High COE cars

sHy3r

Had a higher COE (~$56k) old car previously.

When COE came low (~$35k) in year 2019/2020, I quickly scrapped the old one, retrieved the remaining COE and then pumped into the new COE.

Will continue driving and think of it again in 2029.

Edited by Albeniz
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

when you buy, they say high coe high value good good. But you pay for it right?

now you sell they say coe high bad bad becos nobody wants to pay for it right?

so what did you learn from this?

Dont listen to car dealers, insurance agents, property agents ....  

when you are buying price isalways going higher, so you buy high 

when you are selling it is always going lower so you sell low

muayhahahaha😂🤣😄😃😀😁

classic lah.

Car is an expense basiclly, COE erodes with time. No such thing a which COE level is good for resale in future becos nobody knows the future.   High paper value car is good for scrap.  What car is it?  Aston Martin? Can export how much?  If its just a normal car, you get standard a few hundred dollars + paper value.  

TLDR

Listen to your wife. 

Happy wife happy life. 

33 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Drive to scrap or sell or scrap now and buy a  2 year old used car with 26k coe?

I wish someone can calculate which one is better.

:D

If it's a car u like, then buy lor.

Ultimately it's lose either way. The $ is already lost either way. So just buy what u like lor.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

If it's a car u like, then buy lor.

Ultimately it's lose either way. The $ is already lost either way. So just buy what u like lor.

Best answer for TS.

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, sHy3r said:

Wah... so did u trade in ur car or continue to drive now?

Yes. I'm waiting for a new model to come in this year then decide.

But my car is well maintained and unless it got mechanical issues, want to drive to scrap or 9th year also can lah. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

TS sounds like a very nice guy kenna taken of by a sweet talking salesman.

TS come to my shop so you don't get taken advantage of by those bad bad car dealers.

I am the best known car dealer in MCF. People here all know me and even my family. No one here don't know my MIL. That's how well known I am.

I have always thought you work in a massage parlour.   You double as a car salesman too?

Your business must be very good.

• Haha! 3

You've missed the boat of low coe prices in 2019/2020. That was the best time to take the loss on cars with high coe and change to one with lower coe and drive for the next 10 years.

The hard truth now is you either drive it all the way or scrap/export it cause no one will buy. Its simple math, your coe alone is an additional $7.3k depre to the car vs a new car with only an additional $4.5k/$5k coe depre. 

• Praise 5

38 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Had a higher COE (~$56k) old car previously.

When COE came low (~$35k) in year 2019/2020, I quickly scrapped the old one, retrieved the remaining COE and then pumped into the new COE.

Will continue driving and think of it again in 2029.

Same as what I did when I dumped my 2017 car with 46k coe for a new car with 28k coe in 2019. 

Never looked back since. 

• Praise 2

After one car I once scrapped on the very last day after owning it for 8 years, all my following cars I drove till last day or last few days...but they were all below 1 year to siam inspection...😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, sHy3r said:

Hmm thats true.. but looks like im stuck in this situation now 😞

Calculate your paper value now, vs at year 10. If the depreciation over the next 2years is the same or more than a brand new car depreciation then change. 
If not just drive on cause it’s cheaper and then dump it should a repair cost some. Or you can self project what you think coe will like and have a trigger point to scrap. 

• Praise 5

12 hours ago, sHy3r said:

Dear all,

I need some advice from you guys. 

I am currently driving a 2013 car (2nd owner) with a high COE of $76k. I recently enquire trade in price and was surprise to hear from dealers that they don’t want to take in this car, but they can help me ask exporter price if I want to or drive till end of 10 yrs. (Current car left with 2.5 yrs) Those dealers who willing to quote as trade in, only offer few hundred more than current paper value. 

When I purchase the used car in 2017, the dealer told me that high COE is a good buy. Paper is high. But now, there are dealers who don’t want take in this car for resale because the COE is $76k...

Any idea why they don’t want to take in my car for trade in? Is there a reason? How much COE then has resale value in future? Is it a good time to sell my 2013 car now? Or I should keep till scrap?

Thank you. 🙂

Maybe your model is not popular so dealer don't want to take in?

For high coe cars, it will be attractice only if the current coe is even higher. Otherwise they just take in and scrap it.

You would need to compare the depreciation of your current car and the next car to see which is more acceptable to you.

This topic again. Some time back, got ppl here advise to buy high COE used car, I disagreed. I replied if one wants to buy high COE used car, might as well go to LTA tell them you willing to pay extra $100,000 COE for "more paper value" while you're at it. 

And back in 2018 and 2019, I also urged on those who bought high COE cars (2013, 2014) to export or scrapped their cars to buy new one. But of course if you purchase it with 10 years loan or balloon scheme, you're stuck.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Yes. I'm waiting for a new model to come in this year then decide.

But my car is well maintained and unless it got mechanical issues, want to drive to scrap or 9th year also can lah. 

Yours is a nice car. Don't think you need to spend a lot for maintenance for the last few years.

I will say drive till scrap. Unless your backside is so itchy that you don't scratch will die 😂

That's what I am also worrying .

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

14 minutes ago, Zxcvb said:

This topic again. Some time back, got ppl here advise to buy high COE used car, I disagreed. I replied if one wants to buy high COE used car, might as well go to LTA tell them you willing to pay extra $100,000 COE for "more paper value" while you're at it. 

And back in 2018 and 2019, I also urged on those who bought high COE cars (2013, 2014) to export or scrapped their cars to buy new one. But of course if you purchase it with 10 years loan or balloon scheme, you're stuck.

Wise man!

6 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Yours is a nice car. Don't think you need to spend a lot for maintenance for the last few years.

I will say drive till scrap. Unless your backside is so itchy that you don't scratch will die 😂

That's what I am also worrying .

yeah not in a rush, esp since Cat B is closer to 50k than 40k now. Not much impetus to break out of the high COE cycle anymore.
Wait for the new octavia to come and see whether i gian or not.

Or just drive until really near scrap, then switch to older 2nd hand cars also can. Though I'm not one who has time to spare going to WS if a car is mechanically unreliable.

1 hour ago, Albeniz said:

I have always thought you work in a massage parlour.   You double as a car salesman too?

Your business must be very good.

I am a victim of Covid. Air stewardess no more flying so no overseas allowance to come for my spa services. Now they are hawker centre safety ambassadors only come to me to rub rub their legs.

And used car dealers hard life as people going car lite.

Haiz life is so hard.

Not to say other people don't have it harder than me.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

4 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

I am a victim of Covid. Air stewardess no more flying so no overseas allowance to come for my spa services. Now they are hawker centre safety ambassadors only come to me to rub rub their legs.

And used car dealers hard life as people going car lite.

Haiz life is so hard.

Not to say other people don't have it harder than me.

No victim here. 

Still good deal, I don't mind some air stewardess ask me rub rub their legs.

I sure can give them good them good rub rub all the way up their inner thighs

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2