AC Cooling coil expensive to replace

Cirruslogic

On 3/25/2021 at 5:30 PM, Stratovarius said:

Seems that this L&kim is a must visit. My AC recently got hissing sound and not as cold as before. Might go down and ask them for a check.

You drive Forester right? If nevet change Condenser or Cooling coil before, should make a visit.

↡ Advertisement

On 3/26/2021 at 2:06 PM, Scholesy said:

Hi bro...but the compressor stil cut in and out. Does it mean low temp or high temp it doesn’t affect? 

Not all car run with compressor cut in and out. 

I think most conti compressor is permanent on. My MIJ also permanent on.

• Praise 2

15 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Wow, glad many people had good experience at Kim. The boss really is a nice guy. His shop used to be at geylang.

Everytime you asked him for discount, he will give $20 off. 🤣

The boss is good but the chinese staff not that thorough, and simply recommend

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Good stuff. That means no need replace the magnetic clutch? 😁

Nope. Which means it’s super smooth. Also the compressor is always running to dry the air. I would think even it heater mode it does it. Else the interior of the car will be foggy in winter. 

• Praise 1

20 hours ago, Tohto said:

hmm ok my 2018 MIJ still cut in and out. 

On 3/28/2021 at 12:22 PM, Tohto said:

Ya, even Kia in around 2000 use always ON method liao.  To reduce noise.  They achieve temp control by mixing hot engine coolant air.......

On 3/27/2021 at 4:23 PM, Phluvcat said:

You guys are like whales on wheels! 

I 25 is beh tahan liao, most of the time is 26 to 28.

If weather is good, I turn off aircon wind down windows and enjoy the drive. 

Your back won't be sweaty meh? I only recently drove without aircon last Dec when it was very cooling, but still had to wind up the windows and turn on aircon when i enter expressways.

I have heard good reviews from my friends, New Luck Car Aircon at Kaki Bukit Autobay. Same SOP as what I read here about L & Kim, try to fix first, replace only as last resort.

• Praise 3

Neutral Newbie
On 3/27/2021 at 11:40 AM, Mkl22 said:

$20 to double check is cheap. That’s what I did 1.5years back.mine was low on gas, due to normal leakage over 10years. Top up and fine ever since. I need to add that it was a recently bought 10year old low mileage car with 1 owner. Heard the hissing from the expansion valve and used  it to lower the price that I paid to the direct owner, saying that there was a leak in the system. He didn’t see is as a problem initially cause he seldom uses the Aircon. 
 So I took my chances with a $20 top up. If I remember correctly, injecting dye will be much more. 
 Unless it damn obvious where the leak is, with a big patch of compressor oil stain. Chances are your will still be charged to inject dye to see where the leak is. Else how to check? 
the point I want to bring across is that not all leaks are due to hole in the system. Could be normal leakage over time. I’m sure had I gone to another shop, I would have been told that this and that needed to be changed. 

i second this.  there are alot of theories online saying there close loop and making comparisons to refrigerator and aircon close loops. In fact, that is not really true having it experience myself on my 6 yr old car.  Like someone posted car leaks can be due to movements etc. I topped up my gas at $25 at ws and was quite sceptical that it will  solve my car ac blowing out warm air. The top up has been 4 mths and my ac is still cold. It is a cheap remedy to confirm if there is a need other diagnosis. 

Edited by Memphisb
  • Praise 2

Sorry to hijack your thread but I can't post in this section yet. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

My questio is: I have 2018 2.0L car. Recently the aircon is not cold. I sent to a workshop to check on the aircon system. They've checked my told me need to change the compressor as the current one is spoilt. They gave me 1 month warranty for the recon compressor. On top of that they advise me to do the chemical flushing on my car. So I did. After $400, 2-3 times of driving and 3 weeks later, the car is not cold anymore. So I went back and ask them to check which to my surprise they said my cooling coil is damage and needs a replacement. They proceed to make a call and ask the price. So I argued, the compressor and the cooling coil cannot be spoil at the same time right? They already checked it. But they insist that my cooling coil is spoilt and need replacement because the gas is empty and they said the leakage on the cooling coil is the problem. I asked them to show me leakaged which they cannot show me any. They say it's under the dashboard and need to pry open and install a new one.
Angry and depress I asked them to unplug whatever hose they were plugging into my car and I just want to get out of there. From North area I drove to East where my usual mech is. He advise me to top up the gas first and monitor from there onwards. It's been 5 days and 4 rides so far the aircon is really cold. My question is are they trying to conned me? Or legitly there is a leakage? Or worst if my car compressor wasn't even spoilt and they made me change it. It's a 2018 sedan 2.0 car and mileage is 100k for now. Any feedback?

• Shocked 1

Twincharged
On 3/2/2023 at 3:34 PM, neo_yamakasi said:

Sorry to hijack your thread but I can't post in this section yet. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

My questio is: I have 2018 2.0L car. Recently the aircon is not cold. I sent to a workshop to check on the aircon system. They've checked my told me need to change the compressor as the current one is spoilt. They gave me 1 month warranty for the recon compressor. On top of that they advise me to do the chemical flushing on my car. So I did. After $400, 2-3 times of driving and 3 weeks later, the car is not cold anymore. So I went back and ask them to check which to my surprise they said my cooling coil is damage and needs a replacement. They proceed to make a call and ask the price. So I argued, the compressor and the cooling coil cannot be spoil at the same time right? They already checked it. But they insist that my cooling coil is spoilt and need replacement because the gas is empty and they said the leakage on the cooling coil is the problem. I asked them to show me leakaged which they cannot show me any. They say it's under the dashboard and need to pry open and install a new one.
Angry and depress I asked them to unplug whatever hose they were plugging into my car and I just want to get out of there. From North area I drove to East where my usual mech is. He advise me to top up the gas first and monitor from there onwards. It's been 5 days and 4 rides so far the aircon is really cold. My question is are they trying to conned me? Or legitly there is a leakage? Or worst if my car compressor wasn't even spoilt and they made me change it. It's a 2018 sedan 2.0 car and mileage is 100k for now. Any feedback?

Normal lah...Bad Luck,sometime flushing done more harm,bit the Bullet..just change.

• Praise 1

@neo_yamakasi It might be a small leak in the coil. Continue to monitor for longer period, if the A/C not cold, then most likely you have to change the coil as well. If they hook up the system, they should be able to tell just from pressure reading

Hypersonic
On 3/2/2023 at 3:34 PM, neo_yamakasi said:

Monitor it for longer after the gas top up. 

If there is a leak at the cooling coil or condenser, it will be slowly leak and after a few weeks and not cold again.

A good aircon repair workshop will able to find the root cause. 

BTW, you did not mention how old is your car and what is the current mileages. 

Twincharged
(edited)
On 3/2/2023 at 3:58 PM, Tohto said:

Monitor it for longer after the gas top up. 

If there is a leak at the cooling coil or condenser, it will be slowly leak and after a few weeks and not cold again.

A good aircon repair workshop will able to find the root cause. 

BTW, you did not mention how old is your car and what is the current mileages. 

He said 2018 Car,100,000Km but never mention what Make & Model.

Edited by ER-3682
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2