Sinovac showed efficacy of 50.4%

steveluv

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

why prc do not explore mRNA method for making the vaccine

the method that prc chosen is easier (old proven method) and higher rate to success [confused] 

i read the only advantage of Sinovac is no need special cold storage and easy for transport and distribution

The traditional vaccine is "easier" to make.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Relax.It's not so easy to make vaccine.

Especially given the traditional inactivated method was always suspected to have some difficulty getting good results against a coronavirus. Case in point, no vaccine was ever developed against SARS and MERS 
Given the Chinese inexperience in running large clinical trials at such short notice (relative to the west), I'm not sure how well the trials were conducted in these developing countries.
Hopefully there can be better data coming out of these countries. 

Even AZN bungled their trial somewhat.

Hearsay by the time SARS was available for testing, SARS had disappeared.

• Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Just curious, does it mean that the older types or traditional vaccine that was pumped into our bodies when we were children, efficacy is only about 50%, based on Sinovac results ? [:p]

Most of them were eradicated due to herd immunity. Honestly I dunno. All these predates me. But I believe it was the widespread adoption that killed off the virus reservoirs. 

The flu vaccine may only be 40% effective in elderly. 

But the effectiveness of those maybe higher cos the virus don't mutate that much eg polio, hepatitis b. And kids all mostly have very robust immune systems. Ideal population to vaccinate. 

Even a 50% vaccine would be pretty effective if say 100% population took the vaccine. Cos it reduces the R0 to much much lower. 

• Praise 8

8 minutes ago, Viceroymenthol said:

3-EEF8312-9-C0-B-4-EA8-88-EF-33-AD54-DE7

Well I was reading just last week that prc offered the vaccines to a lot of countries who can't afford the mrna based ones. Based on their obligation, they dunno how prc can manufacture the required doses for their own population and the African, other developing nations in 2021. 

Maybe sg could get a better guarantee from Sinovac compared to other companies. 

I dunno and frankly Calvin cheng knows nothing about this. His opinion is worth zero cents. 

• Praise 11

sinovac = saviour for africa, india, indonesia, brazil, venezuela, south america, etc

prc has his part to contribute too ... to combat covid

offload a lot of stress for vaccine from amdk 

all hell break lose when all fighting for vaccines

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 5

And people are forgetting that trump is out of the picture. Imagine if trump won. He couldn't chup like he wanted cos he was always lagging Biden.

If he got reflected, doubt any other country outside of EU would had a whiff of the Pfizer or moderna vaccines. There would be immense pressure for them to supply usa first. 

• Praise 2

Arcturus the mrna based one backed by singapore had subpar results in phase one.

But think they were aiming for a single dose regime. They may have to change that. 

30 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Well I was reading just last week that prc offered the vaccines to a lot of countries who can't afford the mrna based ones. Based on their obligation, they dunno how prc can manufacture the required doses for their own population and the African, other developing nations in 2021. 

Maybe sg could get a better guarantee from Sinovac compared to other companies. 

I dunno and frankly Calvin cheng knows nothing about this. His opinion is worth zero cents. 

d977485b8806dc3c4e0a09f7bbbab3ec.png

• Haha! 7

13 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Supplies are short. 

Correct.

We really shouldn't see perceived "sub par" results as the end-all. These are all 1st gen COVID vaccines. They're meant to control our current runaway situation around the world, not eradicate COVID by end of 2021 - that's just not going to happen.

Next & subsequent years the vaccines will be further developed & become more effective & plentiful.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Mustank said:

Ask you all ah:

When my turns come, will kena which one ah?

If you lucky this one

image.png.6ced83408b1d72be791abbf997a0e8c9.png

If you very lucky this one

image.png.05787800ebafd4dc253cee55bbd20390.png

You can see where this is going and you can work out the rest.

:grin:

• Haha! 1

My thinking is how accurate are the results for pfizer and moderna?  Somehow I feel there is some kind of biasness involved.

Sinovac is old technology. Safer but not as effective - but everyone is harping on this.

Pfizer is new technology.  Much more effective but safety has not been proven - but no one is talking about this.

Not a strong supporter of China but I read that the president of Brazil is anti china so and pro USA so I read the results with some skepticism. 

• Praise 1

Look at the bright side. All three vaccines prevent severe cases and hospitalization.  This effectively turns covid-19 into another flu just as Donald wished.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3