New camera to spot parking offence

StreetFight3r

The Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) is going to test whether parking offences can be detected in real time using cameras mounted on vehicles.

S'pore using camera mounted on vehicle driven by 1 person to spot parking offences

Offences targeted include parking along double yellow lines, against traffic flow, and in lanes with a single continuous white line across a bi-directional road.

The six-month trial's objective is to find out if using video analytics on a moving vehicle can identify and classify various types of parking offences, a URA spokesman said on March 18.

The trial will start in the second half of 2021.

At least 15 roadside car parks in areas such as Tanjong Pagar and Little India will be used for the trial.

If successful, its deployment can cut manpower to seek out offenders.

Only one person will be needed to drive a vehicle during enforcement operations.

Such offences have to be verified physically.

The technology is expected to work under all weather and lighting conditions.

An enforcement vehicle will have a video camera, a licence plate recognition programme, and an artificial intelligence engine that processes video footage.

AI will determines if a vehicle has been parked illegally.

It can then classify the offence.

It should also pick up heavy vehicles parked in spaces meant for cars.

Tests will be conducted on weekdays between 8.30am and 6pm, as well as between 7.30pm and 10.30pm.

The Straits Times reported that it understands that enforcement action will not be part of the trial.

parking-enforcement-camera-vehicle.jpg

ST_20210319_KGTEST19_6408696.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Totally support this idea. I'm sick and tired of always seeing idiot car owners treating the roadside or loading bays like their private VIP lots - hogging loading bays or just leaving their vehicles unattended at the most inappropriate spots (e.g. T-junctions, narrow minor roads etc).

Some can leave their vehicles unattended without leaving on their hazard indicators, fold their mirrors nicely and even put up the sunscreens on their windows! And leave it there for at least half a day!

• Praise 2

46 minutes ago, Comage said:

Totally support this idea. I'm sick and tired of always seeing idiot car owners treating the roadside or loading bays like their private VIP lots - hogging loading bays or just leaving their vehicles unattended at the most inappropriate spots (e.g. T-junctions, narrow minor roads etc).

Some can leave their vehicles unattended without leaving on their hazard indicators, fold their mirrors nicely and even put up the sunscreens on their windows! And leave it there for at least half a day!

Sent it to LTA lo

• Praise 1

@inlinesix Did that many times already. Oftentimes parking warden comes and just puts a "this is a warning ticket, there is no fine issued this time" and then goes off. 

The car owner comes and sees the slip, leaves it there and goes off about his business. 

The irony is that there is a "Vehicles parked illegally will be towed away" sign right beside the area... But everyone knows HDB has no tie-up with any towing companies to tow away errant vehicles. 

Edited by Comage
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

51 minutes ago, Comage said:

@inlinesix Did that many times already. Oftentimes parking warden comes and just puts a "this is a warning ticket, there is no fine issued this time" and then goes off. 

The car owner comes and sees the slip, leaves it there and goes off about his business. 

The irony is that there is a "Vehicles parked illegally will be towed away" sign right beside the area... But everyone knows HDB has no tie-up with any towing companies to tow away errant vehicles. 

Those signage maybe just for show only? Even i see those enforcement camera installed at those service road at hdb, still can see many cars parked there.

• Praise 1

@13177 Yes indeed its for show. Even those with parking cameras installed seem to be dummy cameras or something. 

I seen before wardens take 30mins to arrive at the scene, and still stand there wait for 15mins before issuing the parking ticket. The warden could've reviewed the camera footage and saw the car was there for hours already, and issued the ticket right away! 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Comage said:

My car kenna summon twice for parking in loading/unloading bay in my own estate.

• Shocked 1

33 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Want to park , don't scare,  if scared, don't park 😀

Indeed...

And I'm starting to think this topic is not going to interest many (to post their response)... 🙂

• Haha! 1

17 hours ago, Comage said:

After 9/11 , parking at the electrical substation was a security concern..

nowadays , u see trailers openly flouting the rule without batting an eyelid

thats a worst offence if there is a electric failure , the whole district goes down. And if it’s a hybrid vehicle that catch fire.. ?

Unless it’s a tow away offence, n the fine goes to the operators like in Australia, the behaviour of the road user will not change

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1

@Sdf4786k Exactly. I'm not for nor against tow-away measures... But just very puzzled why the govt put up such "scarecrow" measures (that fake sign warning vehicles parked will be towed away...) when there obviously is no tow truck services engaged for such services anywhere. 

Our G has so much money to throw to 3rd party doing this " Bo liao " job, sometimes really don't know what they are good at, or we are perplexed by their behaviour, simply thy feels that motorists are a bunch of ATM ready to drain us dry . . .  every street corners, lamp post, sheltered walkway , corner bend blocks, T- junction, and heavy traffic coffee-shop all installed with CCTV, Camera and security alarm installed.

It only draw 2 conclusions,  either our city is full of noisy parkers, crime-committers, motorists and cyclists jay-walkers and speedsters or we are too happy to pull the trigger and sleep though knowing that after midnight, our city is safe throughout the night.

By placing a white elephant Van does it mean, motorist will get a fine or tow away ?

• Haha! 1

Supercharged

I thought the next generation ERP has real time GPS tracking of the car?

why do they still use this old tech? emmm.....

19 minutes ago, Phang said:

I thought the next generation ERP has real time GPS tracking of the car?

why do they still use this old tech? emmm.....

Why? Because they will make more from letting people break the law then fining them gao gao than enforcing the law too strictly all the time. 

Same reason they won't monitor your GPS speed in real time with a friendly reminder to ask you to slow down. 

And same reason they're unlikely to implement automatic parking charges based on GPS location and time that you're stationary at non-gantry carparks.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

23 hours ago, Comage said:

yup I always see cheapo driving merc, bmw or taxi driver like to park outside the 2 semi-D between siglap open air carpark and the siglap coffeeshop when they are not visiting the people from the 2 semi-D! so inconsiderate! just because they dun wanna pay a few cents to park in the open air big carpark! 

Supercharged
43 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Why? Because they will make more from letting people break the law then fining them gao gao than enforcing the law too strictly all the time. 

Same reason they won't monitor your GPS speed in real time with a friendly reminder to ask you to slow down. 

And same reason they're unlikely to implement automatic parking charges based on GPS location and time that you're stationary at non-gantry carparks.

ahh.. now I see which one is the goose that laid golden eggs

Edited by Phang
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1