2022 Kia EV6

Carbon82

The distance cousin of Hyundai Ioniq 5. Basing on the silhouette seen below, it look like a sportier version of Ioniq 5. I like! :wub:

2022-kia-ev6-teaser.jpg

2022-kia-ev6-teaser.jpg

2022-kia-ev6-teaser.jpg

2022-kia-ev6-teaser.jpg

Hyundai inaugurated the E-GMP platform dedicated to electric vehicles a couple of weeks ago with the Ioniq 5 and now sister brand Kia is about to unveil the EV6 riding on the same underpinnings. The zero-emissions model is the firm's first EV to adopt the latest design language and adopts the new nomenclature that will be used by future dedicated electric cars, as small as the EV1 and as large as the EV9.

Much like the Ioniq 5, it takes the shape of a crossover and a dedicated page on Kia UK's site mentions the design is derived from the 2019 Imagine concept. It looks nothing like other production models from the South Korean brand and has the typically short overhangs you'd expect from a dedicated EV.

It will be able to cover more than 483Km and will only take 18 minutes to charge the battery from 10 to 80 percent, which is the same thing we can say about the Ioniq 5. Should you be in a hurry, four minutes of charging equate to 100Km of range. 

0 to 100Km/h will take only 3.5 seconds, which is quite interesting considering the quickest and most powerful Ioniq 5 of the bunch does the job in 5.2 seconds. EVs don't excel in terms of top speed and it should be the same story with the EV6, although it seems to be sportier than the Hyundai version, which is capped at 185 Km/h regardless of configuration.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 16

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

I can challenge my neighbour ferrari and lambo😆

Wah your neighborhood very atas! [thumbsup]

Edited by Volvobrick

7 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Wah your neighborhood very atas! [thumbsup]

is it? i wanted to say his neighbor's neighbor  must be very atas, staying at atas place, high SES fellow. 

• Haha! 4

(edited)
1 hour ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

185 means barely overtake those proton up north lol

and to push the motor at 185km/h on NS highway, the motor will kong out very soon. But in the near future , we may see EV coming with a gearbox, and because of the wide power to speed ratio of the electric motor itself, likelihood a 2 speed gearbox will do a decent job, by then, 185km/h will become cruising speed only.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 3

12 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

and to push the motor at 185km/h on NS highway, the motor will kong out very soon. But in the near future , we may see EV coming with a gearbox, and because of the wide power to speed ratio of the electric motor itself, likelihood a 2 speed gearbox will do a decent job, by then, 185km/h will become cruising speed only.

Hehe I believe the Taycan already has that 🙂 . E-tron GT probably as well since same platform.

• Praise 3

12 minutes ago, kelaihoyin said:

Hehe I believe the Taycan already has that 🙂 . E-tron GT probably as well since same platform.

you are correct, injust google and it is true that taycan really  come with a 2 speed gearbox.

There are 2 key reasons (beside physical limitations with electric motors and the lack of a gearbox) why most EVs have a lower top speed (typically between 130 - 160Km/h) than conventional ICE vehicles. 

1. To move the car faster required drawing of more battery juice and while that mean the effective range might be much shorter than official rating, it would also increase the risk  overheating the battery pack (fire hazard), and engineering controls will become too complex for mass market model. 

2. With a battery pack (which can weigh >400kg) in-lieu of fuel tank, an EV will be significantly heavier than normal car, which mean a higher impact if the car crash into someone or object(s) and the lowering of top speed would be the best approach in mitigating this risk.

• Praise 10

On 3/9/2021 at 11:09 PM, Thaiyotakamli said:

185 means barely overtake those proton up north lol

185 means barely been stolen without the need of a tow truck to get it out of JB 

• Praise 1

The rendering look highly plausible.

kia-ev6-rendering.jpg

It seems quite sizeable from these spy shots! 

Kia%20EV%20SUV-6.jpg

Kia%20EV%20SUV-3.jpg

Hope the price will not be out of the world when it landed in Singapore. I know car will never be cheap here, but with Hyundai Ioniq 5 produced locally, I am pinning my hope that it will serve as a price check for Kia EV6. 

• Praise 3

On 3/10/2021 at 1:21 PM, Carbon82 said:

There are 2 key reasons (beside physical limitations with electric motors and the lack of a gearbox) why most EVs have a lower top speed (typically between 130 - 160Km/h) than conventional ICE vehicles. 

1. To move the car faster required drawing of more battery juice and while that mean the effective range might be much shorter than official rating, it would also increase the risk  overheating the battery pack (fire hazard), and engineering controls will become too complex for mass market model. 

2. With a battery pack (which can weigh >400kg) in-lieu of fuel tank, an EV will be significantly heavier than normal car, which mean a higher impact if the car crash into someone or object(s) and the lowering of top speed would be the best approach in mitigating this risk.

the engine block of a petrol vehicle  should be close to about 150kg, plus the gear box etc, that should offset the 400kg battery pack by half, so the net weight increase of a EV should not be   too much higher than that of a fuel vehicle.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

On 3/12/2021 at 10:49 AM, Ct3833 said:

the engine block of a petrol vehicle  should be close to about 150kg, plus the gear box etc, that should offset the 400kg battery pack by half, so the net weight increase of a EV should not be   too much higher than that of a fuel vehicle.

Not 100% apple to apple comparison but the weight difference can be >600Kg between the GLC & EQC just for an example, which account for >30% weight increase.

GLC43 AMG => 1,870Kg (https://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/glc.pdf)

EQC400 => 2,495Kg (https://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/passenger-cars/e-brochures/eqc.pdf)

• Praise 9

On 3/12/2021 at 2:33 PM, teomingern said:

Those rims are crazy... so large... ride quality will be crap...

Lately the tech for DCC has improved by quantum leaps. Test drive a arteon with 20inch rims to know what I mean .. it has 15 variations of settings n smart enough to dampen the pot holes

↡ Advertisement