Leisure travel will return from 2nd half of 2021. Chiong for vaccination now!

BabyBlade

COVID-19 Travel Pass  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Will you travel 2H onwards if getting vaccinated guarantees you a Travel Pass w/o a need to quarantine?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Wait and see.
    • Wait till 2022.
    • Wait till 2023.
    • It will never be safe to travel again.

Internal Moderator

rk_aviation_110321.jpg.96a92e241dc78190a8c75abd871427bc.jpg

Personal and leisure travel will return from the second half of this year as borders reopen to tourists hungry to be free again and to reunite with families and friends, the director of the International Air Transport Association (Iata) said in an interview with The Straits Times.

Mr Alexandre de Juniac said the recovery in business travel will be slower, and the actual volume of travel by the year end will still be low compared with the pre-Covid-19 period in 2019.

"We will likely start seeing a change in the air travel landscape after May or June this year," he added. "We at Iata are already working with states to design and plan protocols and road maps for the reopening of borders."

Key among these protocols is Iata's Travel Pass, a mobile health verification app which electronically captures a traveller's vaccination history and Covid-19 test results for cross-border safety checks.

Singapore Airlines has been the first to officially announce that it will begin testing the Iata Travel Pass on flights from Singapore to London.

Beginning Monday, passengers on that route using Apple iOS-enabled phones will be able to download the Travel Pass app and create a digital identification with their photo and passport information.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/personal-travel-will-return-from-2nd-half-of-2021-iata-chief

This will probably be the key driver for the vaccination take up rate. Humans will never stop wanting to travel. Being vaccinated does not guarantee you 100% immunity against the virus nor does it guarantee you will not cause the spread of the virus but I think the aviation industry, economies and people in general are getting desperate so we'll definitely be seeing more travel movements 2H onwards. Question is, will this cause another round of outbreaks? Is it really safe to travel so soon?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

31 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

rk_aviation_110321.jpg.96a92e241dc78190a8c75abd871427bc.jpg

Personal and leisure travel will return from the second half of this year as borders reopen to tourists hungry to be free again and to reunite with families and friends, the director of the International Air Transport Association (Iata) said in an interview with The Straits Times.

Mr Alexandre de Juniac said the recovery in business travel will be slower, and the actual volume of travel by the year end will still be low compared with the pre-Covid-19 period in 2019.

"We will likely start seeing a change in the air travel landscape after May or June this year," he added. "We at Iata are already working with states to design and plan protocols and road maps for the reopening of borders."

Singapore Airlines has been the first to officially announce that it will begin testing the Iata Travel Pass on flights from Singapore to London.

Beginning Monday, passengers on that route using Apple iOS-enabled phones will be able to download the Travel Pass app and create a digital identification with their photo and passport information.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/personal-travel-will-return-from-2nd-half-of-2021-iata-chief

This will probably be the key driver for the vaccination take up rate. Humans will never stop wanting to travel. Being vaccinated does not guarantee you 100% immunity against the virus nor does it guarantee you will not cause the spread of the virus but I think the aviation industry, economies and people in general are getting desperate so we'll definitely be seeing more travel movements 2H onwards. Question is, will this cause another round of outbreaks? Is it really safe to travel so soon?

Govt is probably going to be very cautious. Look at the effort they spent at making that connect Changi place. The supposed bubble with HK, now almost 1/2 year already still no sound.

Though the rate of vaccination in UK/USA is progressing quite decently.

The swabs are uncomfortable and really turn off a lot of people.

I won't travel until everyone decides to not do funny things like change plans last minute. Anyway the kids can't get vaccinated for now, so no point for families.. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5

30 minutes ago, Beanoyip said:

Just go, life too short to think about other things..

That's what I told my MIL.

:D

• Haha! 2

If for leisure maybe still can wait a while, even though the borders are reopening. Unless you have families to reunite in overseas then no choice.

• Praise 1

with half the world not willing mean they can still manager the volume, maybe need to control those from Europe and US.

Faster book your trip to Japan.

All my pics in the Hokkaido thread made many people mouth water already and they cannot wait to go.

Book your flights now before all sold out.

:D

Today is anniversary of Fukushima tsunami.

Respect to all the hero's of Fukushima and the Fukushima 50.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

5 minutes ago, 13177 said:

If for leisure maybe still can wait a while, even though the borders are reopening. Unless you have families to reunite in overseas then no choice.

By the Christmas holidays it will be 2yrs since we've not seen some family so, yes, if prices are not stupid then I would like to take time for a flight schedule early December. Should have been given my shots by then also.

49 minutes ago, Scion said:

the pent up demand will cause the air ticket prices to surge xx%? 

😈

Air ticket prices are already very high

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, yishunite said:

Air ticket prices are already very high

Very high because of limited flight.

• Praise 1
  • Sad 1

Supersonic
1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

I want go Jb nia for now. I don't ask too much. 

The day the border is open, i think we will see the greatest, great grandmother of all jams lasting 3 days, 3 nights...

• Haha! 7

"It will never be safe to travel again."

Ouch! "Never" is a long time! That's apocalyptic man!

Maybe at best one could argue, that travel has *never* been safe. 😀

I wonder how many adult Singaporeans have never actually left the country, not even once.

Edited by CremornePt
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Govt is probably going to be very cautious. Look at the effort they spent at making that connect Changi place. The supposed bubble with HK, now almost 1/2 year already still no sound.

We're one of the very few near-zero infection countries. There's growing speculation, that we'll be the last category of countries to reopen, possibly years after things start moving elsewhere...

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1