Hyundai / Kia reliability - To the extent of having a nationwide petition in korea.... what is going on??

jonbaekis00

All Kia / Hyundai owners (2016 onwards models)

How is your general experience with Hyundai & Kia In the past few years ? 

Ive been keen on the New CN7 Avante for awhile now, but i keep seeing recalls, problems, horror stories online

From Theta 2 engine, Gamma Engine, DCT problems (in tuscon 1.6T), IVT problems , Aircon got water sounds, trunk seeping water , extreme vibration when idling, screeching, door opening while driving, transmission jerking, loss of power... 

wah too many to list.... But all these problems ive not heard from my friends that own hyundai & kia locally, generally said problem free 

There is even a nationwide petition against hyundai & korean govt for an apology ... 222k people signed. 

Was keen on CN7 Avante Elite... Seems like good value for money with packed features ( Dual power seats with driver memory, Beautiful interior, Heated n Aircon seats)

And stuff like the seat functions above... headache to add aftermarket also right? Mazda 3 has driver power seat with memory... but no passenger side ... Altis dont even need to see

Having second thoughts on the Hyundai & Kia Brand...

Any bros wanna share their experience good or bad ? 

Drive safe all

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Bros ... my experience with Kia limited to Cerato SX which I gave up 2 years ago. TBH ... I loved the car! If the car's aircon did not give up on me (after 8.5 years), I would have driven it till COE  was due.

I had some concerns about the Korean marques initially but I was just starting out so that was all I could afford. The Kia Cerato had a lot of features for a reasonable price and even some features not available in some Jap cars after 8 years!

I think most cars will have some recall issues as it gets more and more complicated. However, I have no regrets getting the Kia Cerato. I have since changed to Honda CRV not a result of not trusting the Sorento but cos CO wanted the CRV.

• Praise 3

For reliability issues, only heard in USA for last few years have Hyundai/Kia high pressure fuel pump (for direct injection) leaking issues, causing cars on fire.

Recently their Genesis GV80 new model have IL6 Diesel issues.

Other than that, most of US folks in forums and car sites praise Hyundai/Kia for decent reliability.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, jonbaekis00 said:

Ive been keen on the New CN7 Avante for awhile now, but i keep seeing recalls, problems, horror stories online

From Theta 2 engine, Gamma Engine, DCT problems (in tuscon 1.6T), IVT problems , Aircon got water sounds, trunk seeping water , extreme vibration when idling, screeching, door opening while driving, transmission jerking, loss of power... 

wah too many to list.... But all these problems ive not heard from my friends that own hyundai & kia locally, generally said problem free 

There is even a nationwide petition against hyundai & korean govt for an apology ... 222k people signed. 

Was keen on CN7 Avante Elite... Seems like good value for money with packed features ( Dual power seats with driver memory, Beautiful interior, Heated n Aircon seats)

And stuff like the seat functions above... headache to add aftermarket also right? Mazda 3 has driver power seat with memory... but no passenger side ... Altis dont even need to see

Drive safe all

222k petitions  is high,  there are many more probably didnt bother, but it could be a domestic market model issue, not sure if they have domestic market model like JDM, if they have pervasive  issues ,  sgp market  cant be so quiet.  Sgprean like to complain and even report police 😅

Edited by Ct3833

I drive a 2018 AD so far mileage around 70K around went to Komoco 3 times for their drive shaft issue although they rectify FOC but after a while problem still comes back. Wasting my time send to  them.

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Acewin said:

I drive a 2018 AD so far mileage around 70K around went to Komoco 3 times for their drive shaft issue although they rectify FOC but after a while problem still comes back. Wasting my time send to  them.

same here my avante 2019 was sent in to replace the drive shaft at 20k, so far so good.

my previous avante 2009 was manual and sold at 175k mileage, no major issues though.

only complaint is the weak air con in kimchi cars.

• Praise 3

Reliability issues, weak air-con and heavy fuel consumption of Korean cars aside, if you look at the price of Japanese cars, their higher OMV (Open Market Value), proven reliability and fuel efficiency, why would you even want to consider a Korean marque? 

image.png.ff2f810bc7a91ffe448a33a7062b90af.png

image.png.39908b55da92201ae6de17247b4bce82.png

image.png.3667a183d6e45995211f7a1201c13417.png

image.png.fc446450eccf0f08172889d99288f98e.png

image.png.a59d7b173d3d4e76e677bccdb3f8c262.png

image.png.ee2681c0434d2c3ceef13851ee37f90d.png

image.png.cdfb6e6b83403d244bccb37ea88cb7bc.png

Source: www.sgcarmart.com

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 2

20 minutes ago, Acewin said:

may be yours isolated case. unless others experience the same.. 

