Is Scoliosis Treatable

Ender

My daughter has mild scoliosis detected during the school screening. At the HPB Student Health Centre for further investigation, X-ray shows 15 degree, they said nothing to do at the moment, just monitor till next appointment in 6 month.

Are there anything like  physiotherapy. Google around it seem to concur what HPB suggested. Feeling anxious to do nothing about it.  Google and found one orthopedic who in his website suggest it's treatable if detect early.  Quite a number of chiro treating scoliosis.

Is it treatable or should we ignore the HPB advise to monitor and seek treatment if there's one.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My daughter has the same issue during her early secondary school days, also around 10 - 12 degree iirc. And by 17 years old, she was discharged by the doctor (condition has stablized at about 4 - 5 degree). 

There was nothing she can do, except to go for regular review at HPB and probably exercise. Need not to worry, just ensure that she adopt proper body posture when sitting and carrying load, so that conditions will not deteriorate. Apparently this is quite common among kids of this age. 

• Praise 10

It's a developmental issue. U can encourage exercises with good posture, spinal lengthening. 

Heng suay. If it's worsening rapidly, only way to stop it is surgical fixation with screws. 

Chiro claim can rebalance the spine... But u might as well just come up with a good exercise regime for your girl. 

Just keep to the follow up bah. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5

My kids both had it but less than 7 degrees so no treatment needed. Then when they reached 18 and were deemed to have stopped growing, discharged from HPB's care.

Short of surgery, my niece was made to wear a back brace, under the clothes. 

Swimming apparently is good.  

• Praise 4

My niece has scoliosis. Sis brought her to TCM in Crawford and he said hard to treat after 12 years old. Niece had massage and med; said less painful after those and no further progression.

Edited by Kklim

I think is a very very common thing now, at least 8 in 10 girls and even boys get it. 

Both my daughters also kena, and I guess exercises helped. I am guessing strengthening of the back and not to carry heavy loads helped too.  In between the 6 monthly follow ups, I did paid special attention to their back, like I will check the shoulders and sometimes walk behind to see how they walk. 

Seem like in most cases, they get discharge after they start their menses and conditions stabled.

Chiro, I think you save the money bring her go swimming better...

• Praise 6

1 minute ago, Lala81 said:

A lot of women have mild scoliosis. My wife also has some minor scoliosis. Usually just makes u more prone to back ache. 

These days even young boys are getting it. 

My son just had his school check up last month, whole class of 25, only 3 have healthy spine. :huh:

• Shocked 2

39 minutes ago, Loki said:

Short of surgery, my niece was made to wear a back brace, under the clothes. 

Swimming apparently is good.  

Because to be a good swimmer, particularly backstroke and front crawl, u need a strong core. it's not the muscles u see like the abs and lats etc. 

The coordination between the leg kick and the opposite hand movement connects the back's kinetic chain. And a good swimmers core is engaged while they are swimming. 

That's why swimmers always have good posture. Haha that's if their shoulders don't get shredded up from all the training. 

• Praise 6

my eldest daughter was detected at P5 and already at about 20+ degrees....put on the hard brace recommended by NUH@HPB. However the curve worsen to 40+ degrees and was finally recommended to operate.

But we persist to seek alternative treatment and found a ortho clinic at Orchard. Changed to a corrective type of brace and it sort of stablilise after wearing. Not cheap though 

Main thing is to do exercises that strengthen the core muscles such as swimming, yoga for at least 15-30mins daily

Let me know if you would like the ortho clinic name as I do not want to advertise it here

• Praise 4

Try Yoga. You need to balance the muscles. But, do it slowly. The idea is to coax the muscle not to beat the muscles into submission.

Muscles work in pairs. Like bicep/tricep. So, one muscle is contracting more, this caused the other muscle to lengthen and lose tension. So, need to slowly teach the muscles to to work in balance. 

Scoliosis, Yoga Therapy, and the Art of Letting Go

You can try to borrow this book from NLB. Just for background reading. Better to find a yoga teacher to guide. 

Edited by Butakim
  • Praise 2

I remember my mom bringing me to the "outram clinic" during the 80s. All she knew was I got "crooked spine". No meds no special treatment until I was miraculously "discharged" after Sec 4. I never knew if my spine still crooked or not but I guessed I must had a mild case.

My hobby back then happen to be swimming at least 1-2 times per week. Now then I realize it could have "cured" me.

And I finally know its called Scoliosis LOL

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

15 minutes ago, Jellandross said:

I remember my mom bringing me to the "outram clinic" during the 80s. All she knew was I got "crooked spine". No meds no special treatment until I was miraculously "discharged" after Sec 4. I never knew if my spine still crooked or not but I guessed I must had a mild case.

My hobby back then happen to be swimming at least 1-2 times per week. Now then I realize it could have "cured" me.

I think i should have crooked spine since young, people around me see me always walk with a hunch back, and it getting more obvious when getting older and older. [sweatdrop]

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Jellandross said:

I went to the clinic also actually

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Because to be a good swimmer, particularly backstroke and front crawl, u need a strong core. it's not the muscles u see like the abs and lats etc. 

The coordination between the leg kick and the opposite hand movement connects the back's kinetic chain. And a good swimmers core is engaged while they are swimming. 

That's why swimmers always have good posture. Haha that's if their shoulders don't get shredded up from all the training. 

Ah, that’s why my siblings and I all ok.  Since primary school till Sec school, we were competitive swimmers and trained every day plus Mon, Wed and Fri was twice a day, before and after school. 

• Praise 4

Many here advise to go swimming. She used to have a weekly class before covid 19, since then til now is more than a year of no swimming. It's time to restart her lessons.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3