1. 1. What Vehicle Should SAF buy

• Toyota Hilux
    • Ssangyong Musso
    • Mercedes-Benz G-class
    • Ford Ranger
    • Land Rover
    • Others - name your choice

3 minutes ago, Didu said:

Maybe fuel cell might be a better option for military vehicles.

That's good. If we can blow it up as a last resort... but the enemy might do that too, haha..

But in practice, our soldiers will end up charging their phones on the USB ports and then when we need to move, the car is dead... :D 

• Haha! 4

I think high chance might not be the Hilux coz last I heard, Toyota doesn't want to have anything to do with the military. The Toyota cars you see in the middle-east countries are all not brought in through official means - many of them were gray or used imports. If you noticed, there aren't any Toyota cars used by militaries around the world save for those used by terrorist forces.

Correct me if I'm wrong lah haha.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

(edited)

Better buy euro 2 engine one 

those. Euro 5 6 one a lot of problem

those euro 2 one simi oil also can use

Edited by Mustank
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
21 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Better buy euro 2 engine one 

those. Euro 5 6 one a lot of problem

those euro 2 one simi oil also can use

You can drive to back yard of industrial street to pump your 'or you'.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

53 minutes ago, ZYJDLING said:

I think high chance might not be the Hilux coz last I heard, Toyota doesn't want to have anything to do with the military. The Toyota cars you see in the middle-east countries are all not brought in through official means - many of them were gray or used imports. If you noticed, there aren't any Toyota cars used by militaries around the world save for those used by terrorist forces.

Correct me if I'm wrong lah haha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mega_Cruiser

image.thumb.png.43c12e90412c8e14a59e4e0b29d8554f.png

By Hunini - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=63981693

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

Why nobody talk about the main requirements?

I think whatever they choose it has big shoes to fill. In the past the LR Defender can carry troops(their barang barang) and mount vehicle signal sets(2x) (4 lead acid batteries and railing to mount speakers) all into a single LR. When I look at the Ford I wonder what can be fitted into it. I have to say the old beat up LR Defender has no worthy successor...not even the latest model.

When I entered NS I already have my driver's license. I was posted to armour but i was in signal formation. When my unit went overseas for training my unit lack drivers. So those like me were sent for x-country course for a day. It was in Mandai campII back then. I have to say it was fun. The instructor was same rank as me...LoL so he was nice to me. Our training was in Ozzie I did most of the self drive with my occifers so again it was fun cos no speed limit over there.  Those scholar commanders are using Land Cruisers. It can only mount one signal set with a customised bracket. It is big inside it but it is still no LR. The LandCrusier drives like a big luxury car, actually it is one. I have the chance to drive it within base camp in Ozzie. It is quiet for a diesel and like the LR it has two fuel tanks that you could switch between tanks. The range is just incredible.

Once they ditch the LR defender a lot of things have to throw away. Things like the metal mounting board for the vehicular signal sets. We used to mount the signal set speakers on the LR railing. How to do that now? The types of signal sets...actually there are many types but only us who went thru advance signal course we know what they are and all of which fits into the LR Defender. Now maybe they have to mount it on tonner. LoL...

The old LR Defender is imo the most ideal vehicle ever. Now soldiers are not so lucky. Use modern vehicles that is not as good as the LR. As for the list up there I think the most suitable is still the Merc G class. When I drove commanders jeep I believe their chassis is the same as the G class now, the 4x4gearbox and drive is very good compared to the LR. But the one I drove was way too small. I think it will no doubt be very ex too to get the modified G class to suit our army. 

It is a difficult choice cos none of the above can seriously replace the old LR Defender. Too bad they dont build it like it is anymore.

• Praise 9

Hypersonic
5 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I think whatever they choose it has big shoes to fill. In the past the LR Defender can carry troops(their barang barang) and mount vehicle signal sets(2x) (4 lead acid batteries and railing to mount speakers) all into a single LR. When I look at the Ford I wonder what can be fitted into it. I have to say the old beat up LR Defender has no worthy successor...not even the latest model.

