Hyundai / Kia reliability - To the extent of having a nationwide petition in korea.... what is going on??

jonbaekis00

8 hours ago, bonjin said:

sounds like you had 2 good rides! i'm looking forward to the day when i can do the same on my CN7 :D 

Oh yeah... my last drive was in 2019 - Singapore - Ipoh - Penang - Genting Highlands - Melaka - Singapore... ha ha... spent 10 days in all... love the drive...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

9 hours ago, Contipro said:

may be yours isolated case. unless others experience the same.. 

This is a know issue among those year 2018 registered series.

On 2/7/2021 at 5:24 PM, Mcscot said:

Bros ... my experience with Kia limited to Cerato SX which I gave up 2 years ago. TBH ... I loved the car! If the car's aircon did not give up on me (after 8.5 years), I would have driven it till COE  was due.

I had some concerns about the Korean marques initially but I was just starting out so that was all I could afford. The Kia Cerato had a lot of features for a reasonable price and even some features not available in some Jap cars after 8 years!

I think most cars will have some recall issues as it gets more and more complicated. However, I have no regrets getting the Kia Cerato. I have since changed to Honda CRV not a result of not trusting the Sorento but cos CO wanted the CRV.

Korean cars from back then i understand were quite bulletproof !

23 hours ago, Acewin said:

I drive a 2018 AD so far mileage around 70K around went to Komoco 3 times for their drive shaft issue although they rectify FOC but after a while problem still comes back. Wasting my time send to  them.

This i understand is an issue w the 2018 ADs... and was rectified, not too sure 

23 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Reliability issues, weak air-con and heavy fuel consumption of Korean cars aside, if you look at the price of Japanese cars, their higher OMV (Open Market Value), proven reliability and fuel efficiency, why would you even want to consider a Korean marque? 

image.png.ff2f810bc7a91ffe448a33a7062b90af.png

image.png.39908b55da92201ae6de17247b4bce82.png

image.png.3667a183d6e45995211f7a1201c13417.png

image.png.fc446450eccf0f08172889d99288f98e.png

image.png.a59d7b173d3d4e76e677bccdb3f8c262.png

image.png.ee2681c0434d2c3ceef13851ee37f90d.png

image.png.cdfb6e6b83403d244bccb37ea88cb7bc.png

Source: www.sgcarmart.com

IMHO In the late 2000s and early 2010s , they were decent cars... FC depends which car as my friends 2008 avante consistently gets 13-16km/l which i think isnt bad.. aircon is solid too... its the recent year "nicer" design models that have been haaving constant issues....

On 2/7/2021 at 7:58 PM, t0y0ta said:

For reliability issues, only heard in USA for last few years have Hyundai/Kia high pressure fuel pump (for direct injection) leaking issues, causing cars on fire.

Recently their Genesis GV80 new model have IL6 Diesel issues.

Other than that, most of US folks in forums and car sites praise Hyundai/Kia for decent reliability.

Yes ive heard. from extra reading, it seems like the ADs and service center in korea has terrible aftersales service. There was an incident where the car camera recorded the mechanic of the service center and tell them its all normal. I think most ADs have these issues afterall even in SG. 

23 hours ago, bonjin said:

first time owning a korean car with the CN7, and you are right about the weak aircon.

fuel consumption is pretty good though, on par if not better than the mazda 3/civic/altis. with my heavy short distance city driving, i'm still getting 13km/L, while other folks who drive mainly on expressways are getting close to the claimed 18km/L 

as for reliability issues, it's still early days for me since i'm just into my 3rd month with the car, but i'm definitely hoping you're wrong on that front 😛 

I hope the CN7 is not so problematic too as a prospective buyer... beautiful interior... shame we dont get the 10.25 infotainment here. That FC sounds amazing !

22 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

Last time, I ONLY Drive Japanese Car lor and now my second Kia since end-2017, OK leh.

Last Kia, Zero towing !!  Evaporator changed after 6 or 7 years lor.

