Do you know how luffa is made?

Heartlander

Got literally blown off by this fact. Been using it once in a while and just thought it is made like a normal sponge. Really learning new things all the time. Would be keen to get hold of some seeds to try growing it here if possible.

Definitely feeling better using it now knowing that it is sort of organic haha.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

What they call as Luffa, ours is different.

What we call locally as luffa is jiao gua. 

It's like spinach i guess. Our local spinach is not the same as angmoh spinach lol

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Just now, Lala81 said:

What we call as luffa is jiao gua.

Haha this luffa sponge never imagine to be a type of gua. The jiao gua can grow to be for use as sponge for scrubbing?

3 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Haha this luffa sponge never imagine to be a type of gua. The jiao gua can grow to be for use as sponge for scrubbing?

don't know. I never heard of this until u posted.

But our local luffa looks like this
https://shopee.sg/Luffa-Cylindrical---Angled-Gourd---Gourds----Seeds-from-SG--i.20815062.6657804896?gclid=CjwKCAiAsOmABhAwEiwAEBR0Zrzmkr_TJQavC32P42TBA18HXg2C-xu3n7_uuTG7Rka38FJ6XifXlRoCFB8QAvD_BwE

It's long skinny and quite soft so not really bah.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

34 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Got literally blown off by this fact. Been using it once in a while and just thought it is made like a normal sponge. Really learning new things all the time. Would be keen to get hold of some seeds to try growing it here if possible.

Definitely feeling better using it now knowing that it is sort of organic haha.

That is the cheapest sponge you can find in China, in fact it is free for many in the country side. Then western started to market it as some innovative / high class organic sponge... 

21 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

What we call locally as luffa is jiao gua. 

It's like spinach i guess. Our local spinach is not the same as angmoh spinach lol

It is called 丝瓜 in Chinese. I used it (fresh) one for soup (a good substitute for shark fin if you know how to get the proportion right). 

角瓜 is a different type of gourd. I don't remember I cooked it before. 

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

21 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

don't know. I never heard of this until u posted.

But our local luffa looks like this
https://shopee.sg/Luffa-Cylindrical---Angled-Gourd---Gourds----Seeds-from-SG--i.20815062.6657804896?gclid=CjwKCAiAsOmABhAwEiwAEBR0Zrzmkr_TJQavC32P42TBA18HXg2C-xu3n7_uuTG7Rka38FJ6XifXlRoCFB8QAvD_BwE

It's long skinny and quite soft so not really bah.

Thanks to your link, I just ordered some luffa seeds from another supplier in Shopee. Will post more if successful haha.  

24 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

That is the cheapest sponge you can find in China, in fact it is free for many in the country side. Then western started to market it as some innovative / high class organic sponge... 

It is called 丝瓜 in Chinese. I used it (fresh) one for soup (a good substitute for shark fin if you know how to get the proportion right). 

角瓜 is a different type of gourd. I don't remember I cooked it before. 

The PRCs call them si gua. But i tried to cook one of what i thought was a luffa/si gua before, turned out it was more like lao huang gua (probably i bought wrongly cos i just hantum whack).

Maybe one day i ask the vegetable seller. 

For the ridged luffa, Jiao gua is more of a local name. But the taiwanese and PRCs both have the same thing. IIRC, the taiwanese also call our jiao gua as si gua. 

Anyway they are all just different variants of the same luffa family.

Edited by Lala81

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

The PRCs call them si gua. But i tried to cook one of what i thought was a luffa/si gua before, turned out it was more like lao huang gua (probably i bought wrongly cos i just hantum whack).

Maybe one day i ask the vegetable seller. 

For the ridged luffa, Jiao gua is more of a local name. But the taiwanese and PRCs both have the same thing. IIRC, the taiwanese also call our jiao gua as si gua. 

Anyway they are all just different variants of the same luffa family.

Ok thanks to the google and shopee having the actual names of the plants.

Luffa acutangula is called ridged luffa/gourd, aka Jiao gua. (haha this is so funny, it's called acute angle)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffa_acutangula
LUFFA AEGYPTIACA/Cylindrica is si gua.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luffa

Like i mentioned above, i think in PRC and Taiwan, they just all call them si gua.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement