AC Cooling coil expensive to replace

Cirruslogic

47 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

Seems that this L&kim is a must visit. My AC recently got hissing sound and not as cold as before. Might go down and ask them for a check.

hissing sound from the vent high chance is gas issue.

when not enough gas, some time the block value at the coil there produce the hissing sound

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Twincharged
32 minutes ago, Beregond said:

hissing sound from the vent high chance is gas issue.

when not enough gas, some time the block value at the coil there produce the hissing sound

To add further turn to max cold and then manually on and off Aircon via the a/c button if you have it. If you hear hissing 1-2sec after pressing a/c button then likely is low on gas. 

• Praise 6

On 3/24/2021 at 10:50 PM, Cirruslogic said:

On Sunday I discovered my 2018 Honda Vezel was not blowing cool air. When I googled AC problems in cars, one article said in most cases the cooling coil was faulty.

True enough, the technician had to remove and install a new cooling coil. It was an expensive episode. The workshop charged me 380 dollars for part and labour. The labour charge made up most of the cost. Has anyone repaired at a cheaper price? So disappointed. I thought a Japanese made car won't have issues like this. I wanted to go JB and repair but of course that is not possible during these times.

Reasonable price. Pls give hint of name of yr mech.

22 hours ago, Hamburger said:

Best is to set it to the lowest possible temp. Car air con don't run on thermostat and no merits in setting a higher temp than the lowest possible. And it certainly have no bearing on longevity of the hardware nor FC. 

Full blast for me anytime any day. 

Hi bro...but the compressor stil cut in and out. Does it mean low temp or high temp it doesn’t affect? 

@Toeknee_33 

Thanks for the reply.

Certain popular workshop is not consistent. I have read quite s few reviews/complaints about it. 

I have learnt this thru experience. One ws in AMK Industrial Park 1 told me the compressor spoilt after detecting a gas leak (which he did not tell me). I paid him for the gas top up and walked off. I continued to use the same compressor for another 9 years, till I changed car!

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Fitvip said:

@Toeknee_33 

Thanks for the reply.

Certain popular workshop is not consistent. I have read quite s few reviews/complaints about it. 

I have learnt this thru experience. One ws in AMK Industrial Park 1 told me the compressor spoilt after detecting a gas leak (which he did not tell me). I paid him for the gas top up and walked off. I continued to use the same compressor for another 9 years, till I changed car!

woah. That is one sturdy aircon leh. hahah

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Scholesy said:

Hi bro...but the compressor stil cut in and out. Does it mean low temp or high temp it doesn’t affect? 

Compressor cut in and out at a pre set temp set in the system, not the temp we set that blows in our face  from the vent. 

Do a test on hot day, time the compressor cut in and out intervals between 16deg or 28 deg. 

Both should exhibit the same interval timing. 

• Praise 2

On 3/24/2021 at 10:50 PM, Cirruslogic said:

On Sunday I discovered my 2018 Honda Vezel was not blowing cool air. When I googled AC problems in cars, one article said in most cases the cooling coil was faulty.

True enough, the technician had to remove and install a new cooling coil. It was an expensive episode. The workshop charged me 380 dollars for part and labour. The labour charge made up most of the cost. Has anyone repaired at a cheaper price? So disappointed. I thought a Japanese made car won't have issues like this. I wanted to go JB and repair but of course that is not possible during these times.

$380 reasonable liao. The work to reach the cooling coil no joke.

3 years old car but what’s the mileage?

• Praise 1

On 3/25/2021 at 3:40 PM, Hamburger said:

Best is to set it to the lowest possible temp. Car air con don't run on thermostat and no merits in setting a higher temp than the lowest possible. And it certainly have no bearing on longevity of the hardware nor FC. 

Lowest temperature on highest fan speed?  You must be hot!  😂

• Haha! 2

Twincharged
9 hours ago, Fitvip said:

@Toeknee_33 

Thanks for the reply.

Cheapest is always to top up gas,if low and try first. 

• Praise 1

On 3/25/2021 at 2:43 PM, Beregond said:

dun need top up if perfectly ok. new car 2-3 years also dun need touch 1

Old car many years also no need to touch , but once touched can be  touch and touch.😅

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Old car many years also no need to touch , but once touched can be  touch and touch.😅

As the saying goes,

Dont trouble trouble if you don’t want trouble to trouble you. 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 8

On 3/25/2021 at 3:40 PM, Hamburger said:

err nihon car, u set to lowest temp, i think its way too cold [laugh] BMW 18 degrees is not even a toyota's 25 degrees. my honda is 22 degrees, just change fan speed.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

err nihon car, u set to lowest temp, i think its way too cold [laugh] BMW 18 degrees is not even a toyota's 25 degrees. my honda is 22 degrees, just change fan speed.

Me hot bro, all my pervious jap or conti once I sat in, the  A/C dial would be turned anti clockwise. 

There were couple of time it was too cold and that's when I off the A/C switch manually. 

Just do not like the idea of reheating a cold air again. Waste of energy. 😬

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

yah. my honda is constantly at 23 deg. Cuz Michael Jordan no. hahahahah.

My fan speed toggle unit speed 3 sibei strong le. I most of the time is only at the lowest fan speed.

• Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Cheapest is always to top up gas,if low and try first. 

If there is a leak, topping up is a waste of $. The leak must be fixed first.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Yes, 治标不治本。

• Praise 1

Twincharged
26 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

$20 to double check is cheap. That’s what I did 1.5years back.mine was low on gas, due to normal leakage over 10years. Top up and fine ever since. I need to add that it was a recently bought 10year old low mileage car with 1 owner. Heard the hissing from the expansion valve and used  it to lower the price that I paid to the direct owner, saying that there was a leak in the system. He didn’t see is as a problem initially cause he seldom uses the Aircon. 
 So I took my chances with a $20 top up. If I remember correctly, injecting dye will be much more. 
 Unless it damn obvious where the leak is, with a big patch of compressor oil stain. Chances are your will still be charged to inject dye to see where the leak is. Else how to check? 
the point I want to bring across is that not all leaks are due to hole in the system. Could be normal leakage over time. I’m sure had I gone to another shop, I would have been told that this and that needed to be changed. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6