portable wifi router vs mobile hotspot vs data card

Tianmo

Mobile and IT experts lai lai dao kar chiu....^_^

I am setting up a system where I need to hook up 13 mobile phones via an app outdoor. The app requires that all phones are wireless enable in order to work. 

The phones will be place between 10m-30m apart. What would be the best option?

Having a data only sim card seem like the most stable option. But it also seem like the most costly and troublesome option, having to purchase 13 cards and topping up every month. Moreover each IC can only purchase a max of 3 prepaid cards, making buying 13 cards another issue.

Mobile hotspot could reduce the number of cards, but the range seem to be rather short. I read that most mobile hotspots can only get up to a range of maybe 10m? I might go try it out later and see the max range to remain stable. Anyone has any experience with hotspot range? 

Portable wifi router claim to have a range of 30m-40m, and some can connect up to 15 devices. Anyone can cfm the claim is legit? 

Suggestions? 

Thank you many many....^_^[laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement

26 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

I am setting up a system where I need to hook up 13 mobile phones via an app outdoor. The app requires that all phones are wireless enable in order to work. 

Having a data only sim card seem like the most stable option. But it also seem like the most costly and troublesome option, having to purchase 13 cards and topping up every month. Moreover each IC can only purchase a max of 3 prepaid cards, making buying 13 cards another issue.

Mobile hotspot could reduce the number of cards, but the range seem to be rather short. I read that most mobile hotspots can only get up to a range of maybe 10m? I might go try it out later and see the max range to remain stable. Anyone has any experience with hotspot range? 

Portable wifi router claim to have a range of 30m-40m, and some can connect up to 15 devices. Anyone can cfm the claim is legit? 

Suggestions? 

When can I place my bets...?😁

JK good luck bro 🤞

• Haha! 2

Mifi range really is device dependent and also depends on whether is clear line of sight or obstacles in-between, ,>10m should b doable on full power settings and clear line of sight, connection signal strength is another thing that u should consider as at e end of the line might b just 1 bar out of 4 or 5 max bars.. Another thing to consider is battery, e advertised operation hours is generally base on using eco mode, thus lesser range/power.
As for number of max device connected, it is mifi device dependent.
Personally max out a 5/5 and a 8/9 mifi device, not much complain on e connection, range wise nvr measure est +-10m still ok but e mifi runs hot and battery depletion is quite fast on full load.

My 2 cents...

• Praise 2

What is the bandwidth required and frequency of data transmission? 

There are other non-consumer options out there which can be more suitable depending on your requirements.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

Suggestions? 

Woah. You collect horse betting issit! haha.

Anyway, if you have so many devices need to connect at once, I will suggest 4g wifi router instead. Not stable to use a dongle kind.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/4g-wifi-router/

Then for the data plan, can consider TPG.

https://www.tpgmobile.sg/prepaid

• Praise 1

(edited)
19 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Anyway, if you have so many devices need to connect at once, I will suggest 4g wifi router instead. Not stable to use a dongle kind.

IMHO.
A 3G/4G router will be the best bet. 
However, there could be limitations.  E.g. a Dlink DWR-920  is up to 10 wifi.
Moreover,  need AC. 

Erm... TPG.... this one must really test. 

Edited by Kklee
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
27 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
Moreover,  need AC. 

I got use TPG before. Their network is okay. Usable.

31 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
Moreover,  need AC. 

I using TPG. No problems above ground at all. Very fast. I am using it in my iPad Air. Can watch tv, YouTube and Mio Tv on the go.

$10 for 50Gb. No horse run.:D

BTW, replying this post on my iPad Air outside now.

• Praise 3

4 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I got use TPG before. Their network is okay. Usable.

Now 13 people..... 

• Haha! 2

(edited)

IMHO.
TPG is usable but very much locality dependent.

My TPG Speedtest is about 4 Mbps down and 7 Mbps up.
My Singtel Speedtest is about 150 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up. 

Usable  but slow. 

Edited by Kklee
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Kklee said:

The solution you are looking for is a once off thing ? 

nope. 

3-4 times a week, likely for 2-3 years until I find a better system. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Suggestions? 

Talk to SingTel and they will offer you the "MobiTalk". Coverage 100 km

Many lorry companies with fleet of 15 or more lorries have one. [:)]

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Macrosszero said:

What is the bandwidth required and frequency of data transmission? 

There are other non-consumer options out there which can be more suitable depending on your requirements.

bandwidth is really very low, mayb like less than 100MB in total each week, so I think 1GB a month is more than enough. Frequency 2.4GZ enough liao, no need 5G...

actually my requirement is quite simple. The phones are all connected via an app, and then place at 10m-30m a part in the open, when an object walk pass, the phone will take a photo and starts its timer. when the object walk pass the 2nd phone, it will take a photo as well and stop the timer. As the object continue to walk towards the other phones, the process repeat, until the end. 

The timings transmitted to all the phones are via internet, but consumption is actually very little. 

any other non-consumer options you can gai siao? ^_^[laugh][laugh]

4 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

nope. 

3-4 times a week, likely for 2-3 years until I find a better system. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

IMHO.
If I am in your situation,    I will explore the use of  usb powered routers with antenna 
3G/4G usb modems will still be need but entire setup can be powered by powerbanks and USB. 

Alternatively,   use a home-based type router with high-gain antenna and connect to a 4G Wifi router.
The set back is the AC power source - battery & inverter

Check your PM for some info on the usb powered routers with antenna. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

If collect horse, i think the BIG BOSS would have taken care of the system right, where need the runners to worry...[laugh]

Your idea sound good, later I go check it out..[thumbsup][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement