Is your car's fuel meter accurate?

Yuning

Just curious, I read some testers in China tested different cars on fuel consumption and claimed that different car brands and car models fuel consumption shown on the meter do not match the real consumption. 

Does anyone in singapore tested those? For example, how much fuel does you car drink in 1000/5000km? Vs how many litres you pumped? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

My take is the car fuel meter will not be super accurate. It is just an indication.

The best way to calculate fuel will still be recording your per tank mileage whenever you go to petrol kiosk and pump petrol.

But then again, if you upsize your rim before, the odometer reading will also be slightly off.

Aiyah, life is short, why so calculative. 🤣

• Praise 7

28 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

My take is the car fuel meter will not be super accurate. It is just an indication.

The best way to calculate fuel will still be recording your per tank mileage whenever you go to petrol kiosk and pump petrol.

But then again, if you upsize your rim before, the odometer reading will also be slightly off.

Ya lo, just enjoy your ride. 😁

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
22 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Basically if someone asks me my car's fuel consumption, I just reply "yes". 😁

Hahha. Yah. My car consume petrol. hehehhe.

But I dunno how much only. hahahahaha

• Haha! 2

tldr; mine's inaccurate.

longstory: the fuel meter needle goes up slightly after i drive, however my ride is old and the fuel economy is getting worst as day's go by. 🤕

2 hours ago, Count-Bracula said:

My previous car was a heavy drinker, lucky never ever kena police spot check.

dont say so loud, @Turboflat4 one is super heavy drinker legally. 😃

• Haha! 1

You can try to be more accurate using amount pumped instead of the trip computer but you will still be relying on the car's computer for the mileage so there is still a 10% max error.

Internal Moderator
11 hours ago, markw12 said:

tldr; mine's inaccurate.

longstory: the fuel meter needle goes up slightly after i drive, however my ride is old and the fuel economy is getting worst as day's go by. 🤕

Just tape over the fuel indicator. See no evil! 🙈

• Haha! 2

Whatever the figures the car maker offer is done in a lab, a controlled environment. What you do and how you drive is very much up to you. Comparing your unpredictable driving behaviour and driving route to the figure from the car maker how accurate do you want it to be??

However what you could do is compare your daily drives if they are predictably the same everyday. That would be more useful info on how not to waste fuel from the way you drive. You compare with the car maker when you dunno what they do to get those figures, it is just unproductive.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
38 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Whatever the figures the car maker offer is done in a lab, a controlled environment. What you do and how you drive is very much up to you. Comparing your unpredictable driving behaviour and driving route to the figure from the car maker how accurate do you want it to be??

However what you could do is compare your daily drives if they are predictably the same everyday. That would be more useful info on how not to waste fuel from the way you drive. You compare with the car maker when you dunno what they do to get those figures, it is just unproductive.

don't compare, don't compare. 人比人,氣死人. 😂

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

If you really want to check FC , there should be a meter reading to convert from Km/l to $ /Lt..

I am very sure you will not vroom vroom at the traffic lights if it say 7dollars per Lt idling.. all of a sudden, the enlightenment n wisdom of start stop becomes very relavent.. 😆

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

On 3/24/2021 at 7:41 PM, Yuning said:

Just curious, I read some testers in China tested different cars on fuel consumption and claimed that different car brands and car models fuel consumption shown on the meter do not match the real consumption. 

Does anyone in singapore tested those? For example, how much fuel does you car drink in 1000/5000km? Vs how many litres you pumped? 

IMHO.
Over 4 tanks of petrol,   my car's  dash shows an average of 5.3% better FC vs actual.

Edited by Kklee

34 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
Over 4 tanks of petrol,   my car's  dash shows an average of 5.3% better FC vs actual.

I have read something that many brand will under calculate till 15%... That's why I'm asking. 

On 3/25/2021 at 8:48 AM, Toeknee_33 said:

My experience:

Merc: Accurate

Toyota/Lexus: 5 - 8% optimistic

My limited experience with a low-end Merc taught me that it is not really good to rely on its FC figures. When I drive I always like to set the display to indicate possible mileage, which unfortunately keep fluctuating with a Merc car because Merc try to give you updated status quickly. So you could start your trip with possible mileage at 50km with fuel tank indicator/meter showing as such, but it can be extended all the way to 200km after 20min if you take your car to expressway with no traffic. You can literally see the possible mileage magically keep increasing even as you are driving. But say if unfortunately get caught in a bad jam soon after then you will start to be panicky as you see the possible mileage decreasing like crazy after awhile. The Honda car I have is much more conservative - a bar of possible 30 bars will give possible mileage of about 20km, +/- a realistic margin. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1