Japan’s supermarket Kinokuniya opens Pop-Up Stores in S’pore, has Strawberry Butter, Truffle Soy Sauce & more

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

kinokuniya-pop-up-stores-singapore-628x3

No, it’s not related to the bookstore in case you are wondering.

The Kinokuniya self-service supermarket which started as a fruit merchant has been around in Japan since the early 50s and has expanded to more than 30 stores in Tokyo, most of them inside train stations.

Here’s how their stores typically look like in the country.

25445933_1776742532350393_19761880204987

19260515_1776742589017054_43740941255762

Pop-up stores in Singapore

To promote made-in-Japan produce and goods during this Covid pandemic, Kinokuniya will be opening pop-up stores around Asia, and two of them will be opening here in Singapore this March.

eb_kinokuniya_030221.jpg.webp

The first (now opened) will be located at Japan Rail Cafe in Guoco Tower, Tanjong Pagar while the next one will be situated inside Isetan Scotts supermarket which is slated to open on 5 March later this week.

Both stores will operate till 18 March.

view06_1479194771-900x549.jpg.webp

92552358_3095671993810570_38468167503393

A selection of Kinokuniya’s bestsellers will be available in the pop-up stores which include:

• Strawberry Butter
  • Premium Truffle Soya Sauce
  • Chilli Oil Shrimp Crackers
  • Yuzu Vinegar Concentrate
  • Fruity Vinegar Fizz Drinks and many more…

Additionally, other Kinokuniya’s products such as Pancake Mix, Hokkaido Dried Scallop and vinegar drinks will also be available via JW360 online store on Shopee.

126350-KINOKUNIYA1.JPG.jpg.webp

Besides grocery and food items, shoppers will also be able to purchase Kinokuniya-branded original Eco Bags.

126357-KINOKUNIYA2.jpg.jpg.webp

Japan Rail Cafe

• Address: 5 Wallich St, #01-20 Guoco Tower, Singapore 078883
  • Opening Hours: 11am – 9pm daily (closes 9.30pm on Fri & Sat)
  • Nearest MRT Station: Tanjong Pagar

Isetan Scotts (Shaw House)

• Address: 350 Orchard Rd, Shaw House, Singapore 238868
  • Opening Hours: 10am – 8pm daily (closes 9pm on Fri & Sat)
  • Nearest MRT Station: Orchard

Source: https://www.greatdeals.com.sg/2021/03/03/kinokuniya-supermarket-pop-up-stores-mar-2021

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

1 hour ago, Mustank said:

This stuff too atas for me

Heng got Yishun Sheng siong :grin:

Eh Sheng Siong sell frozen Danish chicken sibei atas eh

• Haha! 3

(edited)
2 hours ago, Mustank said:

Same as Dong Dong Donkey ..... [:(]

Very expensive ... [:|]

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
  • Haha! 3

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Mustank said:

I thought you everything taobao.

• Haha! 3

Supersonic
25 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Same as Dong Dong Donkey ..... [:(]

Very expensive ... [:|]

I hardly go to dong dong donkey and these japanese supermarket. I only go Fairprice. Lol.

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I hardly go to dong dong donkey and these japanese supermarket. I only go Fairprice. Lol.

I remember in the early 70's, one Japanese Supermarket opened its store at Plaza Singapura. Yaohan

It started with Japanese goods and as years past have sell local goods inside as less peoples buying Japanese stuff.

Until NTUC, Oriental Emporium comes into the pictures, Yaohan & FrizPatrick slowly dying off .... [smallcry]

Wonder how long DDD can last ... -_-

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

He missed the Geisha Girls lar ..... :we-all-gonna-die:

Not a food man ... :secret-laugh:

hahahaha. That one I cannot help liao. hahahah.

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic
43 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

I remember in the early 70's, one Japanese Supermarket opened its store at Plaza Singapura. Yaohan

It started with Japanese goods and as years past have sell local goods inside as less peoples buying Japanese stuff.

Until NTUC, Oriental Emporium comes into the pictures, Yaohan & FrizPatrick slowly dying off .... [smallcry]

I went to the Yaohan at Thomson Plaza.

• Praise 5

58 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Yeah it was an event to go to the basement food street as a kid and ate while standing.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

He missed the Geisha Girls lar ..... :we-all-gonna-die:

Not a food man ... :secret-laugh:

I like both lah!

:grin:

image.thumb.png.84b3aa8794e3d12376989013c5978158.png

• Haha! 5

Hypersonic
27 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Yeah it was an event to go to the basement food street as a kid and ate while standing.

I think most uncle at late 40 to early 50s went Yaohan was still a kid.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Japanese foods 1st started at Yaohan, Plaza Singapura . . . it is good to branch out like Daimaru RV and such, now we have outlets at Tanjong Pagar, Isetan Orchard and Rail mall, same like any Korean restaurant outlets, speed them island wide  where snacks can be easily obtained past midnight  . . . Japanese has those vending machine - hot beverages machine and instant noodles, i would anticipate more of simple meals available where Singapore's food delights never sleep . . .[laugh]

• Praise 1

DDD will last a very long time.

I had to q up to go in and q up to pay and the q so long.

Young people got so much parents money no problem go DDD and buy all the things they like

and DDD got many things they like.

Yaohan closed down not because no business but because 1997 Japan economy bubble burst.

Yaohan Singapore was doing very well.

2 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

• Praise 1

DDD will last a very long time.

I had to q up to go in and q up to pay and the q so long.

Young people got so much parents money no problem go DDD and buy all the things they like

and DDD got many things they like.

Yaohan closed down not because no business but because 1997 Japan economy bubble burst.

Yaohan Singapore was doing very well.

Straits Times readers share fond memories of Yaohan shopping centres

image.png.8696a7e1e0de53634a5af59cc3afdd18.png

image.thumb.png.86b68de401a4845207ff169c52fe9718.png

Supersonic

You see which supermarket chain last forever here? Even the econ mini mart also no more liao. So DDD sure will disappear from sg, see when happen only la.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1