LGBT vs MOE - Hormonal Therapy for 18-year-old Student

Jellandross

Big hooha and polarising views on this topic recently. What say you?

Final decisions on use of hormonal therapy 'rest with clinicians and their patients': MOE, IMH

SINGAPORE: Final decisions on the use of hormonal therapy "rest with clinicians and their patients", said the Ministry of Education (MOE) and Institute of Mental Health (IMH) in a joint statement on Thursday (Jan 21). 

This comes after an 18-year-old student said in a Reddit post on Jan 14 that the Education Ministry had intervened with her treatment, preventing her from obtaining a doctor's referral letter to begin hormone therapy. 

MOE denied these claims two days later, saying that it was "not true" that it interfered with the student’s hormonal treatment, and invited the student to approach the school to "clarify and discuss how the school can support his schooling better". 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/moe-imh-intervene-hormone-therapy-ashlee-transgender-student-14011610

moe-file.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, Jellandross said:

Big hooha and polarising views on this topic recently. What say you?

Final decisions on use of hormonal therapy 'rest with clinicians and their patients': MOE, IMH

SINGAPORE: Final decisions on the use of hormonal therapy "rest with clinicians and their patients", said the Ministry of Education (MOE) and Institute of Mental Health (IMH) in a joint statement on Thursday (Jan 21). 

This comes after an 18-year-old student said in a Reddit post on Jan 14 that the Education Ministry had intervened with her treatment, preventing her from obtaining a doctor's referral letter to begin hormone therapy. 

MOE denied these claims two days later, saying that it was "not true" that it interfered with the student’s hormonal treatment, and invited the student to approach the school to "clarify and discuss how the school can support his schooling better". 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/moe-imh-intervene-hormone-therapy-ashlee-transgender-student-14011610

I will only say that it is TOUGH to be an educator nowadays. Really a challenging job.

Nowadays teachers have to be equipped to handle some special educ needs students (physical handicap, or issues like ADHD, autism) that are integrated with the main stream. Add this transgender to the list as well [laugh] There are no right answers to these complex problems and it is easy to end up sensationalized into the news like this.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 3

I thought schools are pretty open about this?

I used to have a trans English Teacher in Secondary school... of course it was kept a secret but no big deal i guess. quite a good teacher

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

I used to have a trans English Teacher in Secondary school... of course it was kept a secret but no big deal i guess. quite a good teacher

As long as they've fully transitioned and officially converted. Or if not yet, then they still abide by the workplace dress codes appropriate to their original gender. Then there would not be much of an issue, probably. Don't do things like cross-dressing while still outwardly a male, something like that would likely be prohibited by the workplace.

Exceptions made for Scotsmen / Highlanders!

Do old day practice, do it quietly behind the scene and don't disturb the peace of the society.

A bit of thing use social media, hide behind and insulting human right and freedom.

Give an inch take a yard.

It only make people tulan.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Always same questions asked. :we-all-gonna-die:

After ops, Chio or not ..... :ninja:

After makeup is give to me,  before makeup is all yours!!!!  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Why cant the student be subtle and talk privately to the school? Does everything need to go social media to kick up a big fuss.

I for one is not keen or want to know about his aspirations on being a woman. Gross.

Is it a foreign student?

42 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Why cant the student be subtle and talk privately to the school? Does everything need to go social media to kick up a big fuss.

I for one is not keen or want to know about his aspirations on being a woman. Gross.

Is it a foreign student?

Haven't you noticed? Govt doesn't do anything without social pressure. 

5 hours ago, Wind30 said:

Oh her.

↡ Advertisement