portable wifi router vs mobile hotspot vs data card

Tianmo

Hypersonic
9 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Heng I found out of this from taobao when they were selling cheap usb fans for routers

now my Pc, AVR, ac to 12v power supply, ps4 all cooling fan gao gao

haha

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Call 1627
Select 2 (BB svc)
Select 2 (tech assistant)
Select 5 (unable to connect to internet)
Select 1 (network reset)
Enter M1 account number
Enter a mobile number

If they cannot do an auto reset, the support tech will call u back.

On another thread, someone suggested if u are just changing router (not spoilt), u just do a WAN disconnect on your old router pre-emptively. 

M1 remembers the MAC id of the router, hence the issue, cannot suka suka change router.

Wah lau... this is damn pro and must bookmark it!

Hypersonic
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Gizmore said:

Wah lau... this is damn pro and must bookmark it!

thank the guy from HWZ. Not me. Super detailed answer. 
I store it in my Evernote

Edited by Lala81

Supercharged

Btw, does any body know of any brand of mesh router that offers USB HDD connectivity? i.e. attached a USB drive as a NAS?

Hypersonic
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Gizmore said:

Btw, does any body know of any brand of mesh router that offers USB HDD connectivity? i.e. attached a USB drive as a NAS?

i believe should be available on asus routers. As a basic network stored drive. But dont think have the other functions of NAS.

I've not used it before. But i read reviews that it can be done. But never explored on how to do so.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011279/

Edited by Lala81

@Gizmore 

5 hours ago, Gizmore said:

The first and most important thing to remember is a router’s primary function is to host your network. For this reason, even a high-end router tends to have limited processing power for non-networking tasks.

Naturally, a router is not as capable as a dedicated NAS when hosting storage space. Also, just because the router USB port or ports support a few functions — like NAS, printing, or cellular modem, and so on — doesn’t mean you should expect to use all of them at the same time, nor should you expect the top performance of each when you use them all together.

(For the same reason, you can’t, either, expect to have the same storage performance via Wi-Fi as via a wired connection. In the former, the router has to use its power to broadcast the Wi-Fi signals at the same time.)

By the way, if a router has multiple USB ports, chances are they all share a single USB hub. So, you can’t use more than one bus-powered devices with it, and each port only has its share of the hub’s total bandwidth.

I would advise you get from taobao those 4 bays xenology for as little as $80 and add your own hdd, its has the same features synology dsm and has much better security and features as compare to a router usb attached storage.

Supercharged
On 5/20/2021 at 12:30 PM, Lala81 said:

Call 1627
Select 2 (BB svc)
Select 2 (tech assistant)
Select 5 (unable to connect to internet)
Select 1 (network reset)
Enter M1 account number
Enter a mobile number

If they cannot do an auto reset, the support tech will call u back.

On another thread, someone suggested if u are just changing router (not spoilt), u just do a WAN disconnect on your old router pre-emptively. 

M1 remembers the MAC id of the router, hence the issue, cannot suka suka change router.

Was trying to use an old router for some changes to my home network setup and it simply doesn't want to grab a WAN IP.

As I was surfing sgcarmart forum, for some reason, this post came enlighten into my head. Gonna try this tonight.

😅

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Update.

In the end, don't need to call M1 to reset. Clone the MAC address into the old router and the WAN is alive!

Turbocharged

Folks, borrow this thread for some quick questions.

My company laptop doesn't allow me to tap on public free wifi, but I need to attend online zoom meetings and work on large emails in places like coffeeshop, libraries etc.

One way to do this is through tethering,  using the data plan from my smart phone.

The quick questions are:

1.  What is the best data plan for this purpose, assuming I want the least commitment? 

2.   How much data would a typical 2-hour zoom meeting consume?

3.   There seems to be a number of new companies providing these data plans, how stable are their data service?

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Folks, borrow this thread for some quick questions.

My company laptop doesn't allow me to tap on public free wifi, but I need to attend online zoom meetings and work on large emails in places like coffeeshop, libraries etc.

One way to do this is through tethering,  using the data plan from my smart phone.

The quick questions are:

1.  What is the best data plan for this purpose, assuming I want the least commitment? 

2.   How much data would a typical 2-hour zoom meeting consume?

3.   There seems to be a number of new companies providing these data plans, how stable are their data service?

Best to ask here. 

• Praise 1

Thinking of traveling n sharing wifi in Japan n Taiwan with probably Europe.. anyone here knows if this works ?

Check out All Netcom H1 4G/5G car WIFI unlimited flo...at 49% off!$40.00 only!Get it on Lazada now! https://s.lazada.sg/s.bX1rI

if there is a better one.. please chime in

On 3/17/2023 at 12:11 PM, Sdf4786k said:

Thinking of traveling n sharing wifi in Japan n Taiwan with probably Europe.. anyone here knows if this works ?

Check out All Netcom H1 4G/5G car WIFI unlimited flo...at 49% off!$40.00 only!Get it on Lazada now! https://s.lazada.sg/s.bX1rI

if there is a better one.. please chime in

this is just the wifi router right? still need to get the local data sim. so far I used a few brands all no problem connecting n sharing as hotspot, get a bigger battery size to last whole day n to connect among few devices.

On 3/17/2023 at 12:22 PM, Jman888 said:

this is just the wifi router right? still need to get the local data sim. so far I used a few brands all no problem connecting n sharing as hotspot, get a bigger battery size to last whole day n to connect among few devices.

Yup but for Europe I believe u need multiple sim.. but I maybe wrong

On 3/17/2023 at 1:39 PM, Sdf4786k said:

Yup but for Europe I believe u need multiple sim.. but I maybe wrong

nowadays i just use esim, and if travel with family will get extra sim card n use wifi for them to share. 

If people got bad wifi reception at home just get one of these on Caroushell.

Cheap about $40 for a new set.

:D

image.thumb.png.8987b89dab2efcc1b8ac2e32077a5fb1.png

• Praise 1

On 3/17/2023 at 2:20 PM, Jman888 said:

nowadays i just use esim, and if travel with family will get extra sim card n use wifi for them to share. 

Nice .. do u bring along your own pocket wifi or u allow them to tether to   Your HP 

On 3/17/2023 at 2:26 PM, Jamesc said:

If people got bad wifi reception at home just get one of these on Caroushell.

Cheap about $40 for a new set.

:D

image.thumb.png.8987b89dab2efcc1b8ac2e32077a5fb1.png

I think only 2 ports available but u are right 40 dollars .. I think that’s what SingTel Is providing a similar product model 

Edited by Sdf4786k
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1