5 dead in Tanjong Pagar speeding accident

Karoon

3 minutes ago, Kopites said:

On youtube now. Too late 

Super fast for video to circulate once posted on web. Cannot be saved. 😓

↡ Advertisement

59 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Really need to remember STOP DROP & ROLL.

Outside the shophouses I don't suppose got 'public use' fire extinguisher?

Fire extinguishers usually inside.

36 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Any modifications made to a car will alter its integrity and safety aspects.

See 01:20 in video

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/five-die-after-car-slams-into-tanjong-pagar-shophouse-on-saturday-morning

Stay safe! Don't modify your car!

I dont think we should jump into such conclusion, even stock M4 likely same outcome... if according to what we read is correct, JL never maintain his car or fix it correctly, if something spoil, cannot get OEM, buy 3rd party or mod it, better than leave it alone. Moral of story is please do your repairs..if u dont want to spend $$ for just repairs, then mod it lar....at least u get working parts (eg shock absorber no good, dont want spend $$ with nothing to show for, then mod to coilovers, better than using back the bouncy suspension and lose control of your car).

BUT if you spend money on ur mods and not enough for maintenance or repairs...then i agree, dont mod. Its always repairs first, maintenance next then mods last.

BTW, the original tyres in many new cars really cannot make it, likely cause accidents in the rain. 

• Praise 1

@Ungtiong, where's your source that the driver, Jonathan Long didn't maintain his car properly?

BTW, that's a used car, not a new one. And it's on Michelin Pilot Sports 4 

Edited by Vinceng

14 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

@Ungtiong, where's your source that the driver, Jonathan Long didn't maintain his car properly?

BTW, that's a used car, not a new one. And it's on Michelin Pilot Sports 4 

On Michelin Pilot Sports 4 is also what you deduce from the CAR MART ad which might not be the same car... but pretty true any mod to a car might alter the driving characteristic which are tested safe by the manufacturer.

Edited by Xers007

Lesson learnt, if he really mod his car, then he mod with eyes close. 

paid with his life. Nothing much to say. 

only can say, he deserved it. 29 years old still don’t know how to think. 

And for those that he brought along, they also deserve it. Just the “deserved it” not as bad as the driver. Should learn to say no when engaging in dangerous activity. 

• Dislike 2

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/tanjong-pagar-crash-victims-were-charitable-people-friend

Friend of Tanjong Pagar crash victims says three of them did volunteer work to help elderly hours before tragedy.

They loved fast cars and luxury watches, lived flashy lifestyles and were the envy of many on social media.

But the five men who were killed in the Tanjong Pagar crash also believed in helping the less fortunate.

Mr Jonathan Long, 29, was the driver of the white BMW M4 coupe that crashed into a shophouse last Saturday morning, the second day of Chinese New Year.

He died along with four others in the car - Mr Eugene Yap, 29, Mr Elvin Tan Yong Hao, 28, Mr Wilson Teo Qi Xiang, 26, and Mr Gary Wong Hong Chieh, 29.

Mr Long's girlfriend Raybe Oh Siew Huey, 26, is still in critical condition in the hospital, having suffered severe burns while trying to save her boyfriend and the others.

Speaking to The Straits Times yesterday, Mr Ethan Keng, 28, a friend of the group, revealed that just hours before the incident, some of them were packing and distributing food to the elderly. He said Mr Long, Ms Oh and Mr Tan were volunteering with charity organisation Hopes In Meals on the first day of Chinese New Year, helping to give out meals to low-income seniors living in rental flats at York Hill Estate in Tiong Bahru.

"They were charitable people, taking time out at least two or three times a year to help the elderly," said Mr Keng, an insurance agent.

"Over the past few days, many people have been saying nasty things about them, but they don't know what they were really like."

A spokesman for Hopes In Meals said: "They were very helpful and nice as volunteers... Ms Raybe Oh also helped us to pack goodie bags (for the elderly)."

Mr Keng said the group grew close over the past two years or so. "They were all self-made, and never took money from friends or family to buy the things they wanted," he said. "They didn't cheat or scam, and were nice people who cared deeply for those around them."

He added that he was closest to Mr Tan, having known him for about seven years.

"Elvin is an amazing brother, and there were times I would call him at 2am because I needed someone (to talk to) and he'll come meet me," he said. "But he was also the kind of guy who was always late for everything."

Mr Tan's wake is being held at Singapore Funeral Parlour in Tampines.

Asked what he thought of the comments and speculation on social media, Mr Keng acknowledged that the crash could have been avoided, but urged the public to empathise with the family of the victims and avoid making hurtful comments.

"Whatever they did, you know, I agree it's a stupid accident," he said. "But they have paid for it with their lives."

Mr Keng said he would miss his friend dearly.

"Rest well, Elvin, catch up with you when I see you," he said with tears in his eyes.

"This time, I'm the one who's late."

• Praise 2

Rip young ones

I only hope the initial crash knocked them out

Or at least the explosion killed them in an instance 

I hope they din have to suffer much

U paid for your foolishness with your lives but u left behind your parents suffering & in pain

It was foolish but also tragic

As a parent,我看到了很心痛

说他们活该,如果是自己的儿子和女儿你说的出吗?

• Praise 14

I think it is time to time to end the discussion,the 5 Persons already paid with their Life,anymore discussions also won't reverse the Facts & bring them back...let them RIP..

Edited by ER-3682
  • Praise 9

There is no honour hitting below the belt of the dead. A moment of foolishness cause their own death and great pain to their families. Beyond that, we don't know what sort of person they were except for those who are related to them. 

Some folks are just plain flashy with what they have but have a big heart to accommodate people of different backgrounds. If one makes a decent living and is proud of their success there really is no crime except mostly jealousy from others isn't it?

It is fair to say the families involved are in extreme grieve during such joyous period and nasty comments don't make things better. I don't think the families deserve more pain than what they already got. Not saying that people in this forum are making nasty comments but I think if we know of people who are then it's probably good to remind them to have empathy.

As a person unrelated to any of the victims, it sends chills in me to see the video of someone running into a fire to rescue those trapped. I can only imagine what she witness, hear and felt. For the other friend tailing behind in another vehicle, it's the same. Life will never be the same again. 

• Praise 11

Nobody mentioned Comfort taxi driver coming in from the opposite direction was truly lucky?

Had he drove by just a min earlier he would have been the one to kanna a flying BMW projectile head on. I'm quite sure the results would have been disastrous for him. 

All those who played or condoned the stupid game already won the ultimate stupid prize, still living or dead. Enough said. Thanks that none of the truly innocent got involved. 

• Praise 10

10 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

You know why Shakespeare is hailed as a great genius? 

Because he truly understood the essence of human nature and communicated it so eloquently through his works. 

In Julius Caesar, he wrote:

"The evil that men do lives after them;

The good is oft interred with their bones." 

This incident perfectly exemplifies this mindset. 

Spoiler

🤘

:grin:

↡ Advertisement