Perodua Ativa SUV: 1KR-VET 1.0L 3cyl turbo deep dive

kobayashiGT

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

Speaking of which, you know daihatsu copen comes with a GR badge!

2020-Daihatsu-Copen-GR-Sport-front.jpg&f

This one is the Copen GR Sport.

Just a cosmetic exercise with fancy BBS alloys, bodykit, sportier suspension and Recaros. 

Drivetrain unchanged 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
29 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

This one is the Copen GR Sport.

Just a cosmetic exercise with fancy BBS alloys, bodykit, sportier suspension and Recaros. 

Drivetrain unchanged 😂

Still wierd to see a GR badge on daihatsu instead of toyota mah. hahaha. Maybe we will see a GR badge on perodua?

• Haha! 2

19 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Still wierd to see a GR badge on daihatsu instead of toyota mah. hahaha. Maybe we will see a GR badge on perodua?

Toyota simply has no idea on how to build a believable performance brand. Malaysia has the Vios GR Sport which is also a styling exercise. Pretty much like what they used to do with all the TRD "Special Editions" or "ah beng" styling editions of regular Toyota models selling in Indonesia, Thailand and Philippines.

IMO, such a move gives little credibility to the relatively new GR badge. They had great bespoke cars coming out with the GR badging such as the GR Supra, GR Yaris, soon to be released 2nd gen GR 86 and probably the GR hybrid hypercar soon. Then they proceed to devalue the GR badge by slapping it on everything. Granted the Germans are now also diluting their M///s and AMGs, at least they had the brand power built over the years to do so. 

Imagine fitting the GR bodykit from a Toyota Raize GR Sports on a Perodua Ativa, it's probably just a straight swap and one will see such rojak on Malaysia roads very soon. So yes, GR badge on a Perodua 😁

• Praise 1

On 2/23/2021 at 11:10 AM, 13177 said:

Dont know got people buy this Ativa even it is priced at $80k range? You see even the Bezza also not much business?! 

People are biased against MY brands. The 3-pot Attrage is selling very well.

• Praise 2

On 2/23/2021 at 10:18 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Perodua-D55L-Render-Blue-1-e161400387999

source: https://paultan.org/2021/02/22/perodua-ativa-suv-1kr-vet-1-0l-3cyl-turbo-deep-dive/

Perodua’s long-awaited compact SUV, the Ativa, is the talk of the town. Based on the attractive Daihatsu Rocky/Toyota Raize and utilising more of its Japanese partner’s technology than ever before, the D55L promises to be the most advanced Perodua ever – marking a new era for the national carmaker.

So far, we’ve looked at the specs, name and pricing; here, we’re taking a deep dive into the Ativa’s new engine, the 1KR-VET. Utilising just three cylinders and 1.0 litres in displacement, it will mark Perodua’s first foray into the world of turbocharging, making it bang up to date with the industry trend of downsizing.

As the name suggests, the 1KR-VET is part of Toyota’s KR engine family, which also includes the 1KR-VE naturally-aspirated mill found in the Bezza and Axia. The lineup shares the same aluminium block, cylinder count and 71 mm cylinder bore, but the unit in the Ativa will have a scant 0.1 mm shorter piston stroke than the rest at 83.9 mm. This knocks two cubic centimetres off the displacement, dropping it down to 996 cc.

The engine’s stroke has likely been shortened to reduce the compression ratio, which has fallen from 11.5:1 on the Bezza and Axia to 9.5:1. This facilitates the addition of the already-compressed air from the turbo, which would otherwise cause knocking.

1KR-VET-e1614004694631.jpg?w=185&h=240&sPerodua-Ativa-D55L-features-teaser.jpg?w

As is typical for a simple turbo engine, the Ativa will feature a single-scroll turbocharger and a front-mounted intercooler. To keep costs down, it will get regular multi-point injection rather than the more expensive direct injection technology; it will also retain the Bezza/Axia’s variable intake valve timing, double overhead cams, timing chain and four valves per cylinder (12 in total).

Naturally, with a turbo in place, the 1KR-VET is significantly more muscular than the 1KR-VE, with outputs of 98 PS at 6,000 rpm and 140 Nm of torque from 2,400 to 4,000 rpm. Against the Bezza and Axia, the Ativa will have an advantage of 30 PS and nearly 50 Nm, which is not to be sniffed at. Those figures are also not a world away from the Nissan Almera, which has a similar 1.0 litre turbo triple and CVT configuration.

