Xiaomi designated a 'Communist Chinese military company' by U.S. government

zipping

https://www.techspot.com/news/88304-xiaomi-designated-communist-chinese-military-company-us-government.html

Xiaomi designated a 'Communist Chinese military company' by U.S. government

U.S. investors could be forced to divest in November

By Rob Thubron on January 15, 2021, 8:36 AM 18 comments

What just happened? As Donald Trump approaches the end of his term, the president is putting the pressure on a Chinese giant—but this time, it's not Huawei. The outgoing administration has designated Xiaomi, the world's third best-selling phone maker, a 'Communist Chinese military company,' adding it to a blacklist that could force U.S. investors to divest.

As noted by Reuters, a 1999 law requires the Defense Department to compile a catalog of companies owned or controlled by the People's Liberation Army. The Pentagon has added 35 companies so far, including chipmaker SMIC.

Huawei is on the list, too, due to its telecoms infrastructure business that is worrying some governments.

Xiaomi recently announced the Mi 11, its latest smartphone

Both Huawei and SMIC are also part of the US Commerce Department's 'entity list', which prevents American organizations from exporting to the blacklisted companies without a government license. Hence the lack of Google Apps and U.S. hardware in the latest Huawei phones.

The newly added companies will be subject to an investment ban that forces American investors to divest their holdings on November 11, 2021—assuming the Biden administration doesn't overturn the order.

Xiaomi, which was accused of recording users' incognito web browsing last year, currently takes the third-largest share of the global smartphone market, sitting behind number one Samsung and second-place Huawei, according to IDC.

Xiaomi, in a statement to The Verge, said that it is "operating in compliance with the relevant laws and regulations of jurisdictions where it conducts its businesses." The spokesperson contends that Xiaomi "is not owned, controlled or affiliated with the Chinese military, and is not a 'Communist Chinese Military Company' defined under the NDAA [National Defense Authorization Act]."

The company is reviewing the consequences of the designation before taking action.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

After Biden is crowned on 20/1, will China put Apple, Boeing, Tesla, Caterpillar and Starbucks on their unfriendly business list to create some form of leverage to negotiate? 

3 hours ago, Voodooman said:

After Biden is crowned on 20/1, will China put Apple, Boeing, Tesla, Caterpillar and Starbucks on their unfriendly business list to create some form of leverage to negotiate? 

i dun think so. u see despite the bad relationship between china and usa, china is opening up their market more, esp toward the EU, 

tesla is investing even more in china 

no matter what country this kind of action will over come back to haunt ownself.

if china do this ' will China put Apple, Boeing, Tesla, Caterpillar and Starbucks on their unfriendly business' it will hurt investment in their own country only. dun make sense to kill 10k and lost 8k

3 hours ago, Beregond said:

i dun think so. u see despite the bad relationship between china and usa, china is opening up their market more, esp toward the EU, 

tesla is investing even more in china 

no matter what country this kind of action will over come back to haunt ownself.

if china do this ' will China put Apple, Boeing, Tesla, Caterpillar and Starbucks on their unfriendly business' it will hurt investment in their own country only. dun make sense to kill 10k and lost 8k

China needs to create leverage like what the US is doing to get a deal done. Biden cannot sign without being seen as winning concessions from China. 

Think trade will normalize a bit but the technology war will accelerate. Lots of money is going into tech in China.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

16 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Not sure but how USA describes China reminds me of how @Jamesc describes MIL :D

By coincidence, Trump is also his BFF  🧐

Maybe his MIL is XJP's BFF?  [jawdrop]

Wow I am very impressed!

How did you ever guess she is my MIL

and why I don't like er so much.

And she is really Pooh bear's BFF too!

You are correct!

:grin:

image.thumb.png.5ca120aab70b135e04a3f1dd42baf27f.png

Hypersonic

I just bought my MIL a new MI phone

and I even put this as the screen saver.

:D

I hope they track her phone.

image.png.77dfb31bec63a412698b8f47a038ffa7.png

↡ Advertisement