OFFICIAL: Tesla Singapore Discussion

dudez7

7 hours ago, Classic900 said:

I'm tempted to get a model 3 but I'm really worried.. maybe these are old videos, and they have improved battery fire safety?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuYxFBHsiQ

I would be more worried about Hyundai evs catching fire. Look at the latest kona recall. Haven’t really seen much news or model 3 fires. Other than an old one and Shanghai one.

7 hours ago, Freeder said:

Combustion car also kanna fires nowadays...

Why must only Tesla u worry abt batt fire safety?

To me, Hybrid cars are more dangerous ..

Precisely. Hybrid cars have a lithium ion pack and fuel. That’s like double the complexity and double the opportunity for things to go ablaze.

↡ Advertisement

7 hours ago, Heartlander said:

As professionals we tend to convince ourselves with measures in place that something is safe but as consumers we tends to look at real life performance to derive conclusions. 

The fact about general petrol cars from reputable jap and conti makers are:

- the cars will not spontaneously burst into flame when parking or driving when cars are at stock condition

- when got into any accident, the cars are not likely to burst into flames without any modification. 

- the cars will not burst into flame while refuelling at petrol stations, unless some idioxx try to light a cigarette nearby

I prefer to get cars like that.

But I definitely would not rule out getting EVs in future, as I have learnt never to say never. Like right now I am seriously looking at Camry Hybrid, which I would not be considering before. It has a relatively small battery onboard but I have not manage to see a fire report of it. Only came across a recall in 2018 affecting fuel lines but not specific to battery per se which can affect any petrol cars also. Anyway to each his own.

I also haven’t seen a model 3 catch fire on its own while using supercharger or an approved charging setup. The other fires I see are the cause of accidents and it’s more of the older model s.

that being said. Camry hybrid is a good car and I have a colleague who just bought one. Good fc, 20km/l easily and 10.5k depre. However like someone said hybrids aren’t safe too. See the recent news a ioniq hybrid taxi caught fire in a carpark. 

2 hours ago, velocity- said:

Precisely. Hybrid cars have a lithium ion pack and fuel. That’s like double the complexity and double the opportunity for things to go ablaze.

I think this isn't a fair statement at the construction of EVs and hybrid chassis is very different. Even if hybrids run on dual setup, the batteries are a lot smaller and are usually better insulated during accidents. How many cases of Toyota hybrid fires do u read of going by the more than 20 years of its hybrid history vs the last few years of EVs?

This was taken from a research paper on car fires involving EVs. It's certainly important for the government to look into this as EVs become more mainstream.

IMG_20210228_223351.jpg

IMG_20210228_223455.jpg

Guys

anyone know if tesla provide charging point if stay in HDB or condo? what is the cost involve?  also for a standard model, what is the charging time?  i presumably need to charge once a week - that what i did to refill for my current ICE vehicle.  

9 minutes ago, Wheelslover said:

Guys

anyone know if tesla provide charging point if stay in HDB or condo? what is the cost involve?  also for a standard model, what is the charging time?  i presumably need to charge once a week - that what i did to refill for my current ICE vehicle.  

Based on the 2020 model, EPA range is 400km (250 miles).

Charging time is 20 mins on supercharger from 0% - 80%.

Unlike ICE, it has regen brake.  If Regen brake is used aggressively, it might go beyond 400km.

In addition, if you charge from 50% to 80% using a supercharger, it is likely to need 5mins only.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Has anyone obtained a quote for insurance on a Tesla?  I just called a few insurers and was told they don't offer insurance for EV cars yet.  AIG is one of them lol.   

Neutral Newbie

Do you guys think Tesla coming to SG will be a game changer for the local car market? With the performance range at a Mercedes E-class/5 series price point, but with all the new Tesla tech + 3.5 secs century sprint(whew, salivating just thinking about it), I'm wondering if the local ADs will adjust their prices to be more competitive. 

• Praise 1

Definitely a game changer for us and hopefully give those premium brands a run for the money with those lower margins too.

We have been carrots chopped for far too long with all that exorbitant servicing packages and out of the world margins.

Time to also punish the petrol cartels for exploiting us with those higher than supposed price increments.

I suppose we will see more EVs in time to come, not only from Tesla, now with all the rebates from the government.

