OFFICIAL: Tesla Singapore Discussion

dudez7

1 hour ago, Intervuurt said:

Hi all, I'm also keen on getting a Tesla and l'm wondering whether it is better to pre-order now or wait until Tesla has a showroom in Singapore.  I tried asking in the Tesla website chat whether they would reduce the price of the car (following the cuts in US and Japan), or whether they could include certain freebies like floor mats, etc. but the response was really poor - "We can't comment if price will be reduced", and "no, we cannot include anything free".   Given the high road tax, it would be nice if they threw in 12 month road tax.  

Separately, can anyone advise what is the government's rationale for charging such high road tax for EV cars?  Surely it would make more sense to lower the road tax to encourage more EV rather than increase it!  Am I missing something here?

P.S. if anyone has booked the Tesla, do PM me so I can find out more from you.  Thanks.

Their rationale is they are losing the petrol tax so of course must claw back the lost tax from you. It’s never about being environment friendly la.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Their rationale is they are losing the petrol tax so of course must claw back the lost tax from you. It’s never about being environment friendly la.

A certain build-in mileage has been included in that road tax calculation.

That mileage makes low mileage user stays away from EV or Diesel.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, velocity- said:

Hi, if you are really keen and certain you want the car, do book it. you can always collect at a later date or just lose the $150 order fee. If you look at the cost breakdown, the 12 month road tax is included in the purchase price. If you take the performance model, floor mats are included in the purchase. It is true they cannot comment on the future pricing and model availability. however the sales advisor i spoke to mentioned that they have no fixed date on the physical showroom yet. and once it is launched, they expect a very long line for a test drive and are unsure about the future eta. Also, with a demand in orders, coe could go up causing the cars to be more expensive. 

I am also in the camp that feels the goverment should charge lower road tax for EVs but clearly they have a different approach. since no fuel is used and there is a loss of fuel revenue, the ev taxes should remain to offset the lost revenue. subsidising ev road tax will be akin to subsidising car ownership which is not in line with the car lite policies we have. If u ask me, all evs should have a fixed road tax since there is 0 tailpipe emissions. 

I have booked mine and if you have any questions pm me and I'll try to help.

hi, may i know how does the 150 order fee work?? 

5 hours ago, velocity- said:

Hi, if you are really keen and certain you want the car, do book it. you can always collect at a later date or just lose the $150 order fee. If you look at the cost breakdown, the 12 month road tax is included in the purchase price. If you take the performance model, floor mats are included in the purchase. It is true they cannot comment on the future pricing and model availability. however the sales advisor i spoke to mentioned that they have no fixed date on the physical showroom yet. and once it is launched, they expect a very long line for a test drive and are unsure about the future eta. Also, with a demand in orders, coe could go up causing the cars to be more expensive. 

I am also in the camp that feels the goverment should charge lower road tax for EVs but clearly they have a different approach. since no fuel is used and there is a loss of fuel revenue, the ev taxes should remain to offset the lost revenue. subsidising ev road tax will be akin to subsidising car ownership which is not in line with the car lite policies we have. If u ask me, all evs should have a fixed road tax since there is 0 tailpipe emissions. 

Hi bro, how to speak to sales adviser?

3 hours ago, villan said:

hi, may i know how does the 150 order fee work?? 

Take it as a booking fee. Book and the car should be mid 2021 eta now. 

2 hours ago, Tedlhw said:

they called me 

10 hours ago, Tedlhw said:

go to tesla website and start a chat. in that chat, make a request for an Advisor to return your call.

• Praise 1

16 hours ago, velocity- said:

im interested to know how to address the charging issue.. rent from bluesg? how long n how much does it cost for 1 full charge? 

33 minutes ago, Robin said:

im interested to know how to address the charging issue.. rent from bluesg? how long n how much does it cost for 1 full charge? 

