Best Selling Cars of 2021

therock

Taking this off the 2020 thread, who wants to predict which cars will sell well in the current economic climate?

IMO, if the economy isn't doing too well, the brands with larger margins like the conti premium marques will fair better.

The up and coming cars with a higher price tag will have to fight with the traditional best sellers. Budget buyers will opt for lower cost cars from the more peripheral brands, as well as the PI cars. But for those opting for PI cars, make sure your T&C is watertight.

With COEs diminishing in quantity, the cost will go up and if the deal looks too good, beware and think twice in case you get convinced and come to complain how the seller didn't deliver. 

It's sometimes not the fault of the PI or AD, they will have to compete with others with larger bidding limits.

So, I'll venture to say, the top 6 won't change much, maybe we will see some KIA as they launch new models, and if the new EVs reach us, they may boost the numbers for Hyundai.

But the Audis, Mercs and BMWs will dominate the top 5 for a few years to come until the COE drought gets better. 

1 hour ago, JQ01 said:

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/who_we_are/statistics_and_publications/statistics/pdf/M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

For 2020,

1. Toyota = 7704 (think include Lexus)

2. Mercedes = 6561

3. Honda = 6338

4. BMW = 4349

5. Audi = 2228

6. Hyundai = 2224

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

I believe these numbers include PI? If yes, Honda has gone backwards as they used to run Toyota very close n in fact they were even no. 1 in 2019 if not mistaken. Honda won due to huge PI numbers. The other surprise was Audi who just edged out Hyundai by 4 cars😂 to be in the top 5.

I do agree with your assessment that conti premium brands shld fare better in this climate. That said, the top selling model shld still be a B&B car. Not sure which was the top selling model in 2020? My guess for 2021 shld be between Avante, Yaris Cross, Altis, Jazz or even the new Nissan Note.

12 minutes ago, therock said:

Taking this off the 2020 thread, who wants to predict which cars will sell well in the current economic climate?

IMO, if the economy isn't doing too well, the brands with larger margins like the conti premium marques will fair better.

The up and coming cars with a higher price tag will have to fight with the traditional best sellers. Budget buyers will opt for lower cost cars from the more peripheral brands, as well as the PI cars. But for those opting for PI cars, make sure your T&C is watertight.

With COEs diminishing in quantity, the cost will go up and if the deal looks too good, beware and think twice in case you get convinced and come to complain how the seller didn't deliver. 

It's sometimes not the fault of the PI or AD, they will have to compete with others with larger bidding limits.

So, I'll venture to say, the top 6 won't change much, maybe we will see some KIA as they launch new models, and if the new EVs reach us, they may boost the numbers for Hyundai.

But the Audis, Mercs and BMWs will dominate the top 5 for a few years to come until the COE drought gets better. 

• Praise 9

Then we got to look at what's to expect this year.

https://www.asiaone.com/lifestyle/upcoming-car-releases-we-are-excited-2021

Note: The car pics in the asiaone link is not up to date. Scroll down to the bottom of the article to click on "This article was first published in Motorist." MCF dont allow to post the link of this website. 

Hatchbacks

1) Honda Jazz

2) VW Golf and its variants

3) Toyota GR Yaris

4) Nissan Note e-POWER

5) Renault Megane RS

Sedans

6) Honda Civic

7) BMW 4 Series Convertible

8 ) BMW M3

9) BMW Alpina B7

10) Lexus ES

11) Lexus LS

12) Mercedes Benz C-Class

SUVs

13) Audi e-Tron Sportback

14) Bentley Bentayga Speed

15) BMW iX

16) New Honda HR-V or Vezel

17) Hyundai Palisade

18) Lexus UX EV

19) Mercedes EQC

20) Peugeot 3008

21) Toyota Harrier

MPVs

22) Honda Odyssey

Coupes

23) Audi R8

24) BMW 2 Series Gran Coupe

25) BMW M4 Competition Coupe

26) Jaguar F-type

Time to buy more TOTO!

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

With reducing COEs, most likely those premium brands like Merc, Audi and BMW cars will dominate the sales again like last time when COE is high. 

For 2020,

2. Mercedes = 6561

3. Honda = 6338

4. BMW = 4349

5. Mazda = 2411

6. Audi = 2228

7. Hyundai = 2224

8. Kia = 1967

9. Nissan = 1578

10. VW = 1334

11. Mitshibishi = 1300

Sorry, left out Mazda in above..

Edited by JQ01
adding those that has >1000
  • Praise 3

2 hours ago, Spring said:

I believe these numbers include PI? If yes, Honda has gone backwards as they used to run Toyota very close n in fact they were even no. 1 in 2019 if not mistaken. Honda won due to huge PI numbers. The other surprise was Audi who just edged out Hyundai by 4 cars😂 to be in the top 5.

I do agree with your assessment that conti premium brands shld fare better in this climate. That said, the top selling model shld still be a B&B car. Not sure which was the top selling model in 2020? My guess for 2021 shld be between Avante, Yaris Cross, Altis, Jazz or even the new Nissan Note.

Honda has priced themselves out of the market. Eg. Civic 1.5 -$120K, Accord- $150K.

Some people would rather get a GLA, A class, CLA from PI nstead.

