Stupid Worthless Trip @ Jurong Bird Park

carloverguy2017

sorry to say it is the uncle's own "carelessness" in not reading ..

to be fair the staff also cannot assume that the uncle will want to visit every one of the five cages, it may be that the uncle wants to just spend the day at the bird park and visit one cage, in which case it would have only cost him $5 .. not everyone wants to see every cage, just as not every visitor to the zoo wants to see every animal and exhibit ..

frankly this kind of thing in today's situation, take it as a "sharing" of burden and benefit among fellow people - should be happy the park has not closed down and happy the park can keep people employed ..

just my humble thoughts ..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1596140991_Screenshot_20210127-102052_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2052b61326c3d866e5fc3bde5b415aba.jpgI have some concerns about this.  Yes, I read it's all in the fine print.  I read that the advertisements itself were misleading.  As in $2.50 for entrance, just like when it first opened.  And they never had paid entry to gated areas before.  Only those who read further will know.  But some didn't.

Problem is, sometimes people don't read.  Yes, if you don't read, its YOUR fault.  But should we encourage such advertisements? 

After all, this is not your average neighbourhood car sales man but a Singapore icon here.  People trust it and so they dont suspect anything amiss.  I know the saying if it's too good to be true, it usually is.  But I just read about sheng siong and the 16 months bonus.  It seems too good to be true.  But I don't read of workers being suspicious and checking "what's the catch".  Because they trust their employer.  Just as people trust JBP.

So JBP should be taken to task.  Because people feel cheated because they trusted it.  Not wanting to go too off topic but I think about the current covid-19 vaccine.  People wonder what they are not being told (fine print). So if this JBP thing is simply brushed off as the folks being too naive, the nett effect could be people don't want to be "naive anymore" and see all the data (fine print) before vaccination.

Trust is the issue here.  If we can't trust a Singapore icon, a reputable one, not to mislead in the fine print, it might follow on with people not trusting the vaccine, CPF, TT token etc etc.

Anyway, for reference, I believe the advertisement is the one here.  Even the $2.50 per gated entry is not mentioned inside.  I do wonder how many of the attractions were gated.  Long time never been to JBP. 

Screenshot_20210127-101953_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 8

13 minutes ago, Mooose said:

frankly this kind of thing in today's situation, take it as a "sharing" of burden and benefit among fellow people - should be happy the park has not closed down and happy the park can keep people employed ..

just my humble thoughts ..

It's still unethical.   I dont know the uncle's condition but I am skeptical that he cannot buy a cup of coffee as a result.  But who knows.

As for "sharing the burden", either solicit for donations there or simply dont give discounts or just be upfront on the costs in the advertisements.

• Praise 2

This show that there is basically no free lunch in this world la. Where got so good pay $2.50 entrance fee to let you enjoy when people normally need to pay for the normal price lo. Lol.

Edited by 13177
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

1596140991_Screenshot_20210127-102052_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.2052b61326c3d866e5fc3bde5b415aba.jpgI have some concerns about this.  Yes, I read it's all in the fine print.  I read that the advertisements itself were misleading.  As in $2.50 for entrance, just like when it first opened.  And they never had paid entry to gated areas before.  Only those who read further will know.  But some didn't.

Problem is, sometimes people don't read.  Yes, if you don't read, its YOUR fault.  But should we encourage such advertisements? 

After all, this is not your average neighbourhood car sales man but a Singapore icon here.  People trust it and so they dont suspect anything amiss.  I know the saying if it's too good to be true, it usually is.  But I just read about sheng siong and the 16 months bonus.  It seems too good to be true.  But I don't read of workers being suspicious and checking "what's the catch".  Because they trust their employer.  Just as people trust JBP.

So JBP should be taken to task.  Because people feel cheated because they trusted it.  Not wanting to go too off topic but I think about the current covid-19 vaccine.  People wonder what they are not being told (fine print). So if this JBP thing is simply brushed off as the folks being too naive, the nett effect could be people don't want to be "naive anymore" and see all the data (fine print) before vaccination.

Trust is the issue here.  If we can't trust a Singapore icon, a reputable one, not to mislead in the fine print, it might follow on with people not trusting the vaccine, CPF, TT token etc etc.

