Woman paid $2500 for water heater, PUB investigating

yishunite

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2021/02/25/single-mother-complains-to-case-about-being-overcharged-by-plumber-but-to-no-avail-only-gets-refund-after-sharing-on-social-media/

$3350 bill for simple repairs...

just recently i also kena something like this, got leaky flush so I call the plumber and he claim the pump cost $200 and repair total come to ~$250. 10 seconds on Lazada reveal pump cost more like $30 then go neighbourhood DIY can find the pump for just $15.

So then I tried to change it myself but found the screw cap way too hard to loosen... anyone know what is safe way to do it?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

13 minutes ago, yishunite said:

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2021/02/25/single-mother-complains-to-case-about-being-overcharged-by-plumber-but-to-no-avail-only-gets-refund-after-sharing-on-social-media/

just recently i also kena something like this, got leaky flush so I call the plumber and he claim the pump cost $200 and repair total come to ~$250. 10 seconds on Lazada reveal pump cost more like $30 then go neighbourhood DIY can find the pump for just $15.

So then I tried to change it myself but found the screw cap way too hard to loosen... anyone know what is safe way to do it?

please take a photo of the screw area, i am sure some DIY bros here would be able to provide more suggestion . 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, yishunite said:

Maybe he quoted high high because he didn't want to do your biz. Some people willingly pay 200 instead of 10 dollars for haircut, maybe some plumbers also get inspired to make more money. At least they don't have to try to justify what they do (everyone knows what a plumber does), unlike some CDC people.

Jokes aside, post some photos. Many people here can't afford $200 plumbers and have been DIYing. Sure can help.

• Praise 8

7 hours ago, yishunite said:

you just need some plumbing tools.

for plastic cap: https://shopee.sg/500mm-Rubber-Strap-Wrench-Jar-Lids-Plumbing-Tool-Universal-Oil-Filter-Spanner-i.13495361.4207575987

for metal: https://shopee.sg/7-8-10-12-Inch-Quick-release-Plumbing-Pliers-Water-Pump-Pliers-Plumbers-Jaw-Pipe-Clamp-Wrench-Grips-Hand-Repairing-Tool-i.237104683.6829891407

• Praise 2

6 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Maybe he quoted high high because he didn't want to do your biz. Some people willingly pay 200 instead of 10 dollars for haircut, maybe some plumbers also get inspired to make more money. At least they don't have to try to justify what they do (everyone knows what a plumber does), unlike some CDC people.

Jokes aside, post some photos. Many people here can't afford $200 plumbers and have been DIYing. Sure can help.

Actually $200 isn't the issue... being overcharge for simple job is. But ya so many ppl scared to ownself do anything so these guys have no incentive to play for us cheapskate who can actually do 99% of the task ourself

Hard to take picture coz I had to remove entire tank to get to the cap (and now put everything back when I realise I cannot loosen it myself) but I think @Kb27 strap wrench will do it. Thanks!!!

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

please take a photo of the screw area, i am sure some DIY bros here would be able to provide more suggestion . 

:grin: I am champion diy bro :grin:

AMA 🤪

• Praise 4

25 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Don’t know why the customer didn’t ask town council the handyman to come and do

evwry town council got a list of Electrican plumber etc

Maybe she not staying in HDB?

• Sad 1

Internal Moderator
9 hours ago, yishunite said:

New thread la deh. Who knows you may win Thread of the Month? Lol.

• Shocked 1

Internal Moderator
37 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Thanks for this info! Have a leaky toilet pipe for the past few weeks. Gonna try the number listed on my town council's website.

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Mustank said:

not everyone knows about this.

• Praise 1

Wow. This guy really overcharge dao siao.

This is just a joven 30L water heater. $250-300+ dollars at most.
Even if u come in install frame etc etc etc, usually only 80-100+ extra.
WTH.

My friend installed 5 water heaters in his landed concealed, also cheaper than this.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

52 minutes ago, Mustank said:

:grin: I am champion diy bro :grin:

AMA 🤪

next time i will PM you when i need help. I will buy you kopi.  🤣

• Haha! 2

21 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Maybe she not staying in HDB?

that is possible,  especially most of the plumbers when heard about landed address, their rate change immediately. But this is norm for quite a lot of things, even feng shui rates also different for landed.😀

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2