ACS boy dies during high adventure course

Lala81

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/acsi-boy-dies-after-incident-on-high-element-activity

Poor boy and his parents [:(] 

Carabina not fastened? No belaying?

SINGAPORE - A student has died after falling during a high-element activity at Safra Yishun on Wednesday (Feb 3).

The boy, who is believed to be a 15-year-old student from Anglo-Chinese School (Independent), was taken to hospital after the incident on Wednesday and died the following morning.

The Straits Times understands he was taking part in the school activity organised by Camelot, an outdoor adventure learning company.

High-element activities are sometimes used as part of school camps to instil confidence in students. It may involve participants clearing obstacles at a height while wearing safety equipment such as helmets, harnesses and ropes.

Following the incident, the instructors were questioned by the police, but no foul play is currently suspected.

ST has reached out to the school and other authorities for details on the incident.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 9

Not sure how this boy fall. 

The one I went to, Mega Zip, years ago, there was no way to remove the harness or safety hook once you are hooked to the line. The only way was to reverse back to the start platform or finish platform. If you are stuck, the instructors will have to hook up their own safety line and come guide you back to the start or finish. No way they will cut the line or harness unless I think its an emergency.

6 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Not sure how this boy fall. 

The one I went to, Mega Zip, years ago, there was no way to remove the harness or safety hook once you are hooked to the line. The only way was to reverse back to the start platform or finish platform. If you are stuck, the instructors will have to hook up their own safety line and come guide you back to the start or finish. No way they will cut the line or harness unless I think its an emergency.

The safra yishun the main part is a very tall rock wall.

Then there are some outdoor lines and platforms behind. 

I didn't even know it's operating currently, everytime i gone past for months, it's been closed. During phase 2 last year, everything was closed also when i go for swimming with my kids.

every parent's worst fears. the phone call from school in the middle of the day.  but you cant not let the kid do things, do dangerous things even, esp boys... 

i struggled so much with my wife on this. 

• Praise 10

1 hour ago, Chongster said:

every parent's worst fears. the phone call from school in the middle of the day.  but you cant not let the kid do things, do dangerous things even, esp boys... 

If u don’t allow them this opportunity, when comes to army gernade throwing would be more kangchoing 

• Haha! 1

Speculation not withstanding,

We place faith on externalities and organisations to ensure the well-being of our child.

How much faith would be too little, and how much to be over confident?

Perhaps, as parents, we ought to go through similar activities with 1 - 1 attention on our child and to teach them the danger awareness and hazards to spot.

Taking a leaf from teaching my eldest to swim, the safety conscious/awareness factor, rather than pace of improvement is more important to me, while in group activities, the instructor may not have the luxury to give full attention to every child and herein is where risks spike

• Praise 2

42 minutes ago, Ender said:

Could be those tree top obstacle courses. 

when i did last time at OBS, got belayer one. I think the newer systems got mechanical belaying or something.

26 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

If u don’t allow them this opportunity, when comes to army gernade throwing would be more kangchoing 

Now where got so many grenade to throw? My time dont even bother with the dummy wan. I think no budget. What m203 curry powder also no hab. I think they spent the money on the virtual reality like play game wan. Now that peace time training got so many soldier die they wont let anyone throw grenade. Shoot the virtual m203  good enough.

• Haha! 1

Real life is dangerous. But I feel we need not expose the kids or in fact anyone to more danger than required. I read a line from Dilbert once : something about motivational or team-building courses being doing dangerous activities that have absolutely nothing to do with work!

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Chongster said:

Is that dangerous??? I though these stuff are meant to be safe. 

16 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Is that dangerous??? I though these stuff are meant to be safe. 

quite safe, every year hundreds of students attend.

• Praise 2

RIP 

Classic MOE - suspends ALL height related activities. No head no tail, but just suspend first lah.   If dies during Normal PE, you can be sure ALL PE will be suspended too.  

• Praise 5

9 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

RIP 

Classic MOE - suspends ALL height related activities. No head no tail, but just suspend first lah.   If dies during Normal PE, you can be sure ALL PE will be suspended too.  

I think it is ok to suspend and review safety measures asap. Never know, could be systematic in nature. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2