Bluesg is one dollar per hour for first three hours then two for the subsequent hours.

charging the best is to charge at home or ur workplace. 20 cents per kWh. Means one full charge is $10 dollars. 50kwh (standard range). Realistically it should bring u 300-350km. 

if u don’t have ur own charger, can charge at sp stations. 37cents/kWh  for ac charging and 50 cents/kWh  for dc charging. Or shell 55cents / kWh.

23 minutes ago, velocity- said:

Bluesg is one dollar per hour for first three hours then two for the subsequent hours.

charging the best is to charge at home or ur workplace. 20 cents per kWh. Means one full charge is $10 dollars. 50kwh (standard range). Realistically it should bring u 300-350km. 

if u don’t have ur own charger, can charge at sp stations. 37cents/kWh  for ac charging and 50 cents/kWh  for dc charging. Or shell 55cents / kWh.

Add on to your post:

The location of SP Power charging station is available on its website.

For Shell, only certain petrol station has charging facility.

For EV, it is best to charge it daily (if you have a home charger) or at 50% point.

26 minutes ago, velocity- said:

besides price difference, what are the difference between the different charging type?

meaning AC Charging Vs DC charging Vs 50KW charging? 

18 hours ago, Intervuurt said:

Separately, can anyone advise what is the government's rationale for charging such high road tax for EV cars?  Surely it would make more sense to lower the road tax to encourage more EV rather than increase it!  Am I missing something here?

Sing it with me: "CAR-LITE".

EV is many things that ICE is not, but both are still vehicles taking up space on the roads.

24 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Sing it with me: "CAR-LITE".

EV is many things that ICE is not, but both are still vehicles taking up space on the roads.

so where is the CAR-LITE...basically EV replacing ICE - we still have the same number of cars on the road right. Will you give up driving? [laugh] 

if the G is serious on the meaning of "CAR-LITE" (Or maybe my understanding of the meaning by G) - to deter pple from buying car would be high cost and also maybe a full tank will cost a full $300 bucks and for EV a pop will be in the range of a few hundred as well....then maybe...you and I will see "CAR-LITE" ….[laugh]

2 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

so where is the CAR-LITE...basically EV replacing ICE - we still have the same number of cars on the road right. Will you give up driving? [laugh] 

if the G is serious on the meaning of "CAR-LITE" (Or maybe my understanding of the meaning by G) - to deter pple from buying car would be high cost and also maybe a full tank will cost a full $300 bucks and for EV a pop will be in the range of a few hundred as well....then maybe...you and I will see "CAR-LITE" ….[laugh]

COE growth has reduced from positve to ZERO.

Looking at car population for 2020.  It has not dropped.

I expect COE on NEGATIVE growth in 2021

1 hour ago, RH1667 said:

besides price difference, what are the difference between the different charging type?

meaning AC Charging Vs DC charging Vs 50KW charging? 

Speed. Sp ac charging has 43kw. But the standard range is limited to 7.2kw and the perfomance is limited to 11kw. Most evs are limited to 11kw currently. This will take around 7-8 hours charging via ac for both model 3s from 0-100.

Only the Taycan with an upgraded 22kw ac charger (6k costs) apparently can charge at 22kw. And the Renault zoe

dc on the other hand is fast charge. Means you can cramp in 50kwh in one hour of charging. However please not that with all dc fast charge, the charge slows significantly after 80% to protect the battery

Edited by velocity-
  • Praise 1

19 hours ago, velocity- said:

Thanks bro.  I have sent you a PM with some queries.  I like the transparency on the Tesla purchase website - the lack of transparency by the G on the road tax issue is perplexing.  Hopefully they can explain themselves rather than just impose the tax and leave everyone to assume that they are just being greedy. 

28 minutes ago, Spidey10 said:

Don't underestimate our scholars hor. The idea is to encourage people to give up cars, via squeezing up the costs (think of boiling a frog in water). If people don't give up their cars or are slow to react to the above encouragement, car-lite will be slow to achieve. But in the slow crawl towards car-lite, G can collect more and more revenue. Beautiful masterstroke.

In summary, G is more serious about car-lite than you or I might think, but the population is not yet serious about it. So why not collect more revenue while waiting for the population to change its mindset?

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1