Porting Car Warranty

MyCarMykar

hey guys, I have heard some people say they can ask their trusted workshop to take over their car warranty from their dealer. 

dont think there are much talks about this, or maybe I didnt search enough.

can explain how the process goes ? curious to know. =D 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic
16 minutes ago, MyCarMykar said:

hey guys, I have heard some people say they can ask their trusted workshop to take over their car warranty from their dealer. 

No head no tail

Who are these 'some people'?

And u toking abt AD factory warranty or chao ah beng workshop warranty?

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
15 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

fca180c6b7df75831687eddaf1d623a4.jpg

Porting?

Can dont anyhow use your own fancy words? Transfer say transfer lo. Simi Porting?

🤣 Walnut blasting safer. hahha.

@MyCarMykar If the workshop willing to accept this as business, then of cuz they can transfer/port/pass to another owner.

It is just a term, doesn't mean you will get the best out of it. Warranty is a very grey business. Best is AD and also warranty that is vetted by MAS. This will give you the best protection for the price you pay for the warranty.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
20 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Porting?

Can dont anyhow use your own fancy words? Transfer say transfer lo. Simi Porting?

Can understooted la

Maciam port number from loan shark mobile line to Jamesc MIL's mobile line

• Haha! 10

Supercharged
24 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

fca180c6b7df75831687eddaf1d623a4.jpg

Porting?

porting is IT guys' jargon 😁

• Praise 1

Nothing wrong to use the word "port".

Budden, i find no reason that a 3rd party workshop would take responsibility of the warranty of a car bought from other dealership. Its like a friend come looking for me to repair his sumseng phone for free. Unless the mechanic has links to the AD workshop or you signed a handsome service package with them. 

• Praise 2

50 minutes ago, MyCarMykar said:

This is likely a PI case. A workshop will get a small token from a Pi, then take over the "warranty" obligation  from there . After all, this is what the small PIs are doing , pay a small sum to buy warranty from negotiated workshops.

• Praise 1

(edited)

I dunno what ppl learned in school. Abusing the vocab and twisting the meaning of the words.

If you speak like that in other parts of the world ppl will think you have very poor vocab. If you think you are smart with words, I beg to differ.

The transfer of warranty is approved provided it is within the dealer's network of workshops. If dealer and workshop are not affiliated, choy lee doh sor.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

Nothing wrong to use the word "port".

Budden, i find no reason that a 3rd party workshop would take responsibility of the warranty of a car bought from other dealership. Its like a friend come looking for me to repair his sumseng phone for free. Unless the mechanic has links to the AD workshop or you signed a handsome service package with them. 

not say cannot. maybe its like we extend warrently for our electrical stuff like tv. we pay money.

if the dealer willing to pay any 3rd ws to take over the warrently. everything can be discuss as long as got money to make.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

I dunno what ppl learned in school. Abusing the vocab and twisting the meaning of the words.

If you speak like that in other parts of the world ppl will think you have very poor vocab. If you think you are smart with words, I beg to differ.

The transfer of warranty is approved provided it is within the dealer's network of workshops. If dealer and workshop are not affiliated, choy lee doh sor.

One can be good or clever with words. The use of smart here is incorrect.

If you speak like that in other parts of the world ppl will think you have very poor vocab.

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
2 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

This is likely a PI case. A workshop will get a small token from a Pi, then take over the "warranty" obligation  from there . After all, this is what the small PIs are doing , pay a small sum to buy warranty from negotiated workshops.

These kind of 'smelly warranty', the onli thing it protects is the PI who has basically transferred all their risk to the buyer.....

• Praise 1

44 minutes ago, Soya said:

These kind of 'smelly warranty', the onli thing it protects is the PI who has basically transferred all their risk to the buyer.....

emmm. actually can look at it from another direction. its already happening around us.

most pi esp small pi dun have ws. they pay 3rd party ws to fix their car. in a way its like selling the warrently to the ws already , just indirectly.

like alot of AD use subcon.

there is no risk to the buyer as long as the pi or which ever ws take over the warrently  uphold the contract and fix whatever damage under warrently period.

the only risk to the buyers is do they know the details of their warrently?  for example, only gear box and engine got 3 years, absorber 1 years, brake disc no warrently. babababa..

Supersonic
57 minutes ago, Beregond said:

emmm. actually can look at it from another direction. its already happening around us.

most pi esp small pi dun have ws. they pay 3rd party ws to fix their car. in a way its like selling the warrently to the ws already , just indirectly.

like alot of AD use subcon.

there is no risk to the buyer as long as the pi or which ever ws take over the warrently  uphold the contract and fix whatever damage under warrently period.

the only risk to the buyers is do they know the details of their warrently?  for example, only gear box and engine got 3 years, absorber 1 years, brake disc no warrently. babababa..

What I meant was PI simply pay ah beng workshop a small sum to absolve themselves from warranty obligations 

Ah beng workshop then impose mandatory servicing as a condition for warranty validity juz like some ADs. The real motivation in taking on such 'warranty' is to make money from servicing. Small repair probably still ok but anything major, not sure how they can afford to underwrite. They can play the run around game until buyer loses patience n gives up.... 

For AD, they can back charge warranty repair costs to the factory. That's why factory recalls for PI car they willing to do coz it's income for them

Same paper it's written on but can yield different results 

• Praise 2

Supercharged

i believe even ADs also will sub out some of their jobs, after their workshops running at full capacity 

On 4/1/2021 at 8:46 PM, Phang said:

i believe even ADs also will sub out some of their jobs, after their workshops running at full capacity 

AD sub out is a different thing,  the warranty liability still  lies with AD. Porting of warranty is another different matter, meaning a workshop takes over the warranty completely,  and I can imagine, when runs into a major defect issue, one will be on his own 😂😂

• Praise 1