1. 1. What Vehicle Should SAF buy

• Toyota Hilux
    • Ssangyong Musso
    • Mercedes-Benz G-class
    • Ford Ranger
    • Land Rover
    • Others - name your choice

(edited)

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/saf-looking-to-replace-ageing-utility-vehicles-in-100m-deal?&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social-media&utm_campaign=addtoany&fbclid=IwAR0XTaksJlpvsF3OfYnmz_5Zp83aWUN3UxgCGnqxSxujT39WDPyUK1pH3hs

SINGAPORE - The Singapore Armed Forces is looking to replace its ageing fleet of light utility vehicles in a deal estimated to be worth more than $100 million.

Motor industry sources said the SAF had been seeking to replace several hundred Land Rover Defenders, Mercedes-Benz G-class offroaders and Ford Everest SUVs, and had been in talks with various brands for close to five years now.

In response to queries filed by The Straits Times more than a month ago, a Ministry of Defence spokesman confirmed early this week that the SAF was looking to buy some 1,300 light utility vehicles to be used "for training and operations".

He said these vehicles were to replace its ageing fleet of Land Rover Defenders and Mercedes-Benz 240GDs, both of which have been in service for more than 30 years.

A tender was called by the Defence Science and Technology Agency in late-2019, but Mindef has kept mum about the results.

It would only add that "the new light utility vehicles are expected to be delivered from 2022".

The replacement exercise is similar to one Mindef did in 2007 when it acquired 870 Ford Everest SUVs for around $85 million. Those vehicles are already 14 years old this year, and starting to show their wear.

According to sources, several models are in the running for the latest replacement exercise.

They include:

Mercedes-Benz G-class

This rugged offroader is used by armed forces around the world, and is known for its ability to navigate extremely rough terrain. But like the Land Rover Defender, the new model, launched in 2018, is significantly bigger and far more luxurious than its predecessor, and may be deemed to be too costly.

Ford Ranger

The current generation Ranger was introduced in 2011, and given a facelift in 2015. It is the smallest pick-up truck from Ford, and is used mostly as a general utility vehicle, although it has occasionally been adapted for military use. The Ranger is the only model being sold by local agent Regent Motors. There is a high-performance variant called the Raptor.

Ssangyong Musso

This Korean twin-cab pick-up truck was made in collaboration with Mercedes-Benz. Ssangyong also supplies a version to the South Korean Armed Forces, which uses it as a military command vehicle. It is also deemed to be the most price-competitive option here.

Toyota Hilux

One of the oldest flatbed trucks in the world, the Hilux was first introduced in the 1960s. It is seen as a workhorse by construction firms, farmers, and logistics companies. It is also an all-purpose utility vehicle in America. The Hilux is highly confirgurable. In 2007, one was converted here to be used as a yellow-top taxi.

Lai lai, let's help SAF choose their new vehicles..

Personally, I'll get a Toyota, but not the Hilux..

The Landcruiser or Prado..

But I can understand why SAF likes the Hilux... 

I mean, if the terrorists like it, it must be good 

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2015-10-09/terrorists-love-of-toyotas-is-no-mystery

image.thumb.png.3b2c4b1092f88c00f152f55992b12bc9.png

https://abcnews.go.com/International/us-officials-isis-toyota-trucks/story?id=34266539

Toyota Hilux pickups, an overseas model similar to the Toyota Tacoma, and Toyota Land Cruisers have become fixtures in videos of the ISIS campaign in Iraq, Syria and Libya, with their truck beds loaded with heavy weapons and cabs jammed with terrorists. The Iraqi Ambassador to the United States, Lukman Faily, told ABC News that in addition to re-purposing older trucks, his government believes ISIS has acquired “hundreds” of “brand new” Toyotas in recent years.

