please don't fall into this "Nonya" shit branding. Everything that has the word NONYA is priced higher. Tell you something, REAL NONYA aka Peranakans won't buy off shelves one, they will make their own. Fedup with the usage of the word "NONYA" just to inflate prices and make people think it's REALLY NONYA, wait get the one from Bencoolen next to Kuan Im Temple, taste same same! :D:D

Nonya is just the brand for this hae bee Hiam roll, which is cheap and good. Available all year round at SS and other supermarke, I will buy when I crave for it, don't need to wait till CNY. 

Zf6VFGV.jpg

QEF90GL.jpg

4uO7QMM.jpg

I just took the above photos during lunch time, and not difficult to see that it's quality is better than Happy Family (SS house brand).

• Praise 7

21 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Nonya is just the brand for this hae bee Hiam roll, which is cheap and good. Available all year round at SS and other supermarke, I will buy when I crave for it, don't need to wait till CNY. 

Zf6VFGV.jpg

QEF90GL.jpg

4uO7QMM.jpg

I just took the above photos during lunch time, and not difficult to see that it's quality is better than Happy Family (SS house brand).

Albert Complex or The Bencoolen also whole year round got, and far cheaper. I don't make them myself, so I get from here, all the kids love them, (old kids hor) can go and try and see if you like or not before buying. 

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Zf6VFGV.jpg

got non spicy version?

4 hours ago, Mazdaowner said:

I don't have family or relatives here. So the buck stops there. Old friends know we have to stay apart so no visiting or mahjong like before. Personally I find this to be a good thing, every CNY I'm on full alert with 100% deployment, CO break seal 1 week prior and I have to go full steam on the preparations of food for all my guys and their family. This year, I can take a break and relax, not spring chicken like before, have to cook for CNY Eve dinner for my family and friends, make a huge amount of acher acher to give to them as well. Again, to tell you the truth, I have to cook like 15-18hrs before the CNY Eve dinner, and during the dinner, I don't have the apatite to eat, as I'm all worn out, same happens on the 2nd day when old friends come over. So, this is somewhat a blessing in disguise for me. Don't get me wrong, my old friends are my brothers in arms, been thru thick and thin together, I sometimes wished I could have a peaceful CNY holiday, and now the wish has come through. After 30 years, can relax on CNY no heavy cooking until like siao. BTW, no one helps me out in the kitchen, it's all me from start to finish. This year's reunion dinner menu also planned by myself. 

Beef Rendang, Fried Pomfret, Peranakan Ngoh Hiang, Ayam Masak Merah, Babi Buah Keluak, Wontun chicken soup, Fried seafood noodles, Sambal Teloh, Sambal Udang Nanis, 

Otah Otah, Steamed Sui Mai, Acher Acher, Nasi Kunyet. 

I start preparations this weekend, vacuum pack and deep freeze. On that day, only need to cook one or two dishes, rest defrost and heat up. 

Thats why locals came up with steamboat 😄 

Less cooking , less oily ... less cleaning and more healthy

• Haha! 3

57 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

got non spicy version?

Got. Go Four Horse Road Dried Goods Market above the Hawker Centre. Many Many to choose... If want aircon shopping, just drop in the Bencoleen Centre, got one shop named "FULL" in Chinese, same shop as in the Dried Goods Market. 

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, Lala81 said:

I live in the north so it's quite convenient for me. I guess nowadays no taste test, so looking for recommendations.

ntuc got sell some gin thye products also

not full range

they were on the news for nt so good news last year thou

https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/disappointing-gin-thye-cake-arrives-late-and-straight-into-trash-bin-on-mothers-day

Edited by StreetFight3r
  • Praise 1

38 minutes ago, Angcheek said:

Thats why locals came up with steamboat 😄 

Less cooking , less oily ... less cleaning and more healthy

Boh pian leh, I HATE Steamboat. :D:D

• Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Got. Go Four Horse Road Dried Goods Market above the Hawker Centre. Many Many to choose... If want aircon shopping, just drop in the Bencoleen Centre, got one shop named "FULL" in Chinese, same shop as in the Dried Goods Market. 

That's what I said also lor. Aircon one is ground floor cannot miss, so many Ah Pek and Ah Erm there buying dried goods, plus they're the only shop, can't miss. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1