When I entered NS I already have my driver's license. I was posted to armour but i was in signal formation. When my unit went overseas for training my unit lack drivers. So those like me were sent for x-country course for a day. It was in Mandai campII back then. I have to say it was fun. The instructor was same rank as me...LoL so he was nice to me. Our training was in Ozzie I did most of the self drive with my occifers so again it was fun cos no speed limit over there.  Those scholar commanders are using Land Cruisers. It can only mount one signal set with a customised bracket. It is big inside it but it is still no LR. The LandCrusier drives like a big luxury car, actually it is one. I have the chance to drive it within base camp in Ozzie. It is quiet for a diesel and like the LR it has two fuel tanks that you could switch between tanks. The range is just incredible.

Once they ditch the LR defender a lot of things have to throw away. Things like the metal mounting board for the vehicular signal sets. We used to mount the signal set speakers on the LR railing. How to do that now? The types of signal sets...actually there are many types but only us who went thru advance signal course we know what they are and all of which fits into the LR Defender. Now maybe they have to mount it on tonner. LoL...

The old LR Defender is imo the most ideal vehicle ever. Now soldiers are not so lucky. Use modern vehicles that is not as good as the LR. As for the list up there I think the most suitable is still the Merc G class. When I drove commanders jeep I believe their chassis is the same as the G class now, the 4x4gearbox and drive is very good compared to the LR. But the one I drove was way too small. I think it will no doubt be very ex too to get the modified G class to suit our army. 

It is a difficult choice cos none of the above can seriously replace the old LR Defender. Too bad they dont build it like it is anymore.

Does SAF still using the AN/PRC 77 signal set now?

• Haha! 2

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Tohto said:

I dunno. I MR a decade ago. Anyway we dont use that in our unit. I considered it old back then. We were using newer sets. 

I was in armour using a lot of the vehicular sets for armoured vehicles and LR. The manpack we used are similar to the vehicular sets (those has frequency encryption). My time all the old sets w/o frequency encryption has been phased out.

Edited by Watwheels

I used to drive the LR when young, not even 18, don't ask me why and how, cannot say. It was my first attempt to test the LR since the key were in ignition and not used on weekends . . . as a young boy it was all manual gears and I know how it works by reversing and engaging forward drive, it was a sheer delight . HeeHa[drivingcar]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

Hypersonic
2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I dunno. I MR a decade ago. Anyway we dont use that in our unit. I considered it old back then. We were using newer sets.

Same, MR long long ago. Not sure how they set up the Signal set even to Ford Everest.

14 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

driver the old land rover in tekong for almost 2 years.

damn solid whatever  terrain also can go😁

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Same, MR long long ago. Not sure how they set up the Signal set even to Ford Everest.

For sure the Ford cant do as much as the LR Defender.

16 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I agree. I remember when Ford first arrived to replace the LR and I took one look at it and said wtf this scholar thinking...

But the modular design of landrover that made it so good at do-anything cannot be done in SUV shape. Need to purpose built from bottom up and SAF is too small fry globally to get a auto maker to do that. The best is pickup body like Hilux (too terrorist haha). Alternatively just make it much bigger until everything also can fit like a Hummer.

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic
7 minutes ago, yishunite said:

I agree. I remember when Ford first arrived to replace the LR and I took one look at it and said wtf this scholar thinking...

But the modular design of landrover that made it so good at do-anything cannot be done in SUV shape. Need to purpose built from bottom up and SAF is too small fry globally to get a auto maker to do that. The best is pickup body like Hilux (too terrorist haha). Alternatively just make it much bigger until everything also can fit like a Hummer.

Have to get ST Kinetics to make one.  

• Praise 2

(edited)
53 minutes ago, Tohto said:

That one just give to the enemy - they will die if backache carrying it! 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Tohto said:

Have to get ST Kinetics to make one.  

Then every vehicle cost like $500k each?

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1