S’pore to stop diesel car, taxi registrations, have 8 ‘EV-ready towns’ including Bedok, Punggol, Queenstown by 2025

Dinofied

Twincharged

I have an idea, why not like this.. since government say 15% of the HDB carpark lot will be charging lot by 2030 and power grid infrastructure will need upgrade if install all fast charge. So why not say out of these 15% allocate say 10% of it to fast charge, the rest 90% slow charge? Of coz the pricing for charging will end up be the same to full charge be it slow or fast charge. Just that if the the car charged full already, same have 30 minutes grace period to shift car if not will get charge extra per minute.

Like that the turnover will be slightly higher and thus able to accommodate slightly more cars to charge as compared to all slow charging only.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

40 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

I have an idea, why not like this.. since government say 15% of the HDB carpark lot will be charging lot by 2030 and power grid infrastructure will need upgrade if install all fast charge. So why not say out of these 15% allocate say 10% of it to fast charge, the rest 90% slow charge? Of coz the pricing for charging will end up be the same to full charge be it slow or fast charge. Just that if the the car charged full already, same have 30 minutes grace period to shift car if not will get charge extra per minute.

Like that the turnover will be slightly higher and thus able to accommodate slightly more cars to charge as compared to all slow charging only.

I don't think you can have the pricing for slow or fast charge to end up be the same - this is like ordering a normal taxi vs a limousine taxi from Point A to B, and you charge both at the same price. Then everyone will "surge" (pun intended!) towards using the fast charger since it saves time. This "time saved" has to come at a premium for sure.

The grace period thing is a good thing - but as I mentioned before, I'm quite sure there are those guai lan drivers who will simply not bother to move their vehicle away until their errands are finished for the day at wherever destination they're at.

I would suggest the tow truck for such cases, but like one bro said - it's gonna be an overkill that will backfire on the government.

PS: I also support the use of one-way spike strips to prevent illegal turns or prevent drivers from taking shortcuts by driving against the flow of traffic, but that's another story for another day.

Turbocharged

Did you know that Super 800 Waste Management has 2 rubbish EV (electric vehicle) trucks as test bed, and they've been towed away countless times. Halfway clearing the rubbish, battery depleted faster than expected and had to be towed away to be charged. The battery cannot tahan the heavy duty requirements of such heavy vehicles.

What an awesome start to EVs. 💪 👍

• Haha! 8

(edited)

So meaning for Tesla, base model , road tax will also reduce. its since below 230KW.

Edited by Dannnn

3 hours ago, Yewheng said:

I have a better idea - slow charge or fast charger, once the car battery is full, the charger will reverse flow and start to draw electricity back from the car AND charge the owner for the amount of electricity suck back from the car, plus what went into the car earlier. 

All owners will guai guai stay in their cars and unplug immediately once full and move out! 

Problem solved. QED. 

The ministar doesn't need to thank me for this suggestion. 

• Haha! 4

Turbocharged

Can you imagine the "joy" of driving an EV Lamborghini, Ferrari, McLaren or Porsche?

With EVs, complete death of manual transmission.

4 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Did you know that Super 800 Waste Management has 2 rubbish EV (electric vehicle) trucks as test bed, and they've been towed away countless times. Halfway clearing the rubbish, battery depleted faster than expected and had to be towed away to be charged. The battery cannot tahan the heavy duty requirements of such heavy vehicles.

What an awesome start to EVs. 💪 👍

i got a feeling i am gonna venture into tow truck business run by ICE :D

• Haha! 2

Supersonic

slow-charger is again a half-bake idea. if you want to go all the way, must straightaway install fast-charger.

or else they will come around again to "upgrade", dig again, and repeat all the inconvenience all over again.

• Praise 3

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

slow-charger is again a half-bake idea. if you want to go all the way, must straightaway install fast-charger.

or else they will come around again to "upgrade", dig again, and repeat all the inconvenience all over again.

Slow chargers are probably acceptable setup in landed homes with personal parking space. 

20 hours ago, Comage said:

Sorry la, Boss, I layman only. Already forgot my Economics 101 classes. 

But in that sense, I doubt EV is going to be very affordable here, given the COE is the one driving the prices up... 

I know somehow COE prices will go up in line to make it the same as ICE cars... That is if EV is cheaper than ICE cars somehow. Else everyone will rush to buy an EV car.

Guess and hopefully ...LTA will create another COE class for EV...

Turbocharged
On 3/5/2021 at 10:35 AM, inlinesix said:

Tesla Model 3 also about the same time with Tesla Supercharger.

My HDB MSCP got 7 series le.

My hdb cp got maserati

• Praise 1

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Else how to increase GDP? It is via tear down and rebuild that GDP goes up. 

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Kb27 said:

If change existing charger from slow to fast, why need to dig again?

(edited)
48 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

If change existing charger from slow to fast, why need to dig again?

Coz the charging current is higher, ie need thicker/standard-compliant cables that support the fast charge standards? 

The RFQ for the current slow charger setup - I doubt the vendor who is bidding for it using the govt's "lowest bidder wins" system, is going to throw in fast-charger compliant cables and still be able to keep within their budget. 

You should know that right? Or are you gonna say another one of your "adapt or die trying" thing again? 

Or you think govt will insist on fast-charge compliant cables and give extra budget to the winning vendors to implement it? 

Edited by Comage
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2