How To Cope With Anxiety Disorder?

racerbum

For people who are suffering from anxiety, what are the things that they could do to help them cope with the disorder?  What are the treatment options for anxiety disorders?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

See a doctor to seek treatment, get support from family members and friends, relax and learn to let go, do things that one enjoys doing like gardening , sports,  avoid source of triggering , for example, if it is due to stress from work , quit the job and do something else, or talk to the boss to explore changing to a less stressful role.

Edited by Ct3833

See a psychiatrist and eat a lot of medicine!

If you don't believe the 1st psychiatrist, go and see a 2nd one for 2nd opinion. The result will be the same!

• Haha! 1

First thing to do is not be too anxious about finding a solution 😁

Time off the the regular routine and do things that one fancy is important... @Mustank, pray share your favourite links to self help...😜

• Praise 1

Because of what? Money issue? R/s issue? Work issue? (No need to post it here. Best keep it private.)

If all of the above....good luck. 😂

See a psychologist first. Get a referral from polyclinic. Ask for NUH (https://www.nuh.com.sg/our-services/Specialties/Psychological-Medicine/Pages/default.aspx). Maybe long waiting time. Expect a couple of Ks for the first evaluation. Not cheap. How much subsidies I dont know. I know more for pediatric psychology or children wan. 

Private will be shorter waiting time but most likely more ex. Subsidies can apply or not, not sure. 

Note: Not all psychologists are able to prescribe medication. Only qualified ones. If you see private do a background check on the psychologist you are seeing. I cant recommend any for adults.

Actually it's good that you recognize your issue. Many prefer to deny it. Good luck.

• Praise 2

33 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

If you don't believe the 1st psychiatrist, go and see a 2nd one for 2nd opinion. The result will be the same!

See 1st and follow with 2nd psychiatrist, take both medication together, problem solved. 

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
5 hours ago, racerbum said:

For people who are suffering from anxiety, what are the things that they could do to help them cope with the disorder?  What are the treatment options for anxiety disorders?

Hi bro. I hope that you are asking on behalf of someone else instead of you. The folks here are right and realistic. Go and seek medical assistance. Go see a psychiatrist. Nothing wrong about that one. For anxiety, you are always worrying and over-reacting on the thing that is happening and gonna happen. 

I would recommend you to take up mindfulness classes. You have to understand that you don't live in the future, don't worry about stuff in the future. Our mind is a wild animal, if you don't keep them in place, they will run to places that you don't want them to.

So just spend like 15min a day to sit down and learn what your mind is thinking. You can try this app!

https://www.headspace.com/

Anything just come back here for a chat ya! There is nothing better than sharing! It makes you feel better!

• Praise 3

Jokes aside, exercise does help, and magnesium citrate helps a lot with sleep. I used to be like this, worrying all the time for something that hasn't or isn't going to happen, the "What if". 

Go for a swim, it helps clear the mind, stay underwater for a while, enjoy the peace or a nice quiet walk in the park, all these does help calm the mind. Normally it has to do with work stress. 

• Praise 4

59 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Good advice, if a shrink doesn't help, keep going to shrinks. 😁

a22d7ff25f9531d52a809a33b01973e7.jpg

• Haha! 1

Just now, Turboflat4 said:

a22d7ff25f9531d52a809a33b01973e7.jpg

Both prescription take together is overdose hor. @RadX have to come and deliver to SGH Blk. 9 liow. 

• Haha! 1

23 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

See a psychologist first. Get a referral from polyclinic. Ask for NUH (https://www.nuh.com.sg/our-services/Specialties/Psychological-Medicine/Pages/default.aspx). Maybe long waiting time. Expect a couple of Ks for the first evaluation. Not cheap. How much subsidies I dont know. I know more for pediatric psychology or children wan. 

There is a major difference between a psychiatrist and psychologist as follows (got this off Google),

Psychiatrists are medical doctors, psychologists are not. Psychiatrists prescribe medication, psychologists can't. Psychiatrists diagnose illness, manage treatment and provide a range of therapies for complex and serious mental illness. Psychologists focus on providing psychotherapy (talk therapy) to help patients.

https://www.yourhealthinmind.org/psychiatry-explained/psychiatrists-and-psychologists#:~:text=Psychiatrists are medical doctors%2C psychologists,talk therapy) to help patients.

Thought is it important for people here to know the difference before they start anything.

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I did that for my own treatment a few years back. I visited 2 shrinks because I do not believe my mind was sick. Visited the 1st one because of my wife's and my sis' insistence. 1st one told me I have GAD but I told him I want to see another shrink to confirm. 2nd shrink told me I have GAD and this time I took the happy medicine - Lexapro.  

6 months of repeated visit and medication later, my wife and sis told me I am back to my normal self pre GAD. Personally I also felt good and I don't have the fear (another story this) anymore.

Conclusion is - listen to our family, and our doctors here are great - use them!  

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 5

32 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

First thing to do is not be too anxious about finding a solution 😁

Time off the the regular routine and do things that one fancy is important... @Mustank, pray share your favourite links to self help...😜

Different people has different tolerance for fear

Few people can’t sleep after beating a red light

some people can’t sleep with 1% money in volatile assets

More people can’t sleep if they can’t deliver at work 

most people can’t sleep after killing someone

it all depends on each fear tolerance level. If scary cat, then better choose the difficulty level: please don’t hurt me

Not everyone is born with idkfa

Dont think anyone can play with iddqd

Improve fear tolerance is can. Keep facing incremental fear situations 

For me I have a fear of the dark. so my solution is very simple: preparation 

Actively choose not to go into the situation that causes fear

if you have a fear of the dark like me, best is click play :grin:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Mazdaowner said:

Both prescription take together is overdose hor. @RadX have to come and deliver to SGH Blk. 9 liow. 

Yep at the beginning stage of the medication, there is an increase risk of suicide, particularly for teenagers. Shrink says one.

6 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

I did that for my own treatment a few years back. I visited 2 shrinks because I do not believe my mind was sick. Visited the 1st one because of my wife's and my sis' insistence. 1st one told me I have GAD but I told him I want to see another shrink to confirm. 2nd shrink told me I have GAD and this time I took the happy medicine - Lexapro.  

6 months of repeated visit and medication later, my wife and sis told me I am back to my normal self pre GAD. Personally I also felt good and I don't have the fear (another story this) anymore.

Conclusion is - listen to our family, and our doctors here are great - use them!  

Well said bro. Glad to hear you're better.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Mustank said:

Different people has different tolerance for fear

Also, different people are wired differently in their heads. Some are more susceptible to mental illness because of the way their heads are wired. There is a bit of hereditary factor in this.

Others are the "happy-go-lucky" type who fk care about money, worries and stress. These people are truly blessed...

• Praise 2

Avoid triggering point that will tigger your anxiety? Maybe it will help although it is not a permanent solution. Cause you cannot avoid forever and the root cause still there.

I find anxiety is something not easy to treat and recover fully once you got it.

↡ Advertisement