Car scratched by vandal

ortho

Found a 3cm long deep scratch on the rear door of my new car today, it was horizontal, and almost certainly made deliberately by a sharp object such as a key with alot of force in order to leave a deep indentation. One of the hazards of parking a new car in a public carpark I guess! Unfortunately because my in-car cameras are only front and rear facing, they would not have been able to capture the vandal at his act.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of how some camera system can somehow be installed so as to cover the sides of the vehicle when parked? Am fearful that the vandal may strike again. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Sad 3

Forget about installing any cameras as such - there will always be blind spots.

Just gotta take it in stride and take in such "damages" as part and parcel of car ownership.

Be nice when parking and don't block off other people's car doors or park off-centre (which gives others a good reason to ding your doors or scratch it).
If it really bothers you, try parking on the more desolate areas of the car park or taking single lots which are not adjacent to any other lots...

If you think it was deliberate vandalism - nothing much you can do about it also. Any battery-operated camera system is dependent on the memory card and the battery lifespan. With these two limitations in place, the vandal (if deliberate) will strike just when either of the 2 runs out.

Edited by Comage
  • Praise 5

23 minutes ago, Comage said:

Forget about installing any cameras as such - there will always be blind spots.

Just gotta take it in stride and take in such "damages" as part and parcel of car ownership.

Be nice when parking and don't block off other people's car doors or park off-centre (which gives others a good reason to ding your doors or scratch it).
If it really bothers you, try parking on the more desolate areas of the car park or taking single lots which are not adjacent to any other lots...

If you think it was deliberate vandalism - nothing much you can do about it also. Any battery-operated camera system is dependent on the memory card and the battery lifespan. With these two limitations in place, the vandal (if deliberate) will strike just when either of the 2 runs out.

Have.. u just need to think out of prepackaged solutions..

A tip is to get small cams mounted on the window edge and run wires to a switch, connected to the car battery or an external power pack.. 

Search those car dash cams sites and there are examples there..

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Lurpsexx said:

Have.. u just need to think out of prepackaged solutions..

A tip is to get small cams mounted on the window edge and run wires to a switch, connected to the car battery or an external power pack.. 

Search those car dash cams sites and there are examples there..

Yes, of course have...

External power packs will also run out eventually. You may forget to charge it one day also.

If the scratch is done deliberately by a vandal - IMHO there's nothing you can do about it really. There's 1,001 ways to circumvent it; I guarantee you that.

At the end of the day, just like what @Optramagnum said - did the OP offend someone? Easier to address that root cause rather than spend a bomb on security solutions which even if there is evidence footage, also won't get you very far, even with a police report...

• Praise 3

25 minutes ago, Comage said:

Yes, of course have...

External power packs will also run out eventually. You may forget to charge it one day also.

If the scratch is done deliberately by a vandal - IMHO there's nothing you can do about it really. There's 1,001 ways to circumvent it; I guarantee you that.

At the end of the day, just like what @Optramagnum said - did the OP offend someone? Easier to address that root cause rather than spend a bomb on security solutions which even if there is evidence footage, also won't get you very far, even with a police report...

jus ask adrianli.. he got whole storybook on this issue..

sometimes is just people red eye u got new car then come n scratch lo... but living in fear and hiding ain't my style.. 

External power packs can last for 24hrs for 2 cams pointed at the sides and if u want to and have the $$ to sue, can have result one.. of course, there are alternate ways to deal with these azzholes...  

Best is make fren with your carpark neighbours. or rather, park infront of those car that got 24/7 cam, they will definitely captured what happened.

• Praise 2

32 minutes ago, Lurpsexx said:

jus ask adrianli.. he got whole storybook on this issue..

sometimes is just people red eye u got new car then come n scratch lo... but living in fear and hiding ain't my style.. 

External power packs can last for 24hrs for 2 cams pointed at the sides and if u want to and have the $$ to sue, can have result one.. of course, there are alternate ways to deal with these azzholes...  

If I really wanted a 100% chance to catch the bugger, I'd sleep in the car with the windows cracked open... :D

• Haha! 2

5 hours ago, ortho said:

Found a 3cm long deep scratch on the rear door of my new car today, it was horizontal, and almost certainly made deliberately by a sharp object such as a key with alot of force in order to leave a deep indentation. One of the hazards of parking a new car in a public carpark I guess! Unfortunately because my in-car cameras are only front and rear facing, they would not have been able to capture the vandal at his act.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of how some camera system can somehow be installed so as to cover the sides of the vehicle when parked? Am fearful that the vandal may strike again. 

Just move on and take it as part and parcel of car ownership.  3cm scratch can be from many possibilities, not just vandalism.

I ever had a 2.5 meters scratch from front door  to back door.  I didn't allow it to spoil my mood, and knowing who did it will not make me feel any better.  I just take it to the workshop,  and repaint half of the car and then get on with life.

Don't let this matter distract you. If this is indeed vandalism, he has not really succeed in his task yet until he has scarred your mind over this matter. Don't let that happen.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 2

Sorry to hear that TS, but there is nothing much you can do. Even if you got video evidence, it will take some time to sort everything out. There just happens to be quite a bit of sour people in Sg who would deliberately do such things. The more atas your car (or shiny/new paintwork), the more scratches and dings can be expected. One way to feel less pain is an advise someone gave me before.. when you buy a car, you only own the inside, the outside belongs to the public (to do whatever they want)

Edited by Fxfx
wrong word
  • Praise 2

If the vandal lives nearby, chances are after you have repainted, he/she could scratch again.  Try installing one more at each side 😂

Thanks for the replies! Very sure I haven’t offended anybody, and I had also barely driven the car much since it’s only 2 weeks old.. only between my home (HDB MSCP) and my workplace. Just quite shocked at the audacity of it all, given that this happened even though I was parked at Deck 1 of my multi story carpark where there is so much human and vehicle traffic. 

• Praise 2

Ya I was toying with the idea of mounting side cameras but just not sure how to do it such that they can potentially capture the act.. short of having the camera mounted on the outside.

↡ Advertisement