• Praise 4

On 3/1/2021 at 6:16 PM, AlexSim said:

Do you guys think Tesla coming to SG will be a game changer for the local car market? With the performance range at a Mercedes E-class/5 series price point, but with all the new Tesla tech + 3.5 secs century sprint(whew, salivating just thinking about it), I'm wondering if the local ADs will adjust their prices to be more competitive. 

to be honest. i think it will make PA, C&C and PML worried. It competes directly with the 318, c180 and a4 for 30-40k less and provide better performance. Let's see by q3-q4 when the first batch of teslas are on the road if it affects the compact executive segment by the big 3 germans. 

If the big 3 are losing out and they drop the margins for the compact segment will be good coz we will see a 160-180k priced c180,318 and a4.

Change will come inevitably because most manufcatures will move to a direct sale model like tesla wiping out the middleman. Volvo just announce by 2030 it will only sell direct. 

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie
2 minutes ago, velocity- said:

to be honest. i think it will make PA, C&C and PML worried. It competes directly with the 318, c180 and a4 for 30-40k less and provide better performance. Let's see by q3-q4 when the first batch of teslas are on the road if it affects the compact executive segment by the big 3 germans. 

If the big 3 are losing out and they drop the margins for the compact segment will be good coz we will see a 160-180k priced c180,318 and a4.

Change will come inevitably because most manufcatures will move to a direct sale model like tesla wiping out the middleman. Volvo just announce by 2030 it will only sell direct. 

Change is so much needed in Singapore with the crazy car taxes and COE cost.  We really don't need ADs adding their ridiculous margins to further increase the cost of car ownership.  (Imagine an affordable Audi e-tron!)  

• Praise 1

55 minutes ago, velocity- said:

BMW 318 with ARF of $50k sells for $208k

Tesla Model 3 (19" wheel, white interior & AP) with ARF of $52k sells for $197k.

It will be an interesting comparison.

(edited)
On 3/1/2021 at 6:16 PM, AlexSim said:

For Tesla, the performance is definitely there. However, the interior (other than the giant central display) still has a lot of catching up to Merc/BMW/Audi.

I sat in a Model S a few years back and there were a lot of hard plastics and the interior looked bare comparatively

Edited by Mm63

Just now, Fcw75 said:

A lot of people here are badge whores and it’s hard to change their perception.

BMW badge more atas than Tesla le

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

BMW badge more atas than Tesla le

Yes that’s my point. BMW and Merc badge more atas. 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Not sure that it will be that easy to drop pricing. The AD's already have fixed cost ( Whether these cost are justified is a different story ). So my prediction is that things will not dramatically change unless they see a big dent in sales. 

With that said, I do not think it makes sense to include the price of AP when doing comparisons as that is a 27K option that some people will not want ( Just like not everyone would spec adaptive suspension on the BMW ).

-C

6 hours ago, Intervuurt said:

Change is so much needed in Singapore with the crazy car taxes and COE cost.  We really don't need ADs adding their ridiculous margins to further increase the cost of car ownership.  (Imagine an affordable Audi e-tron!)  

Precisely. Look at the omv. Registered cost will be around 200k. That’s more than 100k markup. Excluding finance comms. Only in Singapore I guess we have the dealer margin more than the car itself. I hope the model Y comes in at a higher omv and at 200k selling price for the long range or base. This will put the Etron, EQC and IX3 in unfavourable pricing range and drive them out of business eventually. 

Spoiler

8EA4D25F-DCDA-467A-8707-9415C096878A.jpeg

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Mm63 said:

For Tesla, the performance is definitely there. However, the interior (other than the giant central display) still has a lot of catching up to Merc/BMW/Audi.

I sat in a Model S a few years back and there were a lot of hard plastics and the interior looked bare comparatively

Yes. They lack more complex dashboard shapes, ambient lighting and other gimmicky stuff. But the ui and the app integration are years ahead. Model 3 changed a lot thought, the vegan leather soft touch has expanded quite bit.

54 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

A lot of people here are badge whores and it’s hard to change their perception.

sadly we sinkies love our badge. I however  am ridding my bimmer and merc. I don’t want to be getting rid of them when the resale becomes nothing because of the ev movement. Or when petrol hits 5 dollars a litre. 

↡ Advertisement