27 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Reliability issues, weak air-con and heavy fuel consumption of Korean cars aside, if you look at the price of Japanese cars, their higher OMV (Open Market Value), proven reliability and fuel efficiency, why would you even want to consider a Korean marque? 

first time owning a korean car with the CN7, and you are right about the weak aircon.

fuel consumption is pretty good though, on par if not better than the mazda 3/civic/altis. with my heavy short distance city driving, i'm still getting 13km/L, while other folks who drive mainly on expressways are getting close to the claimed 18km/L 

as for reliability issues, it's still early days for me since i'm just into my 3rd month with the car, but i'm definitely hoping you're wrong on that front 😛 

• Praise 2

Two cars...

2001 to 2006 Hyundai Elantra MD. Bought new. Replaced front bonnet chrome strip, front driver + passenger sun visor - cos the mirror keep dropping out, change O2 sensor, replace leaking front shock absorber. All under warranty and within first 2 years. No other issue until I changed car in 2006. Can't remember mileage but average about 12,000 km per year.

2016 till current Hyundai Sonata LF. Bought new. Replaced front driver and passenger sun visor - cos the mirror keep dropping out, change whole steering wheel cos there was rattling sound in it, changed clockspring in left side steering wheel controls cos the buttons stopped working suddenly. First two issues within first week and first year of ownership. Last issue, just recently, a week back. All under warranty. 67,000 km.

I like both cars very much. Very reliable. Both driven up to Cameron Highlands, Ipoh, Penang, numerous times and at high speeds.

• Praise 3

31 minutes ago, teomingern said:

I like both cars very much. Very reliable. Both driven up to Cameron Highlands, Ipoh, Penang, numerous times and at high speeds.

sounds like you had 2 good rides! i'm looking forward to the day when i can do the same on my CN7 :D 

7 hours ago, jonbaekis00 said:

Drive safe all

Last time, I ONLY Drive Japanese Car lor and now my second Kia since end-2017, OK leh.

Last Kia, Zero towing !!  Evaporator changed after 6 or 7 years lor.

I am OK with Kia one.  Current is Kia Carens DCT 1.7L CRDi !! Awesome !!

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

image.png.ff2f810bc7a91ffe448a33a7062b90af.png

image.png.39908b55da92201ae6de17247b4bce82.png

image.png.3667a183d6e45995211f7a1201c13417.png

image.png.fc446450eccf0f08172889d99288f98e.png

image.png.a59d7b173d3d4e76e677bccdb3f8c262.png

image.png.ee2681c0434d2c3ceef13851ee37f90d.png

image.png.cdfb6e6b83403d244bccb37ea88cb7bc.png

Source: www.sgcarmart.com

Japanese car technology and design going downhill since 2010s. Once you see conti cars having modern 6-8 speed auto/dct, turbo and radical cabin design, you will be horrified to see the outdated technology jap car brands are offering. Only exception here is mazda which is doing very well.

Korean have been catching up by having European designers formally from conti brands, but selling at a much lower OMV. that's why u see them catching up now.

Note: the weak aircon is not due to hardware, it's a localisation issue. It's coded for European/korean climate hence it feel warmer at ASEAN temp. Just keep the temp lower to get more fan speed from the AC.

Edited by Ceecookie
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, ferrytales said:

same here my avante 2019 was sent in to replace the drive shaft at 20k, so far so good.

my previous avante 2009 was manual and sold at 175k mileage, no major issues though.

only complaint is the weak air con in kimchi cars.

I am driving a 2009 Avante HD manual too since day one. 11.5 years on, close to 169k km, it has been better. Still quiet. Past 10 years, mostly on city driving, economy is around 11 to 13km/l. Now mostly on highway, averages around 17km/l. The compressor needs to perform flushing at intervals to provide optimum cool air performance. Well not as cold as the Japs but with periodic flushing, it's good to keep the cabin cool in our weather. For the value I got for this car in 2009 and renewed for 10 years in 2019, the deal this Avante HD provides is really no match.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 2

Even on majority highway driving in a manual, best is 14-15km/h in the 2009 Avante when driven in a highly sedated manner. Quite an amazing feat to achieve 17km/l.

Edited by Vinceng

15 hours ago, jonbaekis00 said:

Drive safe all

maybe u can provide more details about the petition now that u know most guys here dun have persistent quality issues and problems in their cars.  I have 3 yr old DCT with "radical cabin design" and its given no major issues at this point to protest the local AD or manufacturer.   

Edited by Gz0707
↡ Advertisement