OFFICIAL: Tesla Singapore Discussion

dudez7

42 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

Don't think anyone will be hating Tesla, given the prices offered here 😁

Price it low enough against its competition and people will come, regardless. 

Currently, BMW i3 will be hard to sell @ $210k.

Maybe 330e still go chance at $250k

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

17 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Currently, BMW i3 will be hard to sell @ $210k.

Maybe 330e still go chance at $250k

Tesla offers a new n exciting driving sexperience ..

How to compare ?

BMW need to up the ante if they want to capture the EV mkt..

• Praise 3

2 minutes ago, Freeder said:

Tesla offers a new n exciting driving sexperience ..

How to compare ?

BMW need to up the ante if they want to capture the EV mkt..

BMW 330e ARF is $53k with RRP of $250k.

Tesla Model 3 (with 19” wheel, full white interior & auto pilot) ARF is $52k with RRP of $197k (assumes COE $49k).

Moreover, standard range plus has more HP.

40 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

BMW 330e ARF is $53k with RRP of $250k.

Tesla Model 3 (with 19” wheel, full white interior & auto pilot) ARF is $52k with RRP of $197k (assumes COE $49k).

Moreover, standard range plus has more HP.

Or you could have a model 3 performance in white and no options for around that price. Arf also 50+ K. After rebate lol. 

• Praise 2

20 hours ago, velocity- said:

With all due respect, if you are an electrical engineer, you will know that you can’t really install a supercharger in your house. Realistically the most we can install in our houses are 3phase 32 ampere chargers without doing additional supply. With the safety standards, u need an isolator along with a emergency stop switch. Evse wall boxes and cables also manage the cable and battery temps and the car will shut off way before anything gets out of hand! 

If you look at nhtsa safety ratings. Tesla model 3 is a top pick. The standard range that will be the majority of Tesla’s sold here will be the LFP pack which is similar in composition to the BYD blade batteries. These lfp batteries are a lot less susceptible to thermal runaways and fire with punctures. Anyway with an EV, the crumple zones are bigger and the chance of flipping is lower due to the cg being at the bottom. 

The model S article u share lawsuit is still not settled. Let’s wait for the outcome. Anyway the model 3 has physical door handles and there is an emergency release latch inside. Any vehicle that has electric door handles are susceptible to this issue. 

what about other combustion cars that had inherent fire issues? Ferrari 458, gt3 etc.

even kona recently has a battery recall because of the amount of times the car has caught fire. Which is definitely more than the model 3.

if you are really worried about car fires. Don’t even drive a petrol car. The best is a diesel because it’s really hard to catch fire. Gasoline lines that break off in an accident and touch hot surfaces like engine block, or the hot exhaust is a bigger recipe for disaster.

As professionals we tend to convince ourselves with measures in place that something is safe but as consumers we tends to look at real life performance to derive conclusions. 

The fact about general petrol cars from reputable jap and conti makers are:

- the cars will not spontaneously burst into flame when parking or driving when cars are at stock condition

- when got into any accident, the cars are not likely to burst into flames without any modification. 

- the cars will not burst into flame while refuelling at petrol stations, unless some idioxx try to light a cigarette nearby

I prefer to get cars like that.

But I definitely would not rule out getting EVs in future, as I have learnt never to say never. Like right now I am seriously looking at Camry Hybrid, which I would not be considering before. It has a relatively small battery onboard but I have not manage to see a fire report of it. Only came across a recall in 2018 affecting fuel lines but not specific to battery per se which can affect any petrol cars also. Anyway to each his own.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Classic900 said:

I'm tempted to get a model 3 but I'm really worried.. maybe these are old videos, and they have improved battery fire safety?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuYxFBHsiQ

Boeing 787 Dreamliner also had battery fire problems in the early years, but it seems like they can find a solution to minimize fire risks as I have not heard of any recent incidents. 

For Tesla Model 3, a Taiwan reviewer mentioned that the sentry mode (which can be switched off) consumes 7% of battery power every day (don't know how true that is), but it may mean that the battery pack may be working 24/7 even if the car is not driven.

The car will lose around 2-3% overnight even without sentry mode. It's basically just like your phone on standby.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Classic900 said:

Boeing 787 Dreamliner also had battery fire problems in the early years, but it seems like they can find a solution to minimize fire risks as I have not heard of any recent incidents. 

For Tesla Model 3, a Taiwan reviewer mentioned that the sentry mode (which can be switched off) consumes 7% of battery power every day (don't know how true that is), but it may mean that the battery pack may be working 24/7 even if the car is not driven.

You can off Sentry mode

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Vid said:

The car will lose around 2-3% overnight even without sentry mode. It's basically just like your phone on standby.

My current EV does not lose any appreciable battery power overnight, maybe because there is nothing very active going on (car camera stops when ignition off, and I don't lock my car).

7% sounds like some current draw, I am thinking more about the battery pack being still quite active at night with the sentry mode on, and if really the unfortunate happens, my house will be badly affected, maybe I am just being paranoid but really can't help it.. 

9 minutes ago, Classic900 said:

My current EV does not lose any appreciable battery power overnight, maybe because there is nothing very active going on (car camera stops when ignition off, and I don't lock my car).

7% sounds like some current draw, I am thinking more about the battery pack being still quite active at night with the sentry mode on, and if really the unfortunate happens, my house will be badly affected, maybe I am just being paranoid but really can't help it.. 

Your car Tesla? Because Tesla cars will lose a little bit of power when parked for a prolonged time.

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Vid said:

Your car Tesla? Because Tesla cars will lose a little bit of power when parked for a prolonged time.

Ioniq EV. Am considering changing my other petrol car for a Tesla.

• Praise 2

On 2/27/2021 at 11:21 AM, Heartlander said:

I have been an electrical engineer for many years, and that explains why I am still skeptical about the situation. So many incidents still happen despite all the safety standards and more that Tesla is claiming to be conforming. It simply means it is still not able to tame the danger completely posed by the batteries despite the technology advancement. The fire is rare, but still happen nonetheless. I have read in a article I attached that the incidences happened outside the parameters set by the testing standards, meaning the standards have not been rigorous enough for real life use. So quoting conformance to all these safety standards are BS to me as what good are they if they do not cover the limits. 

I am looking around for a replacement car and had been considering the Tesla 3 among a few other contenders, but now I am striking it off my list as nobody can guarantee that a siao lang will not hit my car from behind on the road one day and I do not want to have any possibility of being trapped in the car and burnt, or keep worrying when the charging process will burn the car or even my house if I am to install the supercharger. I will not be able to forgive myself if such rare events happen because of my positive outlook despite all the recent articles warning about the danger.  

There are always some who like to live dangerously. So whoever want to buy, please still go ahead and get one and enjoy. I would prefer to put this off for another 5 to 10 years till the situation is clear over here. 

Sorry a bit blunt,I don't know you truly understand electrical design or not. I find you are over paranoid.

Well I am an  EE engineer , I am confident in the EE design work that I am doing and understand design risk. 

I am a bit surprised by   the at home charging risk comment, if you worry this, the same charging on phone/tablet could have the same risk.

Tesla is not China 山寨廠sancai design house that ignore safety like those China  e-bike charging design.

If you have ever involved in lithium ion battery circuit design, ion battery safety test , cell temperature monitoring, mechanical fuse override, strict current charging cutoff, cells load balancing.... You should have confidence in this.

For the case of crashing from back, your worry may be valid if the large puncturing were to happen.

You may want to see TESLA chassis with battery single entity design. Quite interesting.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7