2021 Hyundai Ioniq 5 EV

Classic900

(edited)

@hansmith 

On 2/18/2024 at 4:35 PM, hansmith said:

Do bear in mind that the road tax of a cat A EV is more or less double that of a 1.6L petrol car. But, you save on charging electricity vs pumping petrol.

Insurance I assume is more than a petrol car but I dont know how much more.

So this leads to running costs which you need to consider vs other factors when making your purchase decision.

Like I mentioned, I already drive an EV so I know what the road tax is. What I can't figure out is why LTA says the power rating of my car is higher than the published specs. The power rating for road tax calculation is in kW right? 😀

Edited by Erwin123
↡ Advertisement

On 2/18/2024 at 9:32 PM, Erwin123 said:

@hansmith 

Like I mentioned, I already drive an EV so I know what the road tax is. What I can't figure out is why LTA says the power rating of my car is higher than the published specs. The power rating for road tax calculation is in kW right? 😀

What car? What’s LTA power rating?

On 2/18/2024 at 12:32 PM, Erwin123 said:

Thanks, I agree its a personal decision. One feature that appealed to me in the Ioniq 5 is that it drives very similar to my current car because on the Ioniq 5 I can use paddleshifters to select the level of brake regen that is most similar to my current car.

The first time I test drove it, I found that in terms of pedal control, after the brake regen level was set, it was really similar to my current car, so it would be easy to switch between the two if needed.

The only remaining factor is the price difference between Cat A and B. If Cat B continue to fall $10k while cat B only fall $2k, I may be tempted to get the Cat B. Brain say Cat A is enough, Heart says we all need more speed (just finished watching MF Ghost season 1 haha).

devil's advocate here.... why is there a need for steering wheel mounted paddleshift for brake regen toggle on the fly?

from my test driving of EVs...the brake regen is a matter of getting use to...once you are used to it, you will just leave it alone...changing the brake regen setting on the fly is like changing your brake pedal feel on the fly....it confuses the driver more, especially when it comes to urgent/emergency braking.

if it is for different drivers of the same car within the family, the setting should be set and stored to each driver's key profile.

(edited)
On 2/19/2024 at 10:33 AM, Vratenza said:

devil's advocate here.... why is there a need for steering wheel mounted paddleshift for brake regen toggle on the fly?

from my test driving of EVs...the brake regen is a matter of getting use to...once you are used to it, you will just leave it alone...changing the brake regen setting on the fly is like changing your brake pedal feel on the fly....it confuses the driver more, especially when it comes to urgent/emergency braking.

if it is for different drivers of the same car within the family, the setting should be set and stored to each driver's key profile.

for my office commute, I use the paddle to switch regen off after I enter the expressway. but at a certain point on the expressway near the ERP gantry there is always a slowdown, so I switch regen on again, then after the congestion is cleared, I switch regen off. After exiting expressway, I switch regen on again.If I am on a quiet road and traffic light 200-300m ahead of me is red, I switch regen off, lift foot off pedal and coast to the red light (reminds of my manual driving days when I sometimes put to neutral and coast to red light stop). According to my app, I am usually able to go under 20kw/hr in consumption, which I think is good for a dual motor EV   😀

From my limited research of other models - For models without paddle shifters, it also seems that they only have regen on/off and don't have variable levels of regen - this is iX1 and XC40 (and EX30 since I was told its the same), so you can't set the level of regen to something you are familiar with.

Edited by Erwin123
  • Praise 3

Twincharged

I don’t think there is any diff to using more regen mode vs stepping on the brake pedal. Unless you stomp on the pedal. Pressing the brake will always activate regen then finally the physical brake pads. It’s just a matter of getting used to it. 
was ok with the model3 regen at the lowest setting. 

On 2/19/2024 at 5:48 PM, Erwin123 said:

for my office commute, I use the paddle to switch regen off after I enter the expressway. but at a certain point on the expressway near the ERP gantry there is always a slowdown, so I switch regen on again, then after the congestion is cleared, I switch regen off. After exiting expressway, I switch regen on again.If I am on a quiet road and traffic light 200-300m ahead of me is red, I switch regen off, lift foot off pedal and coast to the red light (reminds of my manual driving days when I sometimes put to neutral and coast to red light stop). According to my app, I am usually able to go under 20kw/hr in consumption, which I think is good for a dual motor EV   😀

From my limited research of other models - For models without paddle shifters, it also seems that they only have regen on/off and don't have variable levels of regen - this is iX1 and XC40 (and EX30 since I was told its the same), so you can't set the level of regen to something you are familiar with.

I guess that is your version of driver involvement.... 😆

Still prefer my paddelshifters to downgear to 3rd gear before entering a bend and power out of the bend at apex and upshift with the paddleshift as the rev climb. 

On 2/19/2024 at 9:10 PM, Mkl22 said:

I don’t think there is any diff to using more regen mode vs stepping on the brake pedal. Unless you stomp on the pedal. Pressing the brake will always activate regen then finally the physical brake pads. It’s just a matter of getting used to it. 
was ok with the model3 regen at the lowest setting. 

Rather than regen, I think he meant the level of 1 pedal driving.

Some cars has only on (1 pedal) and off (2 pedals).

With paddle, you can have some rolling rather immediate braking.

Facelift unveiled. Subtle changes on the exterior (the car does look better) and substantial changes inside, with more buttons and more.

hyundai-ioniq-5-2024.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-5-2024.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-5-2024.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-5-2024.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-5-2024.jpg

hyundai-ioniq-5-2024-gli-interni.jpg

The facelifted range of the Ioniq 5 gains the larger 84 kWh battery pack borrowed from the flagship Ioniq 5 N, which replaces the 77.4 kWh unit of the outgoing model. The increase in battery capacity has a positive effect on the electric range, although Hyundai has yet to announce the official figures. Bear in mind that the existing Ioniq 5 with the 77.4 kWh battery pack has an EPA range of up to 488 km or a WLTP range of up to 507 km.

The company didn’t mention any changes to the single and dual-motor electric powertrains, which produced anywhere between 168 hp / 125 kW / 170 PS and 321 hp / 239 kW / 325 PS in the existing Ioniq 5, excluding the Ioniq 5 N which makes 641 hp / 478 kW / 650 PS.

The facelift EV will be available in Korea this month and later in other markets. Expect it to hit our shore by end of Q2 or early Q3.

• Praise 2

1st Gear

Those rims look ugly though. Would take any of the two current wheels over that.

On 2/19/2024 at 5:48 PM, Erwin123 said:

i4 has 3, low, medium and high.