AC Cooling coil expensive to replace

Cirruslogic

22 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

$20 to double check is cheap. That’s what I did 1.5years back.mine was low on gas, due to normal leakage over 10years. Top up and fine ever since. I need to add that it was a recently bought 10year old low mileage car with 1 owner. Heard the hissing from the expansion valve and used  it to lower the price that I paid to the direct owner.  So I took my chances with a $20 top up. If I remember correctly, injecting dye will be much more. 
 Unless it damn obvious where the leak is, with a big patch of compressor oil stain. Chances are your will still be charged to inject dye to see where the leak is. Else how to check? 

You had the advantage that the previous owner had "paid" for it!😀

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

yah. my honda is constantly at 23 deg. Cuz Michael Jordan no. hahahahah.

My fan speed toggle unit speed 3 sibei strong le. I most of the time is only at the lowest fan speed.

You guys are like whales on wheels! 

I 25 is beh tahan liao, most of the time is 26 to 28.

If weather is good, I turn off aircon wind down windows and enjoy the drive. 

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

4 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Yes, 治标不治本。

then u wrong liao😁

to some super calculative ppl it dun work that way.

say his car need top up every 1 mth, 1 time top up cost 20 buks he will count 'i top for 1 year + every mth once only cost me like -400 buks. why would i spend 700 to fix'.

trust me , many such ppl around🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

On 25 March, 2021 at 11:41 AM, Toeknee_33 said:

Long story.

During the recent cold spell, 1 night, i felt very cold in the car, so upped the temp from the usual 22.5 to 26.5 degC. A week later, when the sun finally emerged, i felt the aircon was not freezingly cold like before. Brought the car to Markcool, and they diagnosed as cooling coil dirty/leaking and wanted $1300 and 2 days of downtime. Arrangements were made to drop the car off the next day.

I thought about it as I was driving off, and felt that the diagnosis was not right. If it was dirty, the decline should be gradual. If it was leaking, then why no hissing sound and the aircon gas was still full? Besides, i dont fancy the idea of stripping out the dashboard and end up with a cabin full of rattles. I decided to stop and do research on MCF, found that L&Kim was recommended, drove from Woodlands to Ubi

The young technician did the usual diagnosis (check compressor running, aircon gas full, noted that the hoses were cold), whipped out his gadgets, went inside the car, quickly noticed that 1 side of my dual zone climate control was cold and the other side was not, attached his tablet, pressed a few keys, and told me its settled. He explained that the solenoids controlling the air-mixing flaps have gotten stuck and didnt return to its normal position when I upped the temp to 26.5. All he did was to reset them. Job done. And he declined payment.

Left the place a happy man.

Bro, You should have tip him $10-20.00, the check is foc, his profound knowledge and diagnosis cannot be ignore, not including time and energy, ( all of us earning a living ) even he refused payment, ask for his mobile no.( do a pay now ) [laugh]

• Praise 3

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Phluvcat said:

You guys are like whales on wheels! 

I 25 is beh tahan liao, most of the time is 26 to 28.

If weather is good, I turn off aircon wind down windows and enjoy the drive. 

Wah.... this is sunny Singapore. Surprised that 26-28 in the car is ok!

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Beregond said:

then u wrong liao😁

to some super calculative ppl it dun work that way.

say his car need top up every 1 mth, 1 time top up cost 20 buks he will count 'i top for 1 year + every mth once only cost me like -400 buks. why would i spend 700 to fix'.

trust me , many such ppl around🤣

Not me la. I rather fix it right once confirmed. But if the car is gonna scrap soon. Then maybe it’s a viable option. 
just did the same for the home Aircon. Top up the 1st time after 10years after a repair of the compressor fan. Which then proceeded to leak out within 7mths. Likely a leak happened after the whole compressor was brought down from the ledge to service. Then bite bullet and replace the whole system Liao. Can’t be bothered to trace and top up every 6mths. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Wah.... this is sunny Singapore. Surprised that 26-28 in the car is ok!

My wife and some colleagues also find it cold, maybe my 26 to 28 is actually 21 to 23??? Calibration out liao? 

My wife is the type sleep AC 23 and she had another fan blasting away. 

I had to wear socks and some mornings I simply cannot move... frozen 😭

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

53 minutes ago, Meanmachine said:

Bro, You should have tip him $10-20.00, the check is foc, his profound knowledge and diagnosis cannot be ignore, not including time and energy, ( all of us earning a living ) even he refused payment, ask for his mobile no.( do a pay now ) [laugh]

True, I didn't think of that. Hope I have made a contribution to his business by sharing my story here. 

• Praise 2

Twincharged
50 minutes ago, Phluvcat said:

My wife and some colleagues also find it cold, maybe my 26 to 28 is actually 21 to 23??? Calibration out liao? 

My wife is the type sleep AC 23 and she had another fan blasting away. 

I had to wear socks and some mornings I simply cannot move... frozen 😭

What car if you don’t mind. 

On 3/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, kobayashiGT said:

L&Kim rocks! hahaha.

Anyway, I not affiliated with him. I just like how honest Mr Loo is!

i had a pleasant experience with L&Kim in Kaki Bukit 

• Praise 1

Wow, glad many people had good experience at Kim. The boss really is a nice guy. His shop used to be at geylang.

Everytime you asked him for discount, he will give $20 off. 🤣

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

25 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Porsche Mecan? 😁

How I wish, then I will sell it for moolah and get one those old nsx, dc2, r34 (?) ... 😘 and got spare change... 😬

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Wow, glad many people had good experience at Kim. The boss really is a nice guy. His shop used to be at geylang.

The boss is good but the chinese staff not that thorough, and simply recommend

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
12 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Next time I try! 🤣

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
52 minutes ago, kr_mcf said:

The boss is good but the chinese staff not that thorough, and simply recommend

Agree. About 2 years back there was a Chinese Malaysian  act smart one. Man handled my engine bay parts and I specifically told him that one part he was trying to remove cannot be pulled apart and it was a whole piece. Had the old C32 then, the parts were unique and if it broke, had to ship in from Germany. Till I got fed up and told him loudly not to tug at it and break it. Must talk to boss. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1