Breakeven for Car Loan (buy and sell within 1 year)

Metalslug2

thanks for the replies...

i guess no escape from the early redemption penalty - but 1 yr car loan do they offer it?

rental is pricey

yes maybe i can rent the car for the times i need it adhoc basis

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Metalslug2 said:

i guess no escape from the early redemption penalty - but 1 yr car loan do they offer it?

rental is pricey

What are do you want to get? Whether you can re-sell at the pricing you want is another matter. Or if anyone wants to buy it at all.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
7 hours ago, Metalslug2 said:

rental is pricey

Just to give you an idea of the ownership car costs that you need to factor in:

Depreciation : this has been what you are focusing on. This is buy price - sell price (unknown) add loan interest paid

RoadTax: depends on your car model, usually at least 600 per year

Insurance: If you were not a previous car owner, then likely you will be charged 1+ to 2k at least for a year

Season Parking: 1.3k for HDB annual

Fuel: Depends on how much you drive, at least 2-5k a year

Misc Parking: Depends on how much you park outside, at least 1-3k a year

Repairs and Servicing: Maybe you want to skip servicing for that 1 year, but repairs may come in without warning.

So even not considering depreciation costs, it may be up to 10k a year for other costs.

You may want to look at Taxi/GRAB + B.M.W as an alternative 

• Praise 4

There’s BlueSG, GetGo or worst case scenario if you’re desperate for a car lease a PHV for a year and drive as much as needed to make your ownership costs work.This assumes you have a vocational license.

The last option is highly not recommended though.

(edited)

Just buy a 9 year old PARF car. Once COE is up, scrap it and take back the balance money. If you think you still need a car for another 1 year, rinse and repeat. You get the cheap thrill of changing cars every year, yet minimal commitment. 20K is adequate to get you a 9 year old car if you are not picky. You don't even need to take a loan and pay all the nonsense interest/penalties. Most of the time road tax is paid up to COE expiry.

I used to do just that. Buy a 9 year old manual vios and scrap once coe is up. Take back balance money put into another vios. I did this for quite a few years when my job was not too stable and i needed a car to do my work (job requirement).

Edited by Sunset73
  • Praise 6

3 hours ago, Sunset73 said:

Just buy a 9 year old PARF car. Once COE is up, scrap it and take back the balance money. If you think you still need a car for another 1 year, rinse and repeat. You get the cheap thrill of changing cars every year, yet minimal commitment. 20K is adequate to get you a 9 year old car if you are not picky. You don't even need to take a loan and pay all the nonsense interest/penalties. Most of the time road tax is paid up to COE expiry.

I don't believe in this but I got a friend who does.  Another benefit is that any scratches will not be painful at all.  So you save more money on detailing and car wash.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Sunset73 said:

I used to do just that. Buy a 9 year old manual vios and scrap once coe is up. Take back balance money put into another vios. I did this for quite a few years when my job was not too stable and i needed a car to do my work (job requirement).

Done that, doing it still so I can haolian I full cash change "new" car everi ear😁

• Haha! 2

32 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I don't believe in this but I got a friend who does.  Another benefit is that any scratches will not be painful at all.  So you save more money on detailing and car wash.

The contis I ever owned probably the most chui examples one can find here 😁

• Praise 1

31 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

If you work at the construction site or shipyard, lagi best. Dont need to worry about car wash or paint damage. If your job needs a car yet you cant cough out much money, this seem to be a viable solution.

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Sunset73 said:

If you work at the construction site or shipyard, lagi best. Dont need to worry about car wash or paint damage. If your job needs a car yet you cant cough out much money, this seem to be a viable solution.

with toyotas still relatively safe. sometimes these 9year old have too much to fix. in the end $$ spent for that 1-2years of driving will cost $$.

1 minute ago, Mkl22 said:

with toyotas still relatively safe. sometimes these 9year old have too much to fix. in the end $$ spent for that 1-2years of driving will cost $$.

Yeah that's why I specified vios. Honda is ok too. Relatively safe.

Buy a car and sell within one year?

If COE goes down $20k then add 20k additional depreciation to the cost of your 1 year motoring experience.

:D

(edited)

However if COE does up $20k

then maybe get free use of a car for one year.

Do you feel lucky?

Then come and buy a car from me

and make my day.

Edited by Jamesc

On 3/4/2021 at 9:12 PM, Wildfaye29 said:

Grab

No stress

I remember uber pool.  I was post night.  At that time I did not drive to work cos I had my off peak car.

I was the first passenger. I told the driver to take his time picking up the other passengers and drop them off first.  Cos I am post night and sleepy.

Next thing I knew he woke me up.  I was back home.  I was about to ask him why he rushed when I saw the dash board clock.  An hour had gone by.  I was sleeping soundly for one hour in his car....

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I remember uber pool.  I was post night.  At that time I did not drive to work cos I had my off peak car.

I was the first passenger. I told the driver to take his time picking up the other passengers and drop them off first.  Cos I am post night and sleepy.

Next thing I knew he woke me up.  I was back home.  I was about to ask him why he rushed when I saw the dash board clock.  An hour had gone by.  I was sleeping soundly for one hour in his car....

You going around showrooms drinikng free coffe, even uber you also want to max out your trip, now you have a new girlfreind, better dont do the same  in front of her hor !😅😅

• Haha! 3

11 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

You going around showrooms drinikng free coffe, even uber you also want to max out your trip, now you have a new girlfreind, better dont do the same  in front of her hor !😅😅

U left out the part on the biscuits

• Haha! 3

40 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Better go to police station get anal swab and check for dna sample le… kaoz 

• Shocked 1

34 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Think their faces will be like this on the front of every showroom 

247A425E-3EF7-48D7-B0C3-103BA64E4B4D.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2