Anyway, for reference, I believe the advertisement is the one here.  Even the $2.50 per gated entry is not mentioned inside.  I do wonder how many of the attractions were gated.  Long time never been to JBP. 

Screenshot_20210127-101953_Samsung Internet.jpg

Fully agreed, and I don't like the Sinkie mentality of "you die your business" and "haha, you never read properly orh!" whenever someone raises an issue like this. Why do so many Sinkies love siding with the big guys against the little ones? 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Count-Bracula said:

Uncle Boon Seng should just visit the neighborhood pet shop and look at the birds.  Why waste time and money? 

Serangoon North has many birds shop.

3 hours ago, Victor68 said:

The existing bird park is poorly maintained,  I guess due to their plan to move soon. When these agencies come up with offers, always need to read fine prints. So whenever got fine prints, no need to consider liao. 

Every purchase or offer need to read fine print. 

A lot of time for people like me with old flower eye, almost cannot read it..

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

It's still unethical.   I dont know the uncle's condition but I am skeptical that he cannot buy a cup of coffee as a result.  But who knows.

learn a new word. very good to use.

actually if private company i can understand, they will use all method and trick to lure customers in, like those that give free or 10 buks facial treatment or hair treatment, then lure u to buy package . 

but i believe birdpark is not a private company ? but under government support. i dun think nice to use such tactics .

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

Look down and he can see his own bird. lol

He wants to see more colourful one, not just just blue colour 😂

• Haha! 2

5 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Every purchase or offer need to read fine print. 

A lot of time for people like me with old flower eye, almost cannot read it..

I have reading disability, so all the fine print confirmed cannot read it. [laugh]

Turbocharged

This type of marketing and shady pricing scheme must NOT be allowed to continue in Singapore. Remember last time the GST issue?? Advertise this price, then payment add the GST?? No GST-registered companies are allowed to price their products and services this manner (except restaurants which need to indicate on the menu the charges).

Good that ppl complain, no complain no improvement. 

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

The perfect example of how to not do a video 101, that was at least five minutes of complaining about the ticket price. And the angmoh accented voice over and distracting music, what a win. Haha. Return me five minutes of my time! 😴

Just remind yourself, never ever click on any video posted by TS. Just look at his posting history and videos.:a-no:

Edited by Adrianli
  • Haha! 2

40 minutes ago, Zxcvb said:

This type of marketing and shady pricing scheme must NOT be allowed to continue in Singapore. Remember last time the GST issue?? Advertise this price, then payment add the GST?? No GST-registered companies are allowed to price their products and services this manner (except restaurants which need to indicate on the menu the charges).

Good that ppl complain, no complain no improvement. 

You think this going to go away? Ha... look at all those "freemium" games on your phone... all tell you cheapcheap free game no charge then once inside BAM kena left right centre cough up ur money

Bird Park just discover this stunt only now

I dunno what's the complaint about.

It's really not the first time the Bird park has run this promotion. I've personally went in 2019 with the same promotion. Free entry but need to pay for the gated aviary or penguin part etc. Enjoyed myself, as i always do there. 

Maybe for senior it's a bit lugi lor. cos they get discounted prices already on most days.
THEN JUST GO ON ANOTHER DAY LAH WTF...
But think even my MG and PG parents can understand what are terms and conditions, so what's the big hoohah?

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

And btw, do not think that such forum letters being published are actually representative of the ST journalists thinking there's a story there to be shared.

Some of them are published precisely for people to realise that many people are actually laughing at them...

I have an annual family pass to all 4 wildlife parks and think it's great value for money with just 3-4 blackout days in a year.Good fun to go to any of these parks on off days\weekends with my young child.Most of the time, we don't even complete the entire park - just walk around a few exhibits , have lunch and come back home.

Even with a restricted entry to the Bird Park,IMO there is no need to grumble and grouch.There is plenty to see as you walk around.

Apparently it's a pastime nowadays to knock a good thing.

If you have enough time to write a letter to a newspaper or make a youtube video , you have enough time to do the appropriate research before heading down.

• Praise 3