49.3KM/H Winds Hit S’pore On 18 Jan, Speed Almost As Fast As Our Buses

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

49.3-kmh-Winds-Hit-Spore-Almost-As-Fast-

Speed limit for buses on roads is 50km/h.

Winds Hit Up To 49.3KM/H At Places Like Admiralty

Singaporeans may have noticed strong gusts of wind when going outdoors today (18 Jan), threatening to blow our laundry away.

You’re not imagining it as wind speeds in our island nation hit as high as 49.3 km/h in places like Admiralty.

Winds-5.png

Such increases in wind speeds are usually experienced during the presence of a Northeast Monsoon surge.

Admiralty winds hit 49.3 km/h

According to the Meteorological Service Singapore, northeast winds hit Admiralty at higher speeds than the rest of Singapore.

Met-Service-Wind.jpg

At about 11am, the area saw wind speeds of up to 49.3 km/h — that’s almost as fast as our buses travel.

To put this into perspective, the speed limit for buses on roads is 50 km/h.

Winds-8.png

While the speeds were not sustained for long, Admiralty still experienced wind speeds of over 30 km/h for about 4 hours.

Winds-2-.png

Strong winds all around Singapore

Other than Admiralty, other parts of Singapore like Tai Seng also experienced high wind speeds of up to 37.4 km/h between 10am and 3pm.

Winds-9.png

Changi’s wind speeds hit 31.9 km/h as well in the afternoon.

Winds-10.png

Well, as it’s been pretty cloudy over the past few days, the breezy weather certainly helps to dry our clothes even as the sun hides.

Windy weather may continue

According to National Environment Agency (NEA), Singapore experienced average wind speeds ranging between 15-30 km/h.

As of time of writing, Tuesday (19 Jan) is forecasted to have around the same conditions.

Winds-3.png

This may be good or bad depending on how well you clip your laundry.

Reminder to clip laundry well & use paperweights for documents

While Singapore may not have the title of The Windy City – it goes to Chicago in the United States – it’s refreshing to let some fresh air breeze through the house.

However, remember to batten down the hatches and find some paperweights.

You don’t want to return to a mess should you forget to close the windows.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5
  • Shocked 1

Internal Moderator
25 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm), a strict meteorological definition of a terrestrial storm is a wind measuring 10 or higher on the Beaufort scale, meaning a wind speed of 24.5 m/s (89 km/h, 55 mph) or more. We are still some way off.

You are hoping for that kind of gust in Singapore meh? hahaha.

• Haha! 3

39 minutes ago, Blueray said:

PMDs can top 49.3km/h easy ... :XD:

"Sir I really really never ride that fast, it was the strong wind that push my PDM to >25Km/h..."

New excuse when these reckless rider were caught by LTA or the appointed enforcement agency. :D

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 4

Wind past few days indeed very strong until some of my potted plants outside the corridor always got blow until capsize on the floor. [sweatdrop]

32 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

You are hoping for that kind of gust in Singapore meh? hahaha.

Not at all. I'm just trying to imagine how a real wind storm may feels like. 😮

• Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

worried for the leotards

hope they didn't get toppled by the gusts

if that happens leotard will blame the weather gods ..... [:p]

download (1).jpg

• Haha! 4

12 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Not at all. I'm just trying to imagine how a real wind storm may feels like. 😮

We are well sheltered here unlike many  countries 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Speed limit for buses on roads is 50km/h.

Winds Hit Up To 49.3KM/H At Places Like Admiralty

Singaporeans may have noticed strong gusts of wind when going outdoors today (18 Jan), threatening to blow our laundry away.

You’re not imagining it as wind speeds in our island nation hit as high as 49.3 km/h in places like Admiralty.

Such increases in wind speeds are usually experienced during the presence of a Northeast Monsoon surge.

Admiralty winds hit 49.3 km/h

According to the Meteorological Service Singapore, northeast winds hit Admiralty at higher speeds than the rest of Singapore.

Met-Service-Wind.jpg

At about 11am, the area saw wind speeds of up to 49.3 km/h — that’s almost as fast as our buses travel.

To put this into perspective, the speed limit for buses on roads is 50 km/h.

While the speeds were not sustained for long, Admiralty still experienced wind speeds of over 30 km/h for about 4 hours.

Strong winds all around Singapore

Other than Admiralty, other parts of Singapore like Tai Seng also experienced high wind speeds of up to 37.4 km/h between 10am and 3pm.

Changi’s wind speeds hit 31.9 km/h as well in the afternoon.

Now you into 'Wind' watching .... [sly]

No more "bird" watching with @Tianmo har ... :secret-laugh:

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, boonhat_91 said:

worried for the leotards

hope they didn't get toppled by the gusts

Worried? I hope they're all blown into oblivion, "We're not in Kansas anymore" style. 😁

After all, they want to be "green", I think Mother Nature should show them what She's capable of, while providing free air transportation. 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Worried? I hope they're all blown into oblivion, "We're not in Kansas anymore" style. 😁

After all, they want to be "green", I think Mother Nature should show them what She's capable of, while providing free air transportation. 😂

Depends on whether it is head wind or cross wind.

I rode in strong head wind in Mongolia.  1hr about 15km only.  All 10 fingers numb from cold wind.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Haha! 4

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Depends on whether it is head wind or cross wind.

I rode in strong head wind in Mongolia.  1hr about 15km only.  All 10 fingers numb from cold wind.

Oh I definitely want a wind that'll make them cross, their heads already big enough. 😁

• Haha! 1