• Praise 7

24 minutes ago, Davidklt said:

Honda has priced themselves out of the market. Eg. Civic 1.5 -$120K, Accord- $150K.

Some people would rather get a GLA, A class, CLA from PI nstead.

Agreed. That’s why I didn’t even put down the new Vezel/HRV which has always been a volume seller. I did put down Jazz cautiously cos the hybrid with Honda sensing at just over $100k whilst not cheap is comparable to the Yaris Cross hybrid, so a potential volume seller. That said I doubt it will be the top seller but possibly top 5 if lucky. 

The trouble with Kah is that their cars OMV are high. Comparatively, a MIJ Subaru has a much lower OMV. Either Subaru is under declaring but I’m sure the authorities will look at it if that was the case or Honda is putting a premium on their cars as even MIT models hv such high OMV. 

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Spring said:

Agreed. That’s why I didn’t even put down the new Vezel/HRV which has always been a volume seller. I did put down Jazz cautiously cos the hybrid with Honda sensing at just over $100k whilst not cheap is comparable to the Yaris Cross hybrid, so a potential volume seller. That said I doubt it will be the top seller but possibly top 5 if lucky. 

The trouble with Kah is that their cars OMV are high. Comparatively, a MIJ Subaru has a much lower OMV. Either Subaru is under declaring but I’m sure the authorities will look at it if that was the case or Honda is putting a premium on their cars as even MIT models hv such high OMV. 

What makes the OMV higher for Honda cars when they are MIT, don’t have Honda sensing and only 2 airbags when compared to other B&B cars. I really don’t understand. 

1 hour ago, Daniu82 said:

What makes the OMV higher for Honda cars when they are MIT, don’t have Honda sensing and only 2 airbags when compared to other B&B cars. I really don’t understand. 

I also don’t understand. If u go to one-motoring website, the December OMV for Civic 1.6l n City are about $20k whilst the Subaru Forester n XV are $16.5k

• Praise 4

5 hours ago, JQ01 said:

For 2020,

2. Mercedes = 6561

3. Honda = 6338

4. BMW = 4349

5. Mazda = 2411

6. Audi = 2228

7. Hyundai = 2224

8. Kia = 1967

9. Nissan = 1578

10. VW = 1334

11. Mitshibishi = 1300

Sorry, left out Mazda in above..

Toyota should separate Lexus for a fair comparison on Luxury car.

• Praise 1

Very much depending on COE quota allocation,  if COE quota gets reduced, COE price will shoot up, that will in turn edge out the B&B cars, leaving the competition to only a few premium  brands, and if that happens, the answer is obvious which will be the best selling brand.

(edited)

IMO, Honda is in the top 5 due to the large numbers of PI Vezels... which is something that puzzles me:

The PI cars are outselling the AD ones.. 

The AD cars have such low safety specs and the prices are pretty high, so much so that I wanted to ask some of my colleagues driving Accords, and even the Civic 1.6 as to why they choose these cars.. 

At least the HRV, the new City and the Fit look the part, and with a new suite of safety features they are semi-competitive... but so much of their range is overpriced.

Eg, for the price of a CRV, the Merc GLB will start to look pretty good. Likewise, for the price of an Accord, a CLA or even A class might look attractive if they don't mind a smaller car... 

And that's another reason why Merc is doing so well. Just like the new HDB / Condos, most people don't mind a loss of space for the 'prestige' of owning a condo. They don't seem to mind paying more for a smaller unit with facilities. Funny thing is, if they think they are escaping the people from HDB units, the very same people might also become their neighbors... 

Edited by therock
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, therock said:

IMO, Honda is in the top 5 due to the large numbers of PI Vezels... which is something that puzzles me:

The PI cars are outselling the AD ones.. 

The AD cars have such low safety specs and the prices are pretty high, so much so that I wanted to ask some of my colleagues driving Accords, and even the Civic 1.6 as to why they choose these cars.. 

At least the HRV, the new City and the Fit look the part, and with a new suite of safety features they are semi-competitive... but so much of their range is overpriced.

Eg, for the price of a CRV, the Merc GLB will start to look pretty good. Likewise, for the price of an Accord, a CLA or even A class might look attractive if they don't mind a smaller car... 

And that's another reason why Merc is doing so well. Just like the new HDB / Condos, most people don't mind a loss of space for the 'prestige' of owning a condo. They don't seem to mind paying more for a smaller unit with facilities. Funny thing is, if they think they are escaping the people from HDB units, the very same people might also become their neighbors... 

These ADs are screwed by their distributors,  by default they are not allowed to bring in JDM models if there are similar  ASIA models, as a result, they have to sell models that are made in TH/Indo for ASIA market with lower spec. So far i only see one success story  , that is BM managed to bring in the 2L Turbo Harrier to beat the PI, but their permission was granted way  too late after the PIs had flooded the road with Harrier. But at least their 2L Turbo have put the PI sales to a near standstill. 

I am not sure if what you said about the mindset of condo buyer really represent the general condo population but even if it is so, dont forget there are only 25% of SGPrean staying in condos, so even the rest of condo dwellers have the same mentality, there are only 25% there, there are still 75% of the people are "not there".....yet. that feeling is good enough to justify the extra cash. 😅

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1