39 year old SAF regular dies after PT

Atonchia

12 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

There might be a difference in compensation - death due to service or not. 

RIP. And for the rest of us, don't chiong! 

Its weird if they differentiate. The fella is in camp doing what is expected of him which is to be a fighting fit soldier. No difference whether ownself or group training. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

Regulars are expected to pass their IPPT and they have to train for it at their own time. Since this happened in camp while the regular was doing his physical upkeep, I think SAF/insurer has to cough out some compensation. 

============

"Compensation amounts for injuries or deaths arising from Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) training or operations are generally two to four times provided for under the national framework, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen on Monday (Nov 19, 2018).

He said the Ministry of Defence's compensation framework tracks the Work Injury Compensation Act (Wica) for workplace incidents but would generally offer higher amounts.

This is to recognise the risks borne by servicemen during military training and operations, said Dr Ng.

Welfare support is provided through grants disbursed from the SAF Benevolent Fund, which can be used to meet the immediate needs of the families of servicemen who have died, as well as for financial assistance to the family, he said.

Mindef also provides servicemen with $150,000 of Group Term Life and $150,000 of Group Personal Accident insurance under the Mindef/SAF Group Insurance Core Scheme.

Dr Ng said: "The premiums for these insurance are paid by Mindef, in recognition of our servicemen's contribution to national defence and security, and to strengthen our care for them."

but does it apply if he were to be say jogging at his neighbourhood park?

18 minutes ago, Karoon said:

Its weird if they differentiate. The fella is in camp doing what is expected of him which is to be a fighting fit soldier. No difference whether ownself or group training. 

I agree but I think they just want to get people accusations of them pushing the soldier beyond his limit off their back. However, I do think they could be more tactful with their choice of words since a life has been lost.

• Praise 4

7 minutes ago, Playtime said:

but does it apply if he were to be say jogging at his neighbourhood park?

I'm not a legal person but I would think it applies because whether he trained in camp or at the park, he still need to pass IPPT as a regular (part of his KPI).

It would be very different if say, he passed away while skiing because that is a recreational activity outside the scope of what our soldiers are expected in terms of defending our country. Just my layman's view.

Edited by Weez911

39 minutes ago, Karoon said:

Nothing weird. If group training, there should be a training programme, TSR, med coverage, supervision etc. Own self training, no med coverage, no TSR, no supervision. Some may over exert themselves, so risk is higher. And his commanders can't control/influence.  So compensation may be different.

14 hours ago, Karoon said:

Why they must emphasise 'own'?

As the name implies. Not mandatory training run by the senior staff. And hence stop the queries on training risk associated with it. 

self led training is like own self do jogging.. if kanna heat stroke u cannot blame anyone.

• Praise 3

26 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

middle age must agar agar tio hor [sweatdrop]

True. Last time when i run i set target based on timing. Now i set target based on heart rate (thanks to hr watches). Too much cardio zone is not good. 

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Karoon said:

True. Last time when i run i set target based on timing. Now i set target based on heart rate (thanks to hr watches). Too much cardio zone is not good. 

Without knowing your FTHR, you are running on the wrong zone.

If afraid, get cardiologist to assess.

I wrote about that in Exercise thread.

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Without knowing your FTHR, you are running on the wrong zone.

If afraid, get cardiologist to assess.

I wrote about that in Exercise thread.

go polyklinik , get docs letter to go NHC and get the threadmill stress test  or those CT or MPI test done.... the docs there will access what are your expectations or endurance level, family history, lifestyle and do the necessary ........... costs range from about $400 to about $800 depending on the type of test they sent you for ; I've done all the 3 over a period of about 12 years gives you a sense of Assurance (if all is negative and no abnormalities)  but not a Guarantee though  

• Praise 4

3 hours ago, Weez911 said:

Regulars are expected to pass their IPPT and they have to train for it at their own time. Since this happened in camp while the regular was doing his physical upkeep, I think SAF/insurer has to cough out some compensation. 

============

"Compensation amounts for injuries or deaths arising from Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) training or operations are generally two to four times provided for under the national framework, said Defence Minister Ng Eng Hen on Monday (Nov 19, 2018).

He said the Ministry of Defence's compensation framework tracks the Work Injury Compensation Act (Wica) for workplace incidents but would generally offer higher amounts.

This is to recognise the risks borne by servicemen during military training and operations, said Dr Ng.

Welfare support is provided through grants disbursed from the SAF Benevolent Fund, which can be used to meet the immediate needs of the families of servicemen who have died, as well as for financial assistance to the family, he said.

Mindef also provides servicemen with $150,000 of Group Term Life and $150,000 of Group Personal Accident insurance under the Mindef/SAF Group Insurance Core Scheme.

Dr Ng said: "The premiums for these insurance are paid by Mindef, in recognition of our servicemen's contribution to national defence and security, and to strengthen our care for them."

Even not in camp or not due to PT, don't they have life insurance?

1 minute ago, BanCoe said:

go polyklinik , get docs letter to go NHC and get the threadmill stress test  or those CT or MPI test done.... the docs there will access what are your expectations or endurance level, family history, lifestyle and do the necessary ........... costs range from about $400 to about $800 depending on the type of test they sent you for ; I've done all the 3 over a period of about 12 years gives you a sense of Assurance (if all is negative and no abnormalities)  but not a Guarantee though  

I went to NUH Heart Centre without referral letter last year.

I had cardioechogram and threadmill stress test.

With cardioechogram, it give me more assurance than threadmill stress test.

For threadmill stress mill, it did not even stress my heart at all.

Formula driven max HR is lower than my actual max HR.

I spent $800. Cardioechogram is the most expensive at $500.

1 hour ago, Count-Bracula said:

Running is bad for the heart.  

https://scrubbing.in/much-running-bad-heart/

Not really. People who spend the most time doing physical exercise are generally the least likely to have cardiovascular events.
In terms of amateur sports/recreational training context, i don't think u are anywhere close to the volume/amount that elite professional athletes train. 

It's really highly unlikely that anyone over-trains at our level. 

There is still need for strenuous exercise. Not just moderate exercise. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9