Women who misappropriated nearly $570k from motorcycle retailer Mah get jail

shrjun

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/jail-for-women-who-misappropriated-nearly-570k-from-well-known-motorcycle?fbclid=IwAR17aRtN7Fe95vMasxK29OR9ubu905zN02oPlkb81W4X3B4erpMTFBinME0

Two women working for well-known motorcycle retailer Mah Pte Ltd will have to spend time behind bars for their roles in misappropriating nearly $570,000 from their employer.

Singaporeans Kamalasari Kamaludin, 36, and Sayeeda Nafisa Osman, 38, took monies meant for the company from at least 457 customers who were making instalment payments.

They used the funds to cover their personal expenses and have made no restitution, the court heard.

Kamalasari was sentenced on Friday (Jan 29) to four years and four months' jail after pleading guilty to two counts of taking part in a conspiracy to commit criminal breach of trust.

She also admitted to two counts of dealing with the benefits of her criminal conduct.

Sayeeda was dealt with earlier. She was sentenced to three years and 10 months' jail.

The offences took place in 2014 and the following year. Both women stopped working there in November 2015 after their crime was uncovered.

On Friday, Deputy Public Prosecutor Chng Luey Chi described how the women siphoned the monies.

Both had used their roles in the company to fool Mah Pte Ltd into believing customers were defaulting on instalment payments.

Kamalasari had worked in Mah's legal department, and was involved in preparing documents on customers who defaulted on their instalment payments to the firm.

Sayeeda worked as a cashier and had access to all of the company's computer systems.

The DPP said sometime in 2014, Sayeeda asked to borrow money from Kamalasari. The younger woman replied that she had no cash to spare. The women then hatched the plan to misappropriate the monies.

"They would collect cash from customers who were making instalment payments... When a customer handed the instalment payment to Sayeeda, they would issue the customer a manual receipt instead of keying it into the computer system and generating a receipt from there.

"This would ensure that the payment was not captured in the computer system. They would then retain the cash given by the customer and split the cash amongst themselves," said the DPP.

They started in September 2014 and continued until November 2015.

Their offences came to light that month when the company's finance manager checked on a customer's overdue payment and discovered that he had already paid up.

The manager conducted a thorough check and realised that the two offenders had been collecting many instalment payments from customers and siphoning the monies for their own use.

She alerted the police Nov 24, 2015.

DPP Chng said that Kamalasari transferred more than $200,000 of her ill-gotten gains into her bank accounts in 2014 and 2015.

For each count of criminal breach of trust, an offender can be jailed for up to 15 years and fined.

Edited by shrjun
add
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Report police in 2015, case only closed today? Nice efficiency.

not necessary a bad thing... it's a mental torture for these 2 buggers to wait 5+ years for the verdict to be out

1 hour ago, Scion said:

not necessary a bad thing... it's a mental torture for these 2 buggers to wait 5+ years for the verdict to be out

And most likely they will not able to travel.

2 minutes ago, Beregond said:

I only want to know if the money is recovered. 

If not recovered.  Sit  3 years make 200k over.?

It’s in the article.  No restitution. 

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

It’s in the article.  No restitution

oh ok, i dun understand this word at first 😅.

i am curious in such cases, if the money cannot be recover. despite the criminals going to jail, can the victim sue and claim the criminals private property or belonging as compensation?? if cannot they are quite smart in a sense, its almost 7k pay per month to sit in jail.

remind me of the city harvest case. forgot got restitution or not, 

29 minutes ago, Beregond said:

oh ok, i dun understand this word at first 😅.

i am curious in such cases, if the money cannot be recover. despite the criminals going to jail, can the victim sue and claim the criminals private property or belonging as compensation?? if cannot they are quite smart in a sense, its almost 7k pay per month to sit in jail.

remind me of the city harvest case. forgot got restitution or not, 

Can sue but,the Ladies will declare Bankrupt..end up incur legal Fees.

• Haha! 2

25 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

All I know is that this motorcycle retailer is sitting on a piece of valuable land along upper serangoon road. 😁

Oh, it is next to the former National Aerated Water Company. It's going to be a heritage site?

18 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Can sue but,the Ladies will declare Bankrupt..end up incur legal Fees.

Lawyers win lor! 😁

11 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Oh, it is next to the former National Aerated Water Company. It's going to be a heritage site?

Nope,because the Building are newly built...so cannot consider a Heritage Site...

• Praise 1

41 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

All I know is that this motorcycle retailer is sitting on a piece of valuable land along upper serangoon road. 😁

Yeah next to RC Cola. Now RC Cola is a nice brand new condo.

Mah can be a nice new condo too and move to Defu lane.

:grin:

• Praise 1

Mah is also next to Mr Ah Seng Stainless Steel.

I wonder if Mr Ah Seng would like to sell and move to Defu

and can retire with a lot of money.

• Haha! 2

33 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Don't think its of heritage status, but the former Nat Aerated Company has been redeveloped into a condo. 

18 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Mah is also next to Mr Ah Seng Stainless Steel.

I wonder if Mr Ah Seng would like to sell and move to Defu

and can retire with a lot of money.

Ah Seng stainless steel is that kind of old timer ah cek owned business who may be a multi millionaire, in cash. 

Selling built to order stainless steel racks and shelves to kitchens, restaurants, hawkers is good business 😁

Not forgetting his warehouse/factory is worth a lot of $$$

Edited by Lethalstrike
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1