74 members have voted

1. 1. What Vehicle Should SAF buy

• Toyota Hilux
    • Ssangyong Musso
    • Mercedes-Benz G-class
    • Ford Ranger
    • Land Rover
    • Others - name your choice

If we leave it to Toyota... I reckon we will get a 4" screen with a 5" border :D 

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Usually Gov't Tender depends alot how the Car's Factory Warranty,servicing & parts costs,etc,why Gov't Choose BMW Products.?LHL's Car,Traffic Police Patrol Cars & Motorcycles.?Because BMW Asia give good Offers..

• Praise 2

I have driven the G-Class (jeep and 1.5 tonner), 1st gen Isuzu D-Max and Nissan Pickup (D21) during reservist. G-Class is the best without any doubt, in handling, ground clearance and load carrying ability. D-Max is pretty comfortable (probably it was the latest addition at the point of time) but sound quite raw when push hard (in off road mode). Nissan is the worst, with soft suspension and low load carrying capacity. I have personally experienced breakdown with the Nissan even when driven on normal road.

I will vote G-class based on my user experience.

autowp.ru_mercedes-benz_g-klasse_militar

44e62c198572d6eab5e57b907398bad1.jpg

If die die have to choose a non-conti model, I will give my vote to either Isuzu D-Max, Mitsubishi Triton and Toyota. I shall give Ford a past, as they don't seems to be able to outlast the other model mentioned above.

• Praise 7

Oh ya, was VC for a G Class too... very luxurious... but the cost of maintenance, and purchase price makes the Landcruiser / Hilux a better choice..

• Praise 1

34 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I have driven the G-Class (jeep and 1.5 tonner), 1st gen Isuzu D-Max and Nissan Pickup (D21) during reservist. G-Class is the best without any doubt, in handling, ground clearance and load carrying ability. D-Max is pretty comfortable (probably it was the latest addition at the point of time) but sound quite raw when push hard (in off road mode). Nissan is the worst, with soft suspension and low load carrying capacity. I have personally experienced breakdown with the Nissan even when driven on normal road.

I will vote G-class based on my user experience.

autowp.ru_mercedes-benz_g-klasse_militar

44e62c198572d6eab5e57b907398bad1.jpg

If die die have to choose a non-conti model, I will give my vote to either Isuzu D-Max, Mitsubishi Triton and Toyota. I shall give Ford a past, as they don't seems to be able to outlast the other model mentioned above.

If SAF get the G-Wagon, I will be very unhappy as a rich man who just bought one of these to show off....only to mocked at, that I've spent so much on a more luxurious version of what the SAF had 😁

image.thumb.png.bb8df1a0dfe9de4f89c6f5f731dc98ea.png

• Haha! 3

Twincharged
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Please lah, buy what utility vehicle.

Just Grab or GoJek gao tim. Don't need to service don't need to train drivers. 

Exactly! all the key appointment holders just give them a sum of money for grab to and from work. Worst case top up for premium grab. Waste my tax dollars for Audi and merc staff car for what? 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

why do the choices include two open bed "pick ups" (Hilux n Ranger) and the others are closed compartment SUVs? shouldn't it be Fortuner n Everest instead?

i've driven the Defender quite a bit during NSF (vocation not driver but had SAF licence + cross country training). Drove both locally and overseas. Have encountered a case where SAF driver got stuck in a ditch in life-firing area n i managed to free the vehicle and allow exercise to proceed without waiting for a tow truck. Also ran out of torque a few times due to overloaded vehicle on long steep road up a mountain. Had to remove some cargo/passengers to go up the mountain LOL. Unfortunately no chance to drive g-wagen then.

for work, i've driven n been driven in quite a few workhorses - hilux, fortuner, ranger, everest, d-max, trooper, triton, prado, prado sport (not all same era). Alot of time spent on dirt (when dry) and mud (when wet). Have gotten tail-happy more than a few times and saw a colleague literally slide on mud into a massive flooded canal (vehicle totalled).

Given a choice, i'd say refurbish the Defenders and give them a new lease of life. But perhaps not feasible? Otherwise, get the Fortuner or Pajero with the right specs. Or if they wanna do a full customisation, start with Hilux/Triton as a base.

It's a pity the new Defender is nothing like its predessor. I agree with some online reviewers that say it should hv been badged as the new Disco.

• Praise 7

Turbocharged
32 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Freeport mine in Irian Jaya. All Toyoya's. Enough said! 

Screenshot_20210402_001841.thumb.jpg.befb33f0a0249c86b183870831e755a1.jpg

yellow Caterpillar lagi best [laugh]

• Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Shibadog said:

yellow Caterpillar lagi best [laugh]

can consider when replacing 5tonner or is there a 7tonner

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
10 hours ago, Didu said:

Ask SAF to align to Govt's green plan. Start thinking alternative energy for all future military vehicles. Cannot ask us to all convert to EV, while MID plates continue to pollute the air right?

the-tesla-cybertruck-4.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

thiss one liao lor.

• Haha! 2

You’ll need a really long extension plug from base camp to wherever we are going 😂 

or you ask their pm to build more charging stations 😜 

• Haha! 1

9 minutes ago, therock said:

You’ll need a really long extension plug from base camp to wherever we are going 😂 

Every truck would carry its own genset in the back. 

• Haha! 1

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Every truck would carry its own genset in the back. 

OYK will say this method not green :a-noway:  LPPL.

• Haha! 1

Supercharged
1 hour ago, therock said:

Need tactical charging stations. Those enemy cannot see one.  :grin:

Just now, Didu said:

Need tactical charging stations. Those enemy cannot see one.  :grin:

In all seriousness, cannot la..

My friend bought this kickass G Shock in Camo, and he laid the thing down during an ambush, then he couldn't find the thing... very sad after, haha

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 6