To enhance the sensation of speed, the Rocky and Raize get a Power button on the steering wheel, which remaps the engine and gearbox for quicker throttle response; it’s unclear, however, if the Perodua version will come with the same function.

Perodua-Ativa-D55L-leaflet-2.jpg

But the turbo isn’t just good for power – Perodua is claiming an impressive fuel consumption figure 18.9 km per litre for the Ativa. That’s even better than the Daihatsu and Toyota’s 18.6 km per litre with front-wheel drive, although that number was achieved on the stricter WLTP cycle.

The downsized engine and stepless transmission go some way towards improving efficiency, but the Rocky and Raize also benefit from a start-stop system. The Bezza and Myvi already come with this feature, but the one in the Daihatsu and Toyota has been improved slightly, switching the engine off when decelerating from 9 km/h (up from 7 km/h).

Looking at the technologies, output figures and efficiency numbers on offer, we’re pretty sure most of you can’t wait to try out the Ativa for yourselves (and we can’t, either!). But what do you think – is turbocharging the right path for Perodua, or would you have preferred it to stick with a more conventional naturally-aspirated engine? Sound off in the comments after the jump.

I quite like this model/Raine. Compact and balanced. Quite handsome!

• Praise 2

14 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

People are biased against MY brands. The 3-pot Attrage is selling very well.

But last time MY brand like Proton quite popular in our roads le?! Lol. Dont know why now no people want to buy MY brand? I think Attrage mostly are bought by private hire companies, you see now seldom see many attrage on the roads liao esp when Uber closed down in sg?! Attrage like suddenly all disappeared!

Edited by 13177

3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

But last time MY brand like Proton quite popular in our roads le?! Lol. Dont know why now no people want to buy MY brand? I think Attrage mostly are bought by private hire companies, you see now seldom see many attrage on the roads liao esp when Uber closed down in sg?! Attrage like suddenly all disappeared!

For the same price, Raize or Ativa?

Ativa is better equipped than Raize.

• Praise 2

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Last time Proton was under C & C. It was doing quite well!

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

For the same price, Raize or Ativa?

Ativa is better equipped than Raize.

Really hard to answer this. By right shld be Ativa but re-sale later maybe difficult.

Don't think I'll choose either, maybe PI Fit instead but that's a HB n not sure if Fit has the Honda sensing insatlled?

• Praise 6

6 minutes ago, Spring said:

Really hard to answer this. By right shld be Ativa but re-sale later maybe difficult.

Don't think I'll choose either, maybe PI Fit instead but that's a HB n not sure if Fit has the Honda sensing insatlled?

Raize and Ative are CUV while Fit is Hatchback.  Different class la.

teaser-price-specs.jpg

12 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Raize and Ative are CUV while Fit is Hatchback.  Different class la.

teaser-price-specs.jpg

I know that's why I mentioned HB.

I saw the Jazz at Kah recently, access to it is on par with Crossovers I feel and anyway price point is mostly the main factor for this level of buyers. If the Fit comes with Honda sensing, it will sell as the 1.3 is not available at Kah and it is retailing at below $80k but I suspect no Honda sensing so moot point I guess.

• Praise 5

I love Perodua.

But then I never see badge.

:grin:

And I think those Herpes bags are damn ugly.

But no matter how ugly silly women see

the Herpes brand will die die buy it.

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

vid deleted

That hillclimb, I think its done same way I drove the rental Myvi/Persona/Prive up. 99% of the time foot was flat on floor.

• Praise 1

@Fitvip nope. Bezza not doing well cause they are not priced competitively. Bezza may be 2k cheaper than Attrage... but dealer gives good after sales package as a bundle. If perocom does it as well, then got chance to compete

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Zhouwee84 said:

@Fitvip nope. Bezza not doing well cause they are not priced competitively. Bezza may be 2k cheaper than Attrage... but dealer gives good after sales package as a bundle. If perocom does it as well, then got chance to compete

The lowest selling price for the Bezza was at 54k during the Circuit Breaker last year.

↡ Advertisement