5 dead in Tanjong Pagar speeding accident

Karoon

1 hour ago, Lethalstrike said:

Should have modded meth injection for their brains. All 5 of them are young adults in their mid to late twenties but still don't know how to think. 

Anyway, speaking of car workshop stories, it reminded of a car workshop a damn long time ago which suggested to me that they can drop in a 1.8 litre B18 to replace my 1.6 B16. The head mechanic even said LTA won't know as visually both blocks looked the same. This was in the 90s era when I was still dabbling around with ah beng VTECs 😂

Like 'turn' a Lancer into an EVO?

:=B:

• Haha! 1

59 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

A few years back we have dinner with a senior Porsche engineer* in Munich and he advised car buyers to keep their car in stock condition because all the manufacturers spent billions developing their cars in a perfect balance / harmony. The drivetrain is developed alongside the brakes, aero, gearbox, etc for the most optimal performance. When you mod 1 area, the rest of the car is not "balanced" anymore, he said. I think it makes sense. I know many enthusiasts love to mod their cars but just be mindful of the risks involved.

*Paiseh can't remember his name. It was organised by a pilot friend who fly there regularly and who also paid to race on the Nürburgring. He knew the engineer during one of his track days and they become friends.

When I went up to the Ring myself for my M4 trackday, we had dinner with various people from BMW. One of them was a senior engineer with M division. When I told him a lot of the F10 M5s in Singapore were burning oil, he claimed he'd never heard of the issue. Even though you ask ten F10 M5 owners here and at least five would report having to top up oil between services. I myself had this issue when I owned the car. 

In that example, it may be that he didn't know the stress caused by the local conditions, which may have been a factor (doubt it cos the issue is also mentioned frequently on international M5 forums). But I think it's more likely he was just singing the party line. These guys don't want to let their own company down while their paychecks are still being signed by that company (and often, not even after). 

The same may hold true of the Porsche engineer. Cannot say the car manufacturers are building suboptimally, even though it is well-known they detune to allow for fuel quality, climate variation, emissions standards, etc. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 9

12 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

When I went up to the Ring myself for my M4 trackday, we had dinner with various people from BMW. One of them was a senior engineer with M division. When I told him a lot of the F10 M5s in Singapore were burning oil, he claimed he'd never heard of the issue. Even though you ask ten F10 M5 owners here and at least five would report having to top up oil between services. I myself had this issue when I owned the car. 

In that example, it may be that he didn't know the stress caused by the local conditions, which may have been a factor (doubt it cos the issue is also mentioned frequently on international M5 forums). But I think it's more likely he was just singing the party line. These guys don't want to let their own company down while their paychecks are still being signed by that company (and often, not even after). 

The same may hold true of the Porsche engineer. Cannot say the car manufacturers are building suboptimally, even though it is well-known they detune to allow for fuel quality, climate variation, emissions standards, etc. 

Our climate is not that harsh la.

In Temperate country, summer can be more than 40 deg with 80% or more humidity.

1 of the possible reasons for oil loss could be short driving distance after cold start.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 3

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Car insurer will wait for police report.

Insurer will find way to reject the claim.

For sure.

It's either drunk driving or illegal mod.

These 2, confirmed sure have in this case 

3 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Won’t pay for the car, but 3rd party should still cover I think. 
looks like insurance for under 30 will skyrocket if tied to a performance car. No 5k no talk? 

If drunk driving is involved, insurer won't pay a cent...... 

In this case, at 530am coming out from some Korean restaurant,  the driver is sober? 

18 hours ago, RadX said:

I know her actually…

wilL update if I hear news 

past report of her going home not true.. but in v critical condition 

Bro, no update anywhere about 胡秀慧, how's her condition?

Just now, Windwaver said:

Bro, no update anywhere about 胡秀慧, how's her condition?

With 80% of her body burned, minimum 6 months in hospital.

She has to stay in germ free environment till her skin heals.

Nothing to update other than staying in SGH Burn Trauma Centre

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

With 80% of her body burned, minimum 6 months in hospital.

She has to stay in germ free environment till her skin heals.

Nothing to update other than staying in SGH Burn Trauma Centre

Baux score

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Purposedetermine mortality due to burns

The Baux score is a system used to predict the chance of mortality due to burns.[1] The score is an index which takes into account the correlative and causal relationship between mortality and factors including advancing age, burn size, the presence of inhalational injury.[2] Studies have shown that the Baux score is highly correlative with length of stay in hospital due to burns and final outcome.[3]

Original method[edit]

The original Baux score was the addition of two factors, the first being the total body surface area affected by burning (usually estimated using the Wallace rule of nines, or calculated using a Lund and Browder chart) and the second being the age of the patient.

The score is expressed as:

{\displaystyle {\text{Baux score}}={\text{(percent body surface burned)}}+{\text{(patient's age)}}}

The score is a comparative indicator of burn severity, with a score over 140 considered as being unsurvivable, depending on the available treatment resources.

Modified method[edit]

Research demonstrated that with improvements in medical care rendered the original method too pessimistic in its outcome prediction. This resulted in the publication of a modified methodology which took into account the effect of inhalation injury. It was found that inhalation injury resulted in an increase of around 17 on the Baux score, and this addition means that a patient with inhalation injury would have their score calculated by body area affected + age of patient + 17.[1] Recent analysis of mortality in burn units worldwide has shown that for well performing units the LD50 (the point at which 50% of patients would be expected to die) for major burns has significantly improved and the best units have a modified Baux score of 130-140. This means that all burns in children (except 100% TBSA full-thickness burns) should be considered survivable injuries and actively treated.[4]

Efficacy[edit]

Studies have shown Baux score to be effective in measuring comparative severity of burn injuries, and in predicting the prognosis for the patient. The modified version, which includes inhalation injuries, is more accurate than the original method, although neither method is as accurate as more complex calculated scores using advanced computer modelling.[1]

The Baux score has been shown to be effective in predicting outcome in 87% of presenting patients aged 60 and above.[5]

So the Baux score for the lady is, 
80 + high 20s = <110
Given it's SGH burns center, she should survive. But it will be many months for recovery. And she's malaysian. She's going to end up with a massive hospital bill, even no matter how much they waive off some of the charge for humanitarian reasons.

Do car insurers pay out for people trying to rescue people from their insured burning car? I don't think so.

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

So the Baux score for the lady is, 
80 + high 20s = <110
Given it's SGH burns center, she should survive. But it will be many months for recovery. And she's malaysian. She's going to end up with a massive hospital bill, even no matter how much they waive off some of the charge for humanitarian reasons.

Do car insurers pay out for people trying to rescue people from their insured burning car? I don't think so.

So ultimately what does that mean in the end? You know I know. 

3 hours ago, Albeniz said:

If I have extra money to mod my car, I will get bigger brakes and better tyres.

I will mod it to go safer and slower, not the other way around.

An excellent comment! Let me ask you all - how many of you here can quote the type of tyres and size of tyres you have on at the moment? TBH - the moment I change my tyres ... I forget the type and size I have on BUT that is the only thing that keeps us on the road. Don't scrimp on tyres and please do your research.

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Yewheng said:

There will always have people who will think, ai ya it's the driver is lousy, so ya it will not happen to me, ai ya he is just sway and I am not so unlucky one la.. and continue to drive fast and furious, chiong on narrow road and etc..

So no matter what education and or video taking or what also no use, as these people will just find excuse to themselves that it will not happen to them. 

Bro ... you are quite right! The younger the driver the less experience. I remember when I was younger and I used to drive a little faster in the UK in my trusty old Proton Saga (a long time ago and it was all I could afford!) ... it did not take much speed for the car to lose control (I cannot wait for the Proton jokes ...). I can still remember the cold sweat and palpitations. I swore never to do it again. I am now much older with family and kid. I plead with one and all ... it is NOT worth the thrill or being tardy for that 10 minutes. 

• Praise 1

21 minutes ago, Mcscot said:

An excellent comment! Let me ask you all - how many of you here can quote the type of tyres and size of tyres you have on at the moment? TBH - the moment I change my tyres ... I forget the type and size I have on BUT that is the only thing that keeps us on the road. Don't scrimp on tyres and please do your research.

Challenge accepted:

Brand: Pirelli Pzero (PZ4)

Load/Speed index: 92Y XL 

Size: 225/40R18 

running 38 psi based on recommendation by pirelli for my car and load conditions

rotated front to rear every 10k km

Did this cos im bored, but yes, understand your point here 🤣

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 7

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

I was posting maybe they are experiencing Adolescent Recklessness in the other thread then I see their age.....probably not.

I read somewhere they have circled a few rounds prior to the crash.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1