“This is a question we’ve been asking our neighbors,” Faily said. “How could these brand new trucks... these four wheel drives, hundreds of them -- where are they coming from?”

image.png.bc907ca7d9ed14fb942d23c8e193e179.png

Edited by therock
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 12

(edited)

Just get the Landcruiser 70 series, militarised it and call it a day already. 

image.thumb.png.66eeadab8a06eb742c7176e4bef963fc.png

But knowing SAF, Toyota not atas enough. So it will be some Euro/Conti brand like Mercedes, MAN etc. If they go for the new LR Defender, they're nuts as Jaguar Land Rover products aren't reliable. 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Haha! 8

(edited)

pretty no brainer. Toyota any day.

Well at least the Ford Everest had a nice cold aircon.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

it make sense to get a toyota. ( only from financial pov) but saf is loaded. super loaded.

so i really doubt they will buy this😁

• Haha! 1

KNN... Defender can use 30 years but Everest only 14 years? Pui!

Regards to the replacement model, i am 85% sure it will come from any brand represented by ST Kinetic. MAN Truck is the best example :D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

5 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Regards to the replacement model, i am 85% sure it will come from any brand represented by ST Kinetic. MAN Truck is the best example :D

My thoughts exactly. Left pocket to right pocket 😁

• Haha! 1

If they serious about reliability definitely Hilux/Landcruiser. Everywhere in third world country these are the only ones worth buying

But somehow I suspect it will be another problemchild Mercedes (when I was in NS I remember MB GD 240/290 terrible for maintenance)

• Haha! 4

38 minutes ago, Beehive3783 said:

Defender Aluminum. Ford? Rust bucket!

Just get Hilux - Toughest truck in the world, as proven by Top Gear.

If they decide ion G63, then need to go to Mdm President to use reserves!

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Why no one mention this? 

tesla-cybertruck-live-unveiling--novembe

• Environmental friendlier - Checked (zero emissions while on the move)
  • Tactical - Checked (relatively silent when moving) 
  • Tough - Checked (at least as shown during presentation)
  • Subject for WIT project - Checked (how to charge while in the wild) 

:D:D:D

• Praise 6
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 11

11 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Why no one mention this? 

All divisional battle plans will have to be made with charging stations in mind.

No charging station, we won't attack 😁

• Haha! 4

2 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

All divisional battle plans will have to be made with charging stations in mind.

No charging station, we won't attack 😁

Occifer: Men, CHARRRGGGGEE!

PTE: Ok sir can smoke break after we hook up the truck??

• Haha! 5

2 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Occifer: Men, CHARRRGGGGEE!

PTE: Ok sir can smoke break after we hook up the truck??

Or it may be....

Occifer: Men, CHARRRGGGGE!

PTE: Yes sir! AC or DC fast charge sir?! Permission for smoke break during the charge sir! 

🤪

• Haha! 5

39 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Why no one mention this? 

Makes perfect sense - Load up with Claymore and C-4 and just key in the enemy's CP address and let it self drive there before detonation.  Monitor enroute using the Teslacam of course!

Just hope the enemy troops don''t shoot at it with anything bigger than 9mm.  Or hit the windows with with a ball bearing.

• Haha! 3

Nuting will ever replace the old skool defenders.  No need scrap... put in resale market, sure get snapped up.

Most nsf drivers drive conti brands like mercs benz tonners n land rovers wen serving country... after rod/ord.. downgrade drive own  jepun n kimchi cars.. 🤭

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged
(edited)
5 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

Just get the Landcruiser 70 series, militarised it and call it a day already. 

image.thumb.png.66eeadab8a06eb742c7176e4bef963fc.png

But knowing SAF, Toyota not atas enough. So it will be some Euro/Conti brand like Mercedes, MAN etc. If they go for the new LR Defender, they're nuts as Jaguar Land Rover products aren't reliable. 

My tax dollars!!!!. Please don’t waste money on a money pit British rubbish again. 

it’s hilux or Isuzu d-max for me. 

Edited by Mkl22
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4