Suu Kyi detained

Didu

19 hours ago, Ake109 said:

Its not about Myanmar's democracy or the Burmese people's wishes. 

Now, I may have missed something but....... Can it be confirmed the huge landslide the government won wasn't in fact fraudulent?

Aung has not covered herself in glory these last year's, not stopping ethnic cleansing.

At some point, MAYBE, the idea/ideal we have about a person is not, in actual fact, correct?

Yes, sure, she was the figure of hope whilst locked up at home for many years and was the idea of a democratic, grown up society but can that be enough to swing such a large victory. Okay, so banning Rhohinga from taking part is the start of a "fix" so the best we should say is..... neither side is right?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Spoke to a Myanmar working in Singapore 

Those generals are into all sorts of legal and illegal businesses. They literally control the country economy and GDP. 

And that chief general, he's due to retire in 6 months time. And he didn't want the democratic country because he will lose his businesses. 

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

If you're drowning, and someone tosses you a life preserver, you're not going to decline it because the guy is an arsehole. 

That about sum it up? 

Hmmm, analogies and wordplay can be quite the philosophical game. It could be re-phrased as: you are in debt and an arsehole loanshark offers fast credit. Sounds different already right?

Now, semantics aside, I agree that if I am a Burmese who wants democracy, yes I would welcome the USA's intervention.

However, I am sitting on the sidelines and I am just pointing out that USA is a hypocrite. I am seeing an arsehole who has pushed other people in the water or withheld life preservers from others, now throw a life preserver to a drowning person.

46 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Spoke to a Myanmar working in Singapore 

Those generals are into all sorts of legal and illegal businesses. They literally control the country economy and GDP. 

And that chief general, he's due to retire in 6 months time. And he didn't want the democratic country because he will lose his businesses. 

$ounds about right.

1 hour ago, bsswan said:

Now, I may have missed something but....... Can it be confirmed the huge landslide the government won wasn't in fact fraudulent?

Aung has not covered herself in glory these last year's, not stopping ethnic cleansing.

At some point, MAYBE, the idea/ideal we have about a person is not, in actual fact, correct?

Yes, sure, she was the figure of hope whilst locked up at home for many years and was the idea of a democratic, grown up society but can that be enough to swing such a large victory. Okay, so banning Rhohinga from taking part is the start of a "fix" so the best we should say is..... neither side is right?

I am sprouting armchair theories but from what I have read, it seems that IF she had tried to do more to help the rohingyas, her support from the majority Burmese would have been LESS. 

24 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

I am sprouting armchair theories but from what I have read, it seems that IF she had tried to do more to help the rohingyas, her support from the majority Burmese would have been LESS. 

Wow. Okay, there are so many points to consider.....

https://news.sky.com/story/aung-san-suu-kyi-ousted-myanmar-leader-charged-and-remanded-in-detention-12207346

Supercharged
16 minutes ago, bsswan said:

Apparently, walkie talkies are controlled items in Myanmar(As tightly regulated as drones are in SG [laugh]). It's not like one can simply order a set from Taobao. Anyway, walkie talkie or not, when general there say you are finished, they dig a deep hole to make sure you'll never climb back out. I hope ASSK have a way to negotiate out of this tight spot.

Its a sad thing that Myanmar tribes generally disagree with the Rohingya.

Its a cultural thing lost in translation.

Choosing a lesser weevil in the exigency of service. One thing at a time for Suu Kyi, protecting the Rohingya would be suicide for Suu Kyi's opus.

The Generals can hold onto power because they can provide...especially for the foot soldier which Suu Kyi does not.

Which says alot about the state of Myanmar and the ability to provide an organized society.

One thing about Generals, they are usually outstanding in being neat and tidy and getting rations on time.