Need advice on scratches caused by another car

nch87

Mazda car was behind me when the green turning arrow appear. As the car in front of me did not turn, I decided to just wait for the next green light. Mazda car decide not to wait and change lane but bump into my car and drove off. Left some scratches on my car bumper. Any advice on what we should do in such situation? 

191CAC16-3D63-40C5-B474-292D4DA2C580.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, nch87 said:

Mazda car was behind me when the green turning arrow appear. As the car in front of me did not turn, I decided to just wait for the next green light. Mazda car decide not to wait and change lane but bump into my car and drove off. Left some scratches on my car bumper. Any advice on what we should do in such situation? 

191CAC16-3D63-40C5-B474-292D4DA2C580.jpeg

Nothing much you can do. You can report hit & run, but be prepared to get your car fix at your own cost also.

At least you got footage lah. not so bad.

Report hit and run. If scratches on bumper only, claiming against the other party's insurance may mean a few days of down time (they send surveyors, agree to repair costs etc). Just repair yourself should be less than 200 and 1 day job. 

You have to decide for yourself.... 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

If claims 3rd party, party at fault insurer might reject it.

Might need to wait till police investigation before any claims can be made.

• Praise 1

Got into this kind of situation before. Twice. 

First time went for private settlement. 

Second time, I just reported to my own workshop and let them start the repairs - the guy said with video footage and my vehicle being stationary it is a clear cut 100% towards my favour.

So I let my workshop start the fixes and they claim from the other guy. 

I did not pay a single cent to my workshop. 

Sure, you "claim" your own insurance first and your NCD is indeed impacted until they claim it back from the other guy's insurance (NCD will be reinstated then), but since it is a clear-cut case, it doesn't matter ultimately. 

You will get the claim successfully. All in all it took 6 months to settle everything. I even got a couple hundred bucks for the few days downtime for loss of car use. 

Edited by Comage
  • Praise 3

7 hours ago, Comage said:

Got into this kind of situation before. Twice. 

First time went for private settlement. 

Second time, I just reported to my own workshop and let them start the repairs - the guy said with video footage and my vehicle being stationary it is a clear cut 100% towards my favour.

Sure, you "claim" your own insurance first and your NCD is indeed impacted until they claim it back from the other guy's insurance (NCD will be reinstated then), but since it is a clear-cut case, it doesn't matter ultimately. 

You will get the claim successfully. All in all it took 6 months to settle everything. I even got a couple hundred bucks for the few days downtime for loss of car use. 

There is a discussion right now about how things can go wrong if you make an own damage claim, trusting the workshop and your insurer to give you back your money in due course.

https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/topic/2712581-car-insurance-questions-and-answers/?do=findComment&comment=7068274

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4

7 hours ago, Comage said:

yes. if ts got video evidence should go let 3rd claim ws access the video. if they are 100 can win, they wil take up your case without u paying a single cents, and u will get a spare car foc also.

not to mention if u got time to burn , u can go hospital check up for neck pain😁

• Haha! 2

11 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Report hit and run. If scratches on bumper only, claiming against the other party's insurance may mean a few days of down time (they send surveyors, agree to repair costs etc). Just repair yourself should be less than 200 and 1 day job. 

You have to decide for yourself.... 

Singapore law needs an urgent amendment in so many respects. 

No one who is provably not at fault in an accident should suffer the slightest financial penalty. Since all insurers are supposed to be under the GIAS, they should be legally compelled to make the innocent party whole, regardless of bodily injury or not. This nonsense about insurance companies finding loopholes when one driver doesn't report, when the other driver makes an OD claim to get his car (which he needs for work or personal reasons) repaired urgently, when one party is drunk etc etc, should be stamped out hard. 

Along with the gahmen actually giving a f**k about odometer tampering, a clear fraudulent criminal act - it's the most important thing our jiak liao bee gahmen should be busying themselves with. 

• Praise 4

8 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

No one who is provably not at fault in an accident should suffer the slightest financial penalty. Since all insurers are supposed to be under the GIAS, they should be legally compelled to make the innocent party whole, regardless of bodily injury or not. This nonsense about insurance companies finding loopholes when one driver doesn't report, when the other driver makes an OD claim to get his car (which he needs for work or personal reasons) repaired urgently, when one party is drunk etc etc, should be stamped out hard. 

Along with the gahmen actually giving a f**k about odometer tampering, a clear fraudulent criminal act - it's the most important thing our jiak liao bee gahmen should be busying themselves with. 

It all boils down to the LACK OF CONSUMER PROTECTION.

Forget GIAS.  It is to protect insurers.  Not you and me.

MAS being the regulator of the insurance industry should show more fang to protect the consumer.

Even Malaysia and India mandates insurer of the party at fault pays 1st.

Lastly, a lot of ppl don't know that you can complain to MAS.  I know you will say it is useless.

Every complaint has a record.  In addition, an insurer has to answer your complaint.

No complaint = no issue hor.

• Praise 2

8 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

It all boils down to the LACK OF CONSUMER PROTECTION.

Forget GIAS.  It is to protect insurers.  Not you and me.

MAS being the regulator of the insurance industry should show more fang to protect the consumer.

Even Malaysia and India mandates insurer of the party at fault pays 1st.

Lastly, a lot of ppl don't know that you can complain to MAS.  I know you will say it is useless.

Every complaint has a record.  In addition, an insurer has to answer your complaint.

No complaint = no issue hor.

Agree with most of what you say. Hold MAS to account. They're JLB in chief, in my opinion. 

But why let GIAS off the hook? They're all in cahoots with the powers that be, in my opinion. Screw them all big big, in full public view. And hold them to account slowly, in a battle of attrition. 

• Praise 1

53 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

The "powers" are more interested in you buying the insurance for the car, not actually interested in the insurance companies actually paying their dues and keeping to their part of being an actual insurance company.

like il6 mentioned, you consumers can go fork yourself

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

There is a discussion right now about how things can go wrong if you make an own damage claim, trusting the workshop and your insurer to give you back your money in due course.

https://www.mycarforum.com/forums/topic/2712581-car-insurance-questions-and-answers/?do=findComment&comment=7068274

Can't comment much on this guy's experience - but it's probably the insurance company with its fineprint at work here. 

Of course I'm not saying because I did it successfully, others sure can as well. 

If the victim's vehicle is stationary, it helps swings the claim towards the victim's favour. 

When I made my claim, my workshop didn't ask me to pay a single cent. They said they'll just proceed to fix my car and get it back from the other guy. 

There was also no excess for me to pay... 

• Praise 2

48 minutes ago, Genes said:

The "powers" are more interested in you buying the insurance for the car, not actually interested in the insurance companies actually paying their dues and keeping to their part of being an actual insurance company.

like il6 mentioned, you consumers can go fork yourself

Sure. I'll go fork myself for now. 

But every 4 to 5 years, that forking will go the other way. At least for the "wise ones". 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1