5 dead in Tanjong Pagar speeding accident

Karoon

9 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Yeah i  know ... Just saying that as my experience of being a passenger in the car of someone speeding.

The girl is actually filming the thing ... it's pretty much all volunteers to be in the vehicle.
When i first watched the video, i thought she was someone drunk squatting on the road [laugh]

Of coz. The gf also want to haolian to her friends that her bf own BMW and drive v fast.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

yup. Faded over time liao, so not that obvious.

But i still remember the umbrellas. And i drove past when a priest was conducting rites with the family.
So every time i see that scorch marks, i still recall.

Just few hundred meters down, 1 of those ahbeng evo- wannabes lancer buang into the concrete wall of the TPE exit and caught fire also. So there's another set of scorch marks there along the wall. That one i bo hue [laugh]

Yes, I still drive over that scorch marks from time to time too. 😅

wealth, girls, ego, young (and dangerous) and social media... the 5 important ingredients for a tragedy/disaster 

sigh...

• Praise 1

Saw the remains of the car being towed away, on TV news just now.

Reminds me of scenes from the movie "Fury", what happens when tanks get toasted by anti-tank rounds .....crispy crew.

Twenty somethings might now have maturity for such cars. Good thing it was such an unearthly time and no other casualties.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, Sosaria said:

Saw the remains of the car being towed away, on TV news just now.

Reminds me of scenes from the movie "Fury", what happens when tanks get toasted by anti-tank rounds .....crispy crew.

At first i was wondering how can 5 people perish in a car fire. Cos either the impact was super massive (that's before i found out what speed this happened at), everyone all unconscious or severely injured, sounds not plausible that not 1 escaped 

But then in reddit, they pointed out its a 2 door coupe, that if the front passenger/driver are all badly injured and can't move or the tilting seats/doors are spoilt, the rear passengers who maybe conscious and wanting to escape cannot do so cos they are stuck  [crazy]

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, Jusnel said:

Of coz. The gf also want to haolian to her friends that her bf own BMW and drive v fast.

Correct, thats sound 100% like it.

things we do in our late teens early 20s, these bunch still do in their late 20s.  Cannot grow up. Feet not planted firmly on ground. 

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Macrosszero said:

Sorry, but what talent? I'm not seeing it right now. 

In their 20s and are co-owners of businesses. As for the driver, he must be a successful financial advisor to be able to afford a used M4 which costs more than $200,000, or an annual depreciation of $35,000. That's the same league as those renewed COE Ferrari & Lamborghini.

If the driver is not talented, he wouldn't be so rich and successful at such a young age, to own and upkeep such an expensive car.

How many of us, at 29 year old, have the financial capability to own such an expensive car? 

Edited by Vinceng
  • Praise 3

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

At first i was wondering how can 5 people perish in a car fire. Cos either the impact was super massive (that's before i found out what speed this happened at), everyone all unconscious or severely injured, sounds not plausible that not 1 escaped 

But then in reddit, they pointed out its a 2 door coupe, that if the front passenger/driver are all badly injured and can't move or the tilting seats/doors are spoilt, the rear passengers who maybe conscious and wanting to escape cannot do so cos they are stuck  [crazy]

Scary isn't it? Literally mean burned to death.

Throttle did mentioned something that strike me. "if not today than tomorrow".  Seeing their entice in the road doubt anyone can knock sense into them.

• Praise 4

Being able to purchase a BMW below age of 30 by using their own income is quite a feat in Singapore, as cars are very expensive here.  They probably just wanted to have a night of thrill but they did not realise the danger.  If they really own a restaurant nearby, they probably felt that it was convenient locality to test the power of the car.

The car braked quite early in the bend from the video and there were no visible major impact destructions to the properties or car.  Hence, the driver most likely had brought the speed down reasonably but insufficient to cause some fuel tank (methanol or petrol) to break upon impact.  The fire appears to be the main factor that killed the victims.

It might be useful if the government sets up a circuit where drivers can test the limit of their cars in a safer environment.  Before the lockdown, I think many sports car owners drive to Malaysia and the circuits to enjoy the thrills.  Many years ago, I recall Singapore was on the verge of setting up one.  Perhaps, that could be re-looked.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

Devastating loss of 5 talented young lives. 

IMG-20210213-WA0013.jpg

Front looks ok. The impact probably was on the left side from images I saw. Not sure how the explosion/fire started from the side crash?

Edited by Weez911

38 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

In their 20s and are co-owners of businesses. As for the driver, he must be a successful financial advisor to be able to afford a used M4 which costs more than $200,000, or an annual depreciation of $35,000. That's the same league as those renewed COE Ferrari & Lamborghini.

If the driver is not talented, he wouldn't be so rich and successful at such a young age, to own and upkeep such an expensive car.

How many of us, at 29 year old, have the financial capability to own such an expensive car? 

Sorry, the driver is the only fellow to have bought the car. The rest are passengers and I don't know their financial means - and the driver could run the gamut of having paid full cash for the car or loaned up to the hilt for it, I don't want to speculate either way. 

So to me, he could have been either talented or financially stupid. I hesitate to say he had more money than sense, but I can say he had more buying power than sense. 

But either way, he's dead, burned to a crisp.

Edited by Macrosszero
  • Praise 5

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

So methanol can be used for racing (i mean actual racing, not this guy's version)? Or used for cooling in water?

https://www.fuelfreedom.org/hot-rod-explains-race-car-drivers-love-methanol/

it can be used as a fuel but in this region, it's more commonly an additive sprayed into the air intake (usually post-intercooler in a forced-induction car) for combustion chamber cooling and to raise the net octane number. This reduces pre-detonation and allows more power if tuned accordingly. There are complete kits with tank, pump, nozzle and hose for such purposes.

edit - the tank can be filled with pure water, pure methanol or a mix. A water-meth mix is probably less combustable than petrol but that doesn't consider the possibility of leak fm the hoses and/or tank.

Edited by Shibadog
add more info
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

Its intentional the way i look at it.

not your speeding on the way home misadventure 

all passengers got into the car for the thrill of going fast in one of their "cool" friends car.  Driver was showing off using Tanjong pagar area as a circuit

the car was going no where and had no purpose on the road except to go fast.  Its not as if they were hitching a ride home. The girlfren was filming the speeding scene. 

keh kiang is intentional

Then the 4 passengers kam lan, who would squeeze 4 + driver inside a m4?? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1