I am OK with Kia one.  Current is Kia Carens DCT 1.7L CRDi !! Awesome !!

I am impressed by the FC of the Carens... a grab driver told me once he gets 900+km on a full tank....

22 hours ago, Ceecookie said:

Japanese car technology and design going downhill since 2010s. Once you see conti cars having modern 6-8 speed auto/dct, turbo and radical cabin design, you will be horrified to see the outdated technology jap car brands are offering. Only exception here is mazda which is doing very well.

Korean have been catching up by having European designers formally from conti brands, but selling at a much lower OMV. that's why u see them catching up now.

Note: the weak aircon is not due to hardware, it's a localisation issue. It's coded for European/korean climate hence it feel warmer at ASEAN temp. Just keep the temp lower to get more fan speed from the AC.

I just hope the european designers brought beautiful designs but left the reliability issues at home !

19 hours ago, Heartbreakid said:

I am driving a 2009 Avante HD manual too since day one. 11.5 years on, close to 169k km, it has been better. Still quiet. Past 10 years, mostly on city driving, economy is around 11 to 13km/l. Now mostly on highway, averages around 17km/l. The compressor needs to perform flushing at intervals to provide optimum cool air performance. Well not as cold as the Japs but with periodic flushing, it's good to keep the cabin cool in our weather. For the value I got for this car in 2009 and renewed for 10 years in 2019, the deal this Avante HD provides is really no match.

09 HD is a solid car... i honestly think its the most humble hyundai made that it a real competitor to the altis back in the day...

13 hours ago, Gz0707 said:

maybe u can provide more details about the petition now that u know most guys here dun have persistent quality issues and problems in their cars.  I have 3 yr old DCT with "radical cabin design" and its given no major issues at this point to protest the local AD or manufacturer.   

Tuscon ? BTW this is the link to the petition https://www1.president.go.kr/petitions/594108

Not sure how to put this into google translate ! But it seems like the korean govt is trying to side both the manufacturer n consumer.

222,017 signed from 20/11/2020 to 20/12/2020

kmcw.png

Just check the website. The petition objective is to get the support from Samsung, Hyundai/Kia, SK Hynix, LG and etc to support the ban of dog meat.

• Haha! 1

Currently,. I am driving a 2.5 years old SX Cerato. I am enjoying driving it. Much better road holding than my last 2015 Altis. 

C&C Panda after sales service not that bad. Whatever issues, they are to rectify it.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Twich said:

Currently,. I am driving a 2.5 years old SX Cerato. I am enjoying driving it. Much better road holding than my last 2015 Altis. 

C&C Panda after sales service not that bad. Whatever issues, they are to rectify it.

yeah, i also driving my 3rd Kia... overall quality is better than Jap cars... 

• Praise 1

I guess gone were the days where Japanese marquees are known for top notch quality as well. My last Honda Civic FD (Made in Japan), within 3 years, I had 2 engine mountings replaced,2 headlights replaced as it was foggy despite the car having a low mileage (3 years about 24k). 

Current Hyundai Avante AD, within 2 years, went back to rectify the boot lever (2 times) and replaced 1 headlamp leveller switch. 

The overall QC for Hyundai has improved over the years, but i guess they are still behind the Japanese makes despite the Japanese makes also suffering from a dip in quality now. 

2006 to 2010: Accent

2010 - 2020: Cerato

2020 to present: Avante

So far no major problems except for Cerato changed air-con compressor on year 5. Other than that & the regular servicings every 6 months, never step into car workshop.

On Elantra AD 2018. Bought new. Drove like it is dirt to me. 3k rpm from traffic light till 50km/hr on normal road. On highway, pedal all the way if necessary (sometimes 5k rpm) to change lane. Chiong over humps etc. Basically I am very unkind to my car. I don't believe in gentle driving to 'preserve' the car. 

Minor quality issues. Third-brake light bulb blown after end of first year. DRL lightbulb keep blowing (change 2-3 times). Changed the bulbs myself since it is just a few dollars rather than driving all the way to AD service center to replace. Door handle replaced by AD FOC. Air-con is weak like what most said compared to other cars but doesn't bothers me since I just lower the temperature (90% of max coolness). First year FOC servicing at AD after that done it at own workshop. So far, just regular oil change and nothing more. No issues with AD workshop. Regular servicing, drop car and wait for them to call me to collect. Same goes for repair. 

Been itching to change car (4th year of ownership now) but can't find a real good reason to dislike my current Elantra AD to change. Those minor problems highlighted above I can live with it. 

Edited by Gizmore
  • Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Gizmore said:

On Elantra AD 2018. Bought new. Drove like it is dirt to me. 3k rpm from traffic light till 50km/hr on normal road. On highway, pedal all the way if necessary (sometimes 5k rpm) to change lane. Chiong over humps etc. Basically I am very unkind to my car. I don't believe in gentle driving to 'preserve' the car. 

Minor quality issues. Third-brake light bulb blown after end of first year. DRL lightbulb keep blowing (change 2-3 times). Changed the bulbs myself since it is just a few dollars rather than driving all the way to AD service center to replace. Door handle replaced by AD FOC. Air-con is weak like what most said compared to other cars but doesn't bothers me since I just lower the temperature (90% of max coolness). First year FOC servicing at AD after that done it at own workshop. So far, just regular oil change and nothing more. 

Been itching to change car (4th year of ownership now) but can't find a real good reason to dislike my current Elantra AD to change. Those minor problems highlighted above I can live with it. 

3k rpm from traffic light is still too gentle lah. Pedal all the way and nothing less!!

That said, if you do end up changing car, thoughts & prayers to whoever buys over your abused Elantra 😂

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Gizmore said:

Minor quality issues. Third-brake light bulb blown after end of first year. DRL lightbulb keep blowing (change 2-3 times). Changed the bulbs myself since it is just a few dollars rather than driving all the way to AD service center to replace. Door handle replaced by AD FOC. Air-con is weak like what most said compared to other cars but doesn't bothers me since I just lower the temperature (90% of max coolness). First year FOC servicing at AD after that done it at own workshop. So far, just regular oil change and nothing more. No issues with AD workshop. Regular servicing, drop car and wait for them to call me to collect. Same goes for repair. 

If one was to drive the car for a short period of years is ok. For my ownership of two makes, with each lasted more than a decade, I have learnt that some times care has to be taken, otherwise the losing end will still be the owner himself.

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Twich said:

Good to hear. honestly prefer the exterior styling of cerato vs cn7 avante. feel cn7 abit too flashy on outside. only shame doesnt come with power seats for passenger (very important to me partner )

7 hours ago, Ahtea said:

I guess gone were the days where Japanese marquees are known for top notch quality as well. My last Honda Civic FD (Made in Japan), within 3 years, I had 2 engine mountings replaced,2 headlights replaced as it was foggy despite the car having a low mileage (3 years about 24k). 

Current Hyundai Avante AD, within 2 years, went back to rectify the boot lever (2 times) and replaced 1 headlamp leveller switch. 

The overall QC for Hyundai has improved over the years, but i guess they are still behind the Japanese makes despite the Japanese makes also suffering from a dip in quality now. 

I do feel korean car quality is much improved. but i guess cant win the japs just yet especially for spare parts availability locally. 

6 hours ago, Gizmore said:

This honestly is a concern to me as well, the lack of power. I am also considering ALtis hybrid but the AH is just no where near as nice as the CN7 esp on the inside. 

On 2/7/2021 at 9:22 PM, Acewin said:

I drive a 2018 AD so far mileage around 70K around went to Komoco 3 times for their drive shaft issue although they rectify FOC but after a while problem still comes back. Wasting my time send to  them.

what's the drive shaft issue?

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

what's the drive shaft issue?

When you turn your steering wheel you can hear metal rubbing sound and its very irritating. 

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Acewin said:

When you turn your steering wheel you can hear metal rubbing sound and its very irritating. 

ah ok. thankfully my AD doesn't have that issue.

↡ Advertisement