KIA Motrex Head Unit Keeps Rebooting

Liquidsn

Hi Guys,

Driving a KIA K3, about 4 years old, the Motrex head unit that came with intermittently will keep rebooting by itself, though sometimes it works fine. Anyone have this issue?

Thanks. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

13 hours ago, Liquidsn said:

Hi Guys,

Driving a KIA K3, about 4 years old, the Motrex head unit that came with intermittently will keep rebooting by itself, though sometimes it works fine. Anyone have this issue?

Thanks. 

if you are a DIY person you can remove the HU yourself and use a contact cleaner to spray on the connectors.  This is what I would try.

The youtube video shows you how to remove the HU.  It appears more difficult than Jap rides but should be doable.

The contact cleaner that I am using is Mckenic brand.

image.png.728e7c36fe261a7843f25eff122c5c5b.png

Edited by BoneStock
  • Praise 1

On 2/5/2021 at 8:09 AM, Watwheels said:

Battery how old? The rebooting occurs just after start up or what?

The battery connectors are they loose or not?

Battery is pretty new about 6 months old only. Rebooting is random, sometimes start car already go crazy, sometimes in the middle of a drive it reboots

(edited)
On 2/5/2021 at 8:56 AM, BoneStock said:

if you are a DIY person you can remove the HU yourself and use a contact cleaner to spray on the connectors.  This is what I would try.

The youtube video shows you how to remove the HU.  It appears more difficult than Jap rides but should be doable.

The contact cleaner that I am using is Mckenic brand.

image.png.728e7c36fe261a7843f25eff122c5c5b.png

Thanks. But i not very hand on, better not anyhow try lol. I suspect it's firmware issue as when it reboots, the lights on the button is still lighted, so should not be a power issue?

Edited by Liquidsn

went 3rd party workshop for servicing and got them to take a look too, it seems wiring all looks okie, so could be firmware issue or head unit hardware issue. 😞 Anyone recommendations for replacement head unit that supports apple carplay? The head unit we have screen size is 8 inches right?

Neutral Newbie

I facing the same issue as you recently. 

My car is also 4 yrs old. 

Did you manage to solve the issue?

Neutral Newbie

Installed a Pumpkin android head unit on my KIA and it works well.
I love the big beautiful screen! I hated having a small screen for my backup camera because I felt it was a hassle to use and now this makes it perfect! I can see everything when I'm backing up. The screen is very responsive and doesn't lag at all. my phone paired up with the stereo really fast and easy just had to put in the pin. All the apps work just as on my phone I even was able to set up the nova launcher. Calls seem to work great haven't had an issue where no one couldn't hear me.

(edited)

@Liquidsn 

I installed the Alpine Halo 9. There are other brands with CarPlay available from Pioneer as well, which are worth a look.946790431_photo_2021-04-1023_08_11.jpeg.2635fd49ac970400b57c5f21df1d383c.jpeg.e1015a149eeeea9b3e46200b058c2f20.jpeg

Edited by Jzachlee

It's me again haha. Previously managed to sort of solve it by updating firmware. Everything is okie until yesterday. Now totally no power, usb also no power. Checked the multimedia1 fuse, seems okie.

Dont know whats wrong liao. Thinking of replacing it. Any recommendations? Need apple carplay. Any specific dimensions i need to look out for to ensure it fits or as long as double din can liao? easy to self install? Driving a 2017 EX.

Thanks.

Edited by Liquidsn