Extraordinary deal from Jaguar! Watch our FB Live, 8PM, 4th March 2021 (Get $10 Petrol Voucher when you register here!) Read more... ×

Turbocharged

Help! Booklice infestation going on at home. At least I suspect they're booklice after doing lots of googling and reading around. First discovered an infestation under my framed jigsaw puzzle. I've disposed the entire puzzle and Ikea frame. Did a major decluttering of my room and even shifted out of my room to another. I've decluttered at least 25 years of my life away.

All good. My room is now spacious and cleared of clutter. Till few days ago think it was around CNY period, discovered one booklice on my piano. Well if there's one, means there's more right! Over the course of the next few days after the discovery of one, I've killed many more, more than ten. They're super super tiny and differ in size, black in color. I only find them on my piano and not in other parts of the room since I shifted. The other thing that's changed is that before CNY I used a piece of cloth to cover my piano to prevent dust from accumulating on the back of it where's there's like a meshed fabric. I've since removed that cloth to allow better ventilation. I also found a couple of them inside my music book. I've killed every single one I could find. 

The current piano is brand new, just delivered in early December so I can't throw it away like I did for the puzzle. What are my options? I've opened the window to air the room. I'm also tempted to buy a fan just for the piano (on it the whole day) hoping that it will help to decrease the humidity. I've read of others repainting the walls just to get rid of the bugs but it ain't on my walls so that doesn't seem feasible for me.

• Buy a fan permanently place it on the piano
  • Buy a dehumidifier (read that it doesn't really help)
  • Moth balls?
  • Repaint my walls (but they ain't on my walls)
  • Open the windows big big (inviting other insects and more dusts)
  • Others suggested putting your infested item in microwave or freezer but that's not an option for me too.

Interestingly I was searching on Youtube for solutions and saw what a real infestation really means. [flowerface]

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
7 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Help! Booklice infestation going on at home. At least I suspect they're booklice after doing lots of googling and reading around. First discovered an infestation under my framed jigsaw puzzle. I've disposed the entire puzzle and Ikea frame. Did a major decluttering of my room and even shifted out of my room to another. I've decluttered at least 25 years of my life away.

All good. My room is now spacious and cleared of clutter. Till few days ago think it was around CNY period, discovered one booklice on my piano. Well if there's one, means there's more right! Over the course of the next few days after the discovery of one, I've killed many more, more than ten. They're super super tiny and differ in size, black in color. I only find them on my piano and not in other parts of the room since I shifted. The other thing that's changed is that before CNY I used a piece of cloth to cover my piano to prevent dust from accumulating on the back of it where's there's like a meshed fabric. I've since removed that cloth to allow better ventilation. I also found a couple of them inside my music book. I've killed every single one I could find. 

The current piano is brand new, just delivered in early December so I can't throw it away like I did for the puzzle. What are my options? I've opened the window to air the room. I'm also tempted to buy a fan just for the piano (on it the whole day) hoping that it will help to decrease the humidity. I've read of others repainting the walls just to get rid of the bugs but it ain't on my walls so that doesn't seem feasible for me.

• Moth balls?
  • Others suggested putting your infested item in microwave or freezer but that's not an option for me too.

Interestingly I was searching on Youtube for solutions and saw what a real infestation really means. [flowerface]

This is an upright piano? Just buy and put like 3 thirsty hippos inside every month? 

Thought they eaf mold? As per Google. 

Supercharged

I also have some running around but I have 2 de-humidifiers at home, going to buy 1 more for better coverage.

31 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

• Moth balls?

I used to have these at my previous house. Thought is dust then realized they are living bugs when they siam my fingers after I try to sweep them off. They like damp and dark areas and are gone after I open up the windows and blinds and keep the room windy. Lizards and spiders might help but there are usually more than they can help themselves. Lol.

Since your worried is your piano, which I assume is expensive, why not seek those pest control help?

Supersonic

For piano, a heater strip(on 24/7) and mothballs are a must have.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Tis is wat i use to keep my house/car free of little critters..

Screenshot_2021-02-18-19-13-18.thumb.jpeg.c76bea68ed3bca48e551605ec09584a6.jpegScreenshot_2021-02-18-19-13-49.thumb.jpeg.93ec231923bce626b3b180826296b16b.jpeg

• Praise 1

Supersonic (edited)

Mothballs you can use old socks to contain them and hang them in four corners, top two, bottom two. Or if you are feeling rich you can go cold storage and find the refillable and odourless type. FYI regular cheap mothball the smell can be quite overwhelming.

Edited by Watwheels

Twincharged

Don't ever use mothballs. They are quite toxic. 

Please Google and find out. 

Book lice I have never encounter but been seeing lots of silverfish lately. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
13 hours ago, Count-Bracula said:

Don't ever use mothballs. They are quite toxic. 

Please Google and find out. 

Book lice I have never encounter but been seeing lots of silverfish lately. 

Thanks for pointing that out. I have been wondering why is mothballs still widely sold in stores? 

The Monster in the Closet: Mothballs’ Link to Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma

Naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene are 2 common active ingredients used in mothballs which are potential carcinogen (i.e. cancer causing material)...

13 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Mothball and old sock combo sibeh lethal...😅

Friend, you never learn Maths ah? :D

Pos-Neg-mult-v2-2d8uctp.jpg

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Supersonic
4 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I have been wondering why is mothballs still widely sold in stores? 

The Monster in the Closet: Mothballs’ Link to Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma

Naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene are 2 common active ingredients used in mothballs which are potential carcinogen (i.e. cancer causing material)...

Friend, you never learn Maths ah? :D

Pos-Neg-mult-v2-2d8uctp.jpg

I only know minus plus minus = 2x death si gao gao 😁

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Booklice?

Don't let it get to your head.

:D

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Or sleep on the book.

Transfer the lice from the book to the head and then wash your hair.

You cannot wash a book right?

Solves the problem.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Always look on the bright side of life.

Many guys love a dirty girl.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Borrow a neighbor's dog.

Get him to sit at the piano.

Give the dog back.

After giving him a good bath with anti lice shampoo.

Can't wash the piano right?

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
15 hours ago, Lala81 said:

This is an upright piano? Just buy and put like 3 thirsty hippos inside every month? 

Thought they eaf mold? As per Google. 

No it's actually a digital piano with a cabin. I thought they eat mold too. I don't have any mold on the piano. Not even on the paper. The thing is I suspect they're booklice. But I can't ID them cos they're too tiny though some are bigger than others. Definitely not bed bugs. Bed bugs are oval looking. Going to buy thirty hippos though. How can I forget thirsty hippos!

Turbocharged
14 hours ago, Windwaver said:

I also have some running around but I have 2 de-humidifiers at home, going to buy 1 more for better coverage.

Will it work if I have just one dehumidifier blasting at the hotspot? Lol.